constipation with solids...what to do? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 05-09-2006, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we have just recently started our 6 month ds on solids, only every couple of days, we'll give him some carrots, banana, applesauce, or peaches to try...(i have bought it organically and pureed it for him). he loves it, but every time he eats anything besides breastmilk, he gets so constipated. i stop feeding him whatever it was (bananas, applesauce), and/or will stop feeding him solids for days. it almost never gets back to his regular bowel movements...unless, i put a bit of prune juice in a bottle with some breastmilk, and then the problem is solved. it just feels like every few days, i'm having to give him prune juice, to even him out, now that he has started solids...and that doesn't feel right somehow. is this normal? should i just persist, or do you think it's a sign i should lay off solids? he is SO interested in eating solids, though, and has been sitting for about six weeks. any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 05-09-2006, 05:26 PM

That's a lot of different foods for a six month old. I'd back waaaay off. Maybe try just pears, prunes, peaches, or peas (all high fiber) and offer only one food for a few weeks. If that's still messing him up, just stop for a while.
#3 of 7 Old 05-09-2006, 05:41 PM

I agree. Try just one food at a time.

Bananas and applesauce tend to be kind of "binding" anyway. So, lay off of those.

If you decide to do cereals, Rice is more "binding" than oatmeal.

You can always add a little bit of prunes to whatever food you are feeding him. They taste kinda good in carrots. LOL I know, it sounds gross, but they do.

Another thought. (just a guess though) is to be consistant. Feed him one meal a day at least, rather than every few days....again, it's just a thought though, I have nothing to back that up with.

#4 of 7 Old 05-09-2006, 06:51 PM

Start slow so that you can figure out what's causing the constipation. I agree with peas, pears, and prunes. One thing I didn't think of as binding is yogurt but it is...My son has a hard time pooping sometimes and I added ground flax meal to his morning oatmeal. Ask the doc first though.
#5 of 7 Old 05-09-2006, 07:12 PM

Drop the solids all together for about a week at least. Then only give about two bites 2-3 times a week. That's more than enough for a baby that age.

-Angela
#6 of 7 Old 05-09-2006, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the helpful comments! I am going to stop the solids for at least a week and then start again Super slowly, as you all suggested, and with those high-fiber foods. Thanks so much
#7 of 7 Old 05-10-2006, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna
Drop the solids all together for about a week at least. Then only give about two bites 2-3 times a week. That's more than enough for a baby that age.

-Angela

I quote this everywhere, but it's so good to me - Peggy O'Mara says in Natural Family Living that solids should be like condiments to breast milk during the first year. So true when you think about it but not something you think of right away (at least i didn't) because it's so contrary to mainstream. So DD now at 10 months is eating lots of tastes - a bite or two here or there - and mostly just BM

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page