Homemade formula - Mothering Forums

#1 of 10 Old 04-20-2005, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is bieng discussed elsewhere and this link for homemade formula was posted. Apparently someone else on a different board the op visits does this for her baby. While I see the logic behind wanting to feed a baby more natural ingredients I am bothered by these. It does not seem to me that these recipes can possibly supply a baby with all the varied nutrients he or she needs.
http://www.westonaprice.org/children/recipes.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 04-20-2005, 02:46 PM

Your link isn't working for me, but that won't stop me from commenting, LOL! (I have seen that site before, and have the recipies in my files) Before I start, I'll disclose that I am a ped, and a neonatologist, so my opinions may be tainted in some folks' minds. I am very committed to human milk for all infants, and am focusing my career in this area.

I'm hesitant to post, but I can take any venom resulting, I guess.

I believe that human milk is the most appopriate food for all infants, and that nothing else should be given for at least 6 months, for healthy full-term babies. (And babies should be breastfed until a natural weaning)

BUT...

There has been a lot of research into the nutritional needs of babies, and their growth in the first years is so important to long term development. And the AIM companies have used those data to make their poor substiutes for mother's milk. After reading the recipies for whole food formulas, I agree that they may not have all the nutrients babies need in this vulnerable time. There are not well-controlled studies of growth and development of babies fed these homemade formulas. We do know, however, that the epidemic of obesity, type II diabetes, and cholesterol issues is occurring in an age cohort (45-60 year olds) who were disproportinally fed homemade formula, made from goat milk or evaporated cow milk, plus other additives. This concerns me. The commerical stuff may be just as bad, but we know the growth and developmental outcomes of babies (to young adulthood only) fed these artificial milks, and although sup-optimal compared to mother's milk, at least the effect size of the difference is known.

So, I think commerical formula is the safer alternative when no human milk (mom's or a donor's) is available. There are hypoallergenic and elemental formulas that are easier on babies' guts.

yes, the formula industry is evil, especially in its marketing of AIM as an essential product for all babies. Sometimes, though, we need those artificial baby milks, and so I'm glad they are around.

I just wish they were not marketed to consumers at all.

But, everyone gets to make their own parenting choices, which I support completely.
#3 of 10 Old 04-20-2005, 02:55 PM

Moving to Life With a Babe

#4 of 10 Old 04-20-2005, 03:26 PM

My neighbor fed her 3-yr old goats milk after he was 4 mo of age from what I gather. (She had food poisioning and her milk dried up.)

She has another baby who is about 3mo old who is breast fed but she is now feeding the baby bottles of goat milk before bed to give herself a break and to get the baby used to bottles.

I thought she meant goats milk formula, but she showed me the can and it just said powdered goats milk.

I thought it seemed strange, but her 3-yr old seems very healthy and bright. She had the 3-yr old in England and said it was common there.
#5 of 10 Old 04-20-2005, 03:31 PM
Dar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yeah, and I was fed evaporated cow's milk with karo syrup, and seemed healthy and bright... but that doesn't mean it was the right thing to feed me.

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#6 of 10 Old 04-20-2005, 03:42 PM

your link is not working when i click, but i was able to cut and paste it into a browser window to get to the site. i was curious to read about it since we gave our son alternative milks from age 5 months to age 9 months due to my milk supply issues during that time. i'm not sure i understand the logic or research behind many the inclusion of many of the ingredients in formula they list there. i have seen an analysis of the various components of human milk, cow milk, and goat milk and how they compare to one another, and the most significant difference is the high amount of fat in human milk and the high amount of protein in cow milk and goat milk. this makes sense to me when i think about what humans grow up to do (use their brain for a lot of thinking and information processing) and what cows and goats grow up to do (graze in pastures). humans also have significantly less body mass than cows.

i have heard many criticisms of weston a price, and these comments have made sense to me in the past, although i cannot recall what those comments are right now. (i blame it on the mama brain...)

thanks for the link!

~claudia
#7 of 10 Old 04-20-2005, 05:14 PM

Wow - I think we are playing with a whole field of human development that is poorly understood, even in babies fed optimally (ie: own mother's milk). It's a mysterious thing, why the human brain develops the way it does, whether it is optimal under less than optimal conditions, whether long term changes result in deficiencies...it's all unknown. I think if a mama has to do something drastic to keep her baby alive, it doesn't matter so much - and then I think the pp is a good one (tarahsolazy) to read.

Good luck mamas! Andy

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
#8 of 10 Old 04-20-2005, 05:19 PM

I feed my 8 1/2 month old homemade formula from the weston price website you mentioned. I use the raw goats milk version since he was allergic to the cows milk. My reason for doing so was my sons exzema. He's all clear now. I feel I am doing the best I can for him. I am feeding him whole foods verses something made in a factory. I fed my dd formula and she did fine. I had a breast reduction 11 years ago and am unable to breastfeed. Yes we did try. As far as people saying the protein is too high in cow and goat milk, well it is but I dont give him straight milk. Its diluted to make it more comparable to mothers milk. Yes, its not the same and believe me I think about it 100 times a day but I feel I am doing something good for him. He is healthy, pink, and very bright. He is right on target with other babies his age. Says mama and dada, not just saying it he knows who is who. I am sure people will disagree and think I am harming him in some way but I dont see how this formula can be as bad as formula from a can. Its not like I am opening a can of evaporated milk and feeding it to my baby. Here is the recipe I use.

2 cups raw goat milk
1/4 cup homemade liquid whey (See recipe for whey, below)
4 tablespoons lactose*
1 teaspoon bifidobacterium infantis**
1 teaspoon regular dose cod liver oil or 1/2 teaspoon high-vitamin cod liver oil*
1 teaspoon expeller-expressed sunflower oil*
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil*
2 teaspoons coconut oil*
2 teaspoons Frontier brand nutritional yeast flakes*
2 teaspoons gelatin*
1 7/8 cups filtered water
1/4 teaspoon acerola powder*
#9 of 10 Old 04-20-2005, 06:38 PM

Dar,

I didn't mean that because my neighbor's son seems healthy and bright that goat's milk was the right thing to feed him or other infants as a child. In fact, I was wondering about this and was thinking of posting to see if that was a good thing to feed a baby before all these other threads appeared.

I don't know where she gets her info, but she did imply to me that it was a common thing to feed babies and she was dissapointed about its availability here in the states. It's possible that she did actually feed her older child a goat's milk formula, but I do know that she is feeding her younger child goat's milk, not formula, which surprised me. This baby is being primarily breastfed.
#10 of 10 Old 05-01-2005, 01:37 PM

I fixed the link: http://www.westonaprice.org/children/recipes.html

Diluted or not the ingredients are not compatible with a baby's body and needs.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page