High chair--wooden or plastic? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 11-10-2004, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With ds#1 we were newlyweds who at dinner on the couch in front of tv, and baby sat in bouncy set to eat meals. Then we got him a plastic booster seat/high chair to attach to our existing kitchen chairs when he started eating solids. Now we are a little family with a 2 yo still sitting in his booster. I feel bad letting Thomas sit in the swing or boucy seat way far away from us at the table. I want him to join in, but he's not sitting up yet. so my options are narrowed down to this...I think. If you can think of more let me know.

1. Plastic booster chair like the one we bought other child. But should I get this one to recline so that young baby can join us at the table? Do these chairs bring them up high enough to see what is going on at the table or will he be staring under the table while we eat?

2. Regular high chair that is plastic and reclines and has padding and stuff. I am really against getting one of these and I can't quite put my finger on it. It seems like it would get in the way (small kitchen and dining area)

3. Wooden high chair. I hear they last longer and I love the way they look. If i did this I would have to continue to hold Thomas in lap or sling while we eat until he is big enough to sit in wooden high chair by himself.

Now that I have laid out all these options I think the booster seat that reclines and attaches to our kitchen chairs is the most practical thing. I still want to hear opinions about wooden highchairs though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 11-10-2004, 03:18 AM

I really wanted a Stokke Kinderzeat, well, actually I wanted the European version (the TrippTrapp) since it can be used from 6mo. But sadly, our kitchen table is a bar height table, so that wouldn't reach. This are neat because they grow with your child all the way to an adult chair. Svan also makes a smilar seat and it's US version does work for babies.

Eddie Bauer makes a wooden highchair with a plastic tray which is availble in mainstreamy places (Target, Babies R Us).

We ended up with your #2 option. I, too, was against it, but am now glad we have it. We can put DS in it already and he is just 6 weeks. I thought about the booster option, but we only have 2 chairs for our table, so we would have had to get another one. :LOL: We wanted to go ahead and get it even though we only have 1 kiddo b/c with our bar height table he seemed so far away in the bouncy seat even with it at our feet!
#3 of 8 Old 11-10-2004, 05:32 AM

We have the Svan chair and we love it. It fits ds really well (much, much better than a standard plastic high chair), it looks so nice, and I love the fact that you can pull it right up to the table. (It comes with a tray but we don't really use it b/c we want to have ds right at the table with us. But it's nice to have it as an option). It is super pricey but as SiValleySteph said it can be used from baby to adult. Personally I think it is well worth the $ if you can swing it. You would need to wait until your baby can sit up though before you could start using it. It also doesn't take up too much room, I believe less than the usual plastic/metal highchairs.

ETA: Another option would be to get one of those chairs that attaches directly to the table. The one we saw in the store looked really comfy and nicely padded, we were considering it but it wouldn't work with our particular table. Again you would have to wait until your baby can sit up but it does let them be right at the table with you.

#4 of 8 Old 11-10-2004, 01:16 PM

I vote reclining booster at the table. We did this for our first and just yesterday I asked dh to haul it out from the shed. I guess it depends on the table but he could see us just fine. I think the baby will like it, he sits with me while we eat but is starting to grab for my plate and placemat! hth

Mama to Boy (10) Other Boy (7) and Girl (4)   mdcblog5.gif in my profile!

#5 of 8 Old 11-10-2004, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
I have a wooden one that lasted through my two kids and was lent to several babies. It has some scratches but still going strong.
#6 of 8 Old 11-10-2004, 01:55 PM

With my first son, A., until he was big enough to sit at the table in his high chair, we pulled his swing up close to the table, in between my and husband's chairs. Now with our second son, H., we do the exact same thing. H. isn't high enough in the swing to actually see up onto the table but he is happy to swing and hear us talking and eating. And of course since he's right next to us we are able to engage him and make him apart of our family meals. When H. is big enough he will join us at the table in the wooden high chair his brother used.
#7 of 8 Old 11-11-2004, 12:26 AM

We opted for a wooden chair because we knew it would be a permanent piece of furniture in our dining room for several years to come, and didn't want a cheesy looking hunk of plastic. It still looks beautiful and brand new after the abuses of one child, I really think it'll be an heirloom kind of piece. Before Talia was big enough to use it, and now with Anika, we would either hold her in lap or sling or put her in a bouncy seat right on the table.
#8 of 8 Old 11-11-2004, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I used to have just a booster/highchair that fit onto a regular chair. However, I recently bought a top of the line plastic chair and I have no regrets, except the cost! My baby tube-feeds and I wanted a place where she could sit comfortably for the 30 mins. it takes to feed her every 4 hours. Wheels to drag it around the house while she's feeding, and a vinyl-coated seat pad in case she vomits, which she does a lot. The tray wraps around the seat, and removes to leave a hidden snack tray underneath. Oh, and the top of the tray comes off to be cleaned. With all her feeding therapy and tube-feeds it was a very good investment!

When shopping for a high chair, keep in mind that you'll be cleaning it several times a day, so get one that doesn't have a lot of cracks and crevices for gunk to get into. Get something comfortable, too.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page