Baby/Head Bump...WWYD? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 16 Old 07-08-2006, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My DD is 3 months old. She hurt her head. I can't SEE the bump but I can FEEL it. She seems OK, no pain & acting normally. If it were your DD would you have a Dr. look at her?

~Marie: Mom to DS(17), DS(16), DD(14), DD(10), DD(8) & someone new on the way.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 07-08-2006, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This happened to us but dd was older. I worried alot and kept a really close eye on her for anything out of the ordinary. Make sure her pupils are normal (same size, not dilated) and keep her close while she naps to be sure she doesn't have a problem in her sleep. If she is acting fine and does not appear to have pain I don't think there is any reason to see a doc. If there is anything that feels off to you or your gut is saying go then listen and go. Babies are very tough and resilient, they are made to survive things like this!
#3 of 16 Old 07-08-2006, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. The only thing out of the ordinary I have noticed is she didn't sleep last night...I have no idea if it's related. This happened about midnight last night. She normally sleeps through but she was up crying quite a bit last night. But right after she got hurt she was all smiles & laughing, no tears. I just don't know...I feel like such a jerk that it happened to begin with. I want her OK but I don't want some Dr. making a huge drama out of it either. This morning she seems totally OK. Will keep an eye on her. Thanks again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#4 of 16 Old 07-08-2006, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I fell in a parking lot carrying DS when he was around 5 months old. I managed to break the fall with one hand and land on my knees, however DS hit the pavement. He had a little bump, and seemed to be fine after the initial shock. I took him to a chiropractor a few days later and sure enough he had sustained some minor injury to his neck. I'm glad I had him looked at, otherwise he would have been very uncomfortable. You know how you feel when you're own neck is out of place! So that might be a consideration if you see a chiro regularly.
#5 of 16 Old 07-08-2006, 01:27 PM

I'd just watch her like a hawk and take her in if anything seems really off.

-Angela
#6 of 16 Old 07-08-2006, 03:53 PM

Something I've done for Ds's headbumps is put Arnica gel on it! He's never had a bump last longer than a day, if I put that on the bump. It also really seems to alleviate the pain from the bump.

Other than that, I just check out his pupils to make sure they aren't different from one another, or completely wide open in the bright sun, and I pay attention to his sleep. I would think an awake baby would just mean her head hurt, rather than there being something *wrong*. Whereas if she'd slept far far longer than normal, then I'd start to worry.
#7 of 16 Old 07-08-2006, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, guys. I feel better now & she seems fine. I was just so angry at myself over it...it could have been alot worse. :
The LAST thing I need is to drag her to the hospital and fight over not having had WBC's & vax's.
Bad mommy moment for sure.

#8 of 16 Old 07-08-2006, 04:56 PM

I don't know what happened, but rest assured that pretty much every kid will have several head bumps in their early days. It just goes with the territory.
#9 of 16 Old 07-08-2006, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Molly! It actually WAS my fault this time though. She fell off the bed. I KNEW she could roll & I KNEW she could inchworm/combat crawl. I still layed her there. I barricaded her with pillows & thought she'd be ok but she wasn't. She went up over them, to the edge, and over. What REALLY scared the pants off me was when I went in she was sleeping on the floor! HOW could a babe fall off a bed & not cry?! I was in the next room & the door was open. DH said it "knocked her out." Thanks, way to make me feel better. Then the "I TOLD you not to do that"'s started. He really did though. She was in there laying on the floor & I didn't even know it. I'm such a jerk.

#10 of 16 Old 07-08-2006, 05:37 PM

Babies fall. All the time. We won't talk about how many times my dd fell out of bed : Usually with me right there....

-Angela
#11 of 16 Old 07-08-2006, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks.

#12 of 16 Old 07-08-2006, 06:25 PM

Honestly, it's OK.

See this picture?

And this one?

There was another on there but I deleted it. Wanna know why? Because the next thing he did was fall.

Wanna know what I was doing? Taking that third picture. Of him. As he fell.

And then just a month later he was in a highchair the first time at a crowded restaurant. We said "he's getting tired, let's just put him on our laps, this highchair experiment is overrated". Then the food came and we got distracted. And the next thing DS was did was smack his mouth against the table b/c he was tired and his head drooped. And he lost a tooth.

This sort of thing happens, to everyone (OK, maybe not the tooth thing, that's pretty unique...).

We have always done the pillow barricade thing. It always worked for him, and once he really started scooting we spent a day showing him how to go feet first, which is a skill he still practices. But your girl might be a bit young; sounds like she rolled as she slept, yes? So it probably didn't knock her out (grr at your DH for saying that, by the way) but she probably just slept through the whole thing.

It's OK, really.
#13 of 16 Old 07-08-2006, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Look at the firey hair on that kid!! Anyone who knows me knows how giddy red hair makes me - I love it!! My 2 DD's have strawberry blonde hair.

Back on topic, lol...
Thanks, that really did make me feel better. All 4 of my kids coslept & they have never fallen off as babes. Older, yeah, but 3 months - NEVER! I really thought she was going to have a brain bleed or something. : And DH is SO hypervigilant about safety (which makes me go the opposite way at times...) and told me she is different than the other kids & WILL crawl off there...so, face on me, YK? So, Miss. Avery will be napping on the floor for now. (It was midnight but we weren't in bed yet.) I'm not sure if she was sleeping when she did it or if she inched her way over but she was definatly asleep when I went in there. You really think she could'a slept through that? That's what worried me most. When DH picked her up (I froze in the doorway, I'm horrible when I'm scared) she slowly opened her eyes & kind'a scowled, just as I would expect when waking her.

Anyway, thanks again. I've had a crappy day & night thinking about it & replaying it...

#14 of 16 Old 07-08-2006, 07:03 PM

I hope your baby is ok. Do not feel guilty. We all have moments where we are just not thinking. Lots of babies fall. I would say most do, just most parents don't admit it. : Ever hear of a "bouncing baby?" The good thing is that they aren't hurt, and you know what to watch for now.
#15 of 16 Old 07-09-2006, 12:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Back again- just had to post this little story. We came home from a party at my aunt's tonight and I was getting DS's bath ready. DH went into another room and DS saw him. He can crawl really fast, but I think this time he was just too tired and lost his usual good coordination. His feet slid out from under him and he smacked his face on the hardwood floor. I saw the whole thing happen, and of course he started freaking out, screaming, crying, the whole nine yards. There was nothing anyone could have done to prevent this from happening. But it still didn't stop me from feeling sad for DS We all have "bad mommy moments" I guess.
#16 of 16 Old 07-09-2006, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Feeling better...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page