Concerned Mom.... need advice - Mothering Forums

#1 of 11 Old 02-26-2006, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd has had these wierd sort of shudder things happening lately. I can't really explain it, I just know when it happens. It's like when a person with a muscle disease has their muscles tighten and they can't stop it. When she was in the womb she would 'shudder' too. I mentioned it to the Ob but he never really said anything.
Has anyone else experienced this or have ANY ideas of what this might be? I'm a little concerned but don't want to talk to the doctor about it if it's nothing KWIM?
Oh, and when she was born there was an infection that had walled itself off on the placental wall, she was fine but could this have had something to do with that?
Is it something I should be concerned about or just wait it out and see what happens? I wouldn't want to wait and then have something happen and the doctor say 'well if you had noticed this sooner we could have help but now...' any advice is appreciated! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 02-26-2006, 02:36 AM

Didn't want to read and not post. I'd say if you're concerned that I'd definately talk to a dr.

Can you explain the shuddering more thoroughly? Do her limbs shake? Does her head tilt to the side during these episodes? Does she seem "off" or unaware while the shuddering is taking place?

A happy woman
#3 of 11 Old 02-26-2006, 02:46 AM

I remember many others on my due date thread talking about baby shuddering in utero, seemed to be common.

More info on the current shuddering would be good.

As for..."an infection that had walled itself off on the placental wall"...are you just talking about "chorioamniotis" or something like that?

#4 of 11 Old 02-26-2006, 03:40 AM

Sometimes if babies are a little early they can shiver a little because of underdeveloped muscles. I would check with dr.
#5 of 11 Old 02-26-2006, 04:53 AM

My son had this weird thing where his leg would start to suddenly twich out of nowhere. I was worried it could be a neurological thing. I asked the doctor and she thought is was interesting, but not really a big deal. She thought maybe something about an underdeveloped nervous system. It has gone away now, but lasted several months. I don't know if this is what you mean by a shutter though.
#6 of 11 Old 02-26-2006, 07:48 PM

My seven month old has occasionally shivered like a cold breeze blew up her neck when she pees.
#7 of 11 Old 02-26-2006, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjkmaurice
My seven month old has occasionally shivered like a cold breeze blew up her neck when she pees.
My last 2 kids did this. It was a little shiver is all.

I hope this is all it is for you too ambiguousinamber
#8 of 11 Old 02-26-2006, 10:47 PM

There was a thread on this a while ago, and the general consensus was that many babies experience "pee shudders". I noticed that my son seemed to shudder before he peed or pooped. See if you can link the shudders to her elimination...
#9 of 11 Old 02-26-2006, 11:25 PM

I think if you are concerned about something like that, you should see your doctor, or at least call his/her nurse and ask. As you said, you would not want to regret it later should it be something serious and there is no harm in asking. Doctors (and their nurses) get questions all the time from first time parents and are usually happy to help evaluate over the phone whether or not your child should be seen. If yours is not, I might suggest trying to find one who is. I know I have called mine several times and even dropped by to show the nurse a little rash my babe had on her face, and there was never a problem. Good luck with it!
#10 of 11 Old 02-27-2006, 12:20 AM

There is something called infant shuddering syndrome.

I am pretty sure my youngest dd had 3 episodes of it as she fit all the descriptions of it.

We never went to the dr because from all I could read ISS seems harmless and the episodes stopped.
#11 of 11 Old 02-27-2006, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mamas thank you so much for your help! It's sort of like her arm (or arms) go stiff and it's like she can't come out of it for a few seconds or so...maybe it's that infant shuddering syndrome someone mentioned or when she's peeing. I'm going to pay more attention and check her diaper to see if it's wet after she does it. I'm also going to mention it to my doc if it happens again. I haven't seen it today and was waiting for it to happen again to try to describe it better but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyeilis
As for..."an infection that had walled itself off on the placental wall"...are you just talking about "chorioamniotis" or something like that?
I'm not really sure what this : is. The placental wall had what looked like an abruption but when sent to the lab had an infection but she was fine. Our ped said he hadn't seen anything like it. We kept her under close watch and she was fine. No fever nothing. I was just a little concerned that this could be related to that somehow. I don't remember my boys shuddering in utero so that was part of my concern. Again, I'll call the ped if it happens again. Thanks for the advice.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page