Does active baby become active toddler?active pre-schooler... - Mothering Forums

#1 of 9 Old 11-16-2006, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is about to be 1 year now, he is running already. He did most of the things ahead in general. like crawling at 41/2 months, walking with support at 7 months....He has been very very active since his birth, I thank god he is growing well. But sometimes i find really hard to keep up with him. Very tiring. He always wants to pull things, push something. I wonder (worry??) how he will be when he is big, both myself and my husband are very quite or couch potatoes by nature. He seems to be too curious about everything. Is it just part of his growing or early signs of hyperactive child. I am getting scared......anybody can share experience
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 11-16-2006, 07:12 AM

It's part of growing. I really cringe when I hear active babies prematurely pathologized with words like "hyperactive." He may stay this active or he may slow down. It's impossible to know right now. I wish you all well!
#3 of 9 Old 11-16-2006, 12:26 PM

Most of the kids I've ever known are very active. I hate the terms overactive and hyperactive. They know how much activity their bodies need and are very good at getting it in. If we listened to our bodies as well as our littlest ones we would probably be in better shape.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010

#4 of 9 Old 11-16-2006, 02:26 PM

From my experience, an active infant leads to an active toddler, etc. Boys by nature are more active (trust me...I have 3). But that isn't a bad thing. Hyperactive has such a negative connotation and is almost always linked to boys. I watched a wonderful documentary about boys (Raising Cain) and it really opened my eyes as to how boys are wired differently than girls. I love my boys and their high levels of energy can exhaust me, but I get to experience a whole new side to me that I didn't even know was there. I am a very involved mama and don't shy away from boy stuff. If my sons want me to play football with them, then I play football with them. Right now, your son is just learning to experience the world in a whole new way, so enjoy his excitement at life and things we take for granted. Take this as an opportunity for you and your husband to lead a more active lifestyle.

Tanya, wife to my best friend momma to Blake 2/02, Jacob 5/04, Parker 12/05 and MaKenna : 6/09
#5 of 9 Old 11-16-2006, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My 15mo has been "active" since I felt his first kick. He came out face-up, screaming, announcing to the world that Paddy had arrived. He runs around from morning until night, he is a pretty exhausting child sometimes He is a very spirited little boy, and we use that word a lot around here. We do not believe in hyperactivity or things like that. Some people are just more energetic than others and they are fine when they are given the proper venues to express that energy. I have one relative who was given meds for ADD as a kid but as a teenager he realized that there was nothing wrong with him, he just needed to find something to do that didn't bore him to death. So he stopped the meds and he is a thriving, hard working, responsible adult. People in the family still make comments, and it drives me nuts. My mom even said something about Paddy being "hyper" and I told her to get lost because she doesn't know anything about toddler boys and that its normal for them to be on the move all the time. I'll be damned if someone is gonna dope up my kid. :
#6 of 9 Old 11-17-2006, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter

thank you MAMA POOT,

I too feel angry when people lable him "Hyper", hey how are you going to manage, you gonna have tough time, these are expressions. It so happened that my cousin's sons and daughters or even most of my friends babies of his age are laid back type or less energetic to be appropriate, so when they see my son, they start commenting, and talk of ADD, ADHD and what not. which started making me feel worried. My heart tells me he is just a curious baby who wants to touch and feel things, the moment he sees something new and always wants something to keep him busy. that makes me : of course sometimes.

I want to give a sweet kissi to him right away.
#7 of 9 Old 11-17-2006, 07:10 AM

So far it's true in my case.

My dd was ahead on all the milestones too (walking by 8 months). She's 32 months now and does not stop...EVER! My dh took her running last night, she can run 3 times around the track now without stopping...with energy to spare. I can't keep up with her.

I have never thought of her as hyperactive or abnormal though. She's just got turbo-boosted kid energy. Must be solar powered.

My ds is 2 1/2 months old and is much more laid back. We'll see how he is in a year.
#8 of 9 Old 11-17-2006, 05:27 PM

I love these threads, because I find I need to know in advance about the stupid things people are going to say or else I'm like a deer in the headlights of their stupidity, and then I kick myself later for not having a good comeback. My 2.5 mo ds is a bundle of energy and is quick to express his annoyance at sitting around and doing nothing. He's been like this, as someone else said, since I felt the first kick. I think it's great, since my dh and I tend to be couch potatoes. I'm excited for all the activity to come. I've made a commitment to myself to honor this kid's energy and help him focus it in positive directions.
#9 of 9 Old 11-17-2006, 06:26 PM

Sounds like mixed blessings to me. It's great that you have a healthy curious active little boy. Yes, it's tough to keep up with any little kid because they are so curious about the world around them, which of course is a perfectly healthy desirable trait to have. I have a very active little guy but I'm pretty active myself and now that he's a little older (about to turn 3) he is quite capable of playing by himself for a while which gives me alittle break to do things on my own (like right now )

Good luck to you and enjoy these wonder years!

Mom of (11/27/03) and (9/29/06).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page