For those with babes with food allergies/suspected food allergies - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 11-10-2006, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think my baby may have food allergies. I wondering at what age you first noticed food allergies in your children, what were the allergies and what was the allergic reaction? Did your child have multiple allergies?

How did you cope/help them cope?

And (hopefully) did your child eventually outgrow the allergy?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 11-12-2006, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
NAK
Sorry I didn't see this before.

We suspected food allergies when DS was 6 months. I was hospitalized and on a med that wasn't safe for nursing, so my mom gave DS similac... Well he got a rash on his face. Then I refused the meds, so I could conintune to BF. Ok.. 7 months old, he touched whipped cream and got hives on his hand. 9 months old ate a biter biscuit from Gerber, blew up in hives. 10 months old touched cheese and blew up in hives on his face. SO I took pictures of him with the hives and made appt with my pedi. He said looks like dairy allergy, gave me rx for epi-pen and referred us to an allergist.

We saw the allergist this past Wed. She looked at pics and said "yeah probably sensitive to dairy", did the scratch test on his back (so painful to watch poor tihng screamed). The nurse told us that any reaction would be a small red bump.. well he had HUGE welts. When the nurse came in to check on him, she said "oh my god" when she saw his back. So he is allergic to dairy, eggs and nuts. We are still figuring out how to cope with this now. But he has always had eczema on his belly and neck, probably from me eating dairy, eggs, nuts and breastfeeding him.. So I have stopped those foods too. There is an 80-90% chance he'll outgrow the dairy and egg. A 10-20% chance he'll outgrow the nuts. ugh..

Do you suspect allergies in you DC?

PM if you want if you have more questiions!

Linda - Mom who will never be afraid to use an Epi-Pen again! Epi-Pens save lives!
Charlie 4 yrs old, Harry 2 yrs old & someone new March 8, 2010!
#3 of 4 Old 11-12-2006, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
DD1 was always a very high needs baby, always nursing or crying, rarely sleeping. She always had a red ring around her anus and 'allergic shiners' around her eyes but I didn't know what they were. She was 1.75 years old when she started getting eczema. By the time she was 2, she was covered in eczema, on her hands, face, all over her body. She was still about 90% bf at this point, she did not eat much food. I tried an elim diet, I couldn't figure out any allergies so we went to an allergist. DD1 was tested for 7 foods that day, she didn't break out in the alloted 15-20 minutes, I left the appointment drove 1/2 mile down the road when she started screaming. She was covered from head to toe in hives. The allergist said that was not related to the testing, um yeah right. : : She had hives for over a week.

At this point I definately knew she has allergies butl had no idea what they were. I started looking into other forms of allergy testing and came across kinesiology, and then found a NAET http://www.naet.com/ practitioner near me, so we went in there. DD1 was allergic so many things that I could not begin to list them, she had numerous food, enviromental, and chemical allergies. We started treating her, with NAET you can resolve the allergy, her eczema started to disappear, the red ring, her black eyes, dd1 actually started sleeping more,she started eating food, and her behavior changed, I literally have a different child now. During the treatment I could tell when she came into contact with a new allergen, her behavior would change back, she would stop sleeping again, and if we were in contact with the allergen long enough, she start getting eczema again. DD1 is almost 4 now and has no allergies at all.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

#4 of 4 Old 11-12-2006, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Elaina has allergies but I have no idea to what and am not sure how to pinpoint it. She would get these random hives for about a week. One would appear on her leg, then that would go away and another would appear on her foot, thenon her other leg but always on her lower body. It lasted about a week and hasn't returned. I am suspecting it was an environmental allergy but I am really not sure.

The NAET info is fantastic! Thanks! I will be checking that out. I have suffered form allergies my entire life and am petrified of passing that on to Elaina. It's nice to know there is an alternative to a lifetime of allergy shots and meds.

Thanks again!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page