Hi! My name is Chopped Liver :) - Mothering Forums

#1 of 10 Old 05-28-2007, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS just turned 12 months old. He is sweet, smart, the best baby in the world (right after yours of course)
My DH has always been a great dad but sometimes he has to go on week-long business trips. He just came back from a trip and I am feeling a little neglected by my sweet baby boy.
From the time DS was born I have NEVER left his side for more than a couple of hours. Thinking about it I only left him once for about 2 1/2 hours (with DH). Other than that we are always together.
He sleeps with us and I nurse him back to sleep when he wakes up. He eats some solids now so his poops are stinkier and I am the one that changes his diaper. (DH used to change them too when they were still mild smelling BF poop diapers ). I put so much effort into being the best mommy I can be!
Anyway. DH is back and we missed him lots. Well I missed him lots. I don't know about DS as he is only 1 year old and can't really verbalize things like that...
DS is madly in love with DH now. He can't leave the room without DS getting upset. I can't console him either. I however can leave without problems. (Not that I am going anywhere... )
Just a few weeks/months ago he was so super clingy, I had to carry him all day. But even then I bet DH could have substituted for me without problems.
I'd like to think that DS simply did miss his Dad and realizes that Dad could walk out and be gone for a very long time so we better keep an eye on him. Mom on the other hand is always there so he doesn't have to worry.
Can a 1-year old think complex thoughts like these? Or am I kidding myself and DH is really just the fun-ner parent?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 05-29-2007, 12:33 AM

Mama of three.

#3 of 10 Old 05-29-2007, 01:53 AM

Hey, I'm chopped liver too! I think it's actually just a natural stage the kids are going through. There was a time when DD didn't want anything to do with DH because he wasn't me, but now she's also going through a real DH-is-my-favorite-parent stage, and I think it's because she's just getting older. She doesn't need constant nursing anymore, so she can separate from me long enough to do fun things with daddy, and his appearance at home every evening is a big cause for celebration. I don't think it's because she loves me any less...she is just so securely attached to me that she can safely ingore me for a while and fawn all over dad.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.

#4 of 10 Old 05-29-2007, 01:57 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
It's just a normal phase they're going through. They go back and forth several times between "It's gotta be mommy!!" and "It's gotta be daddy!!!". Unless, of course, this isn't your first child, in which case you'll probably go through a "it's gotta be big sis!!" and/or "it's gotta be big brother!!!" phase as well.

Ruth, single mommy to 3 quasi-adults
#5 of 10 Old 05-29-2007, 04:52 AM

But.. I think liver is good! B-vitamins and iron.. I have some in my fridge now!

DD is doing the same thing actually. "Hey I gave birth to you!" has come out of my mouth this weekend. She just hugged DH tighter.
#6 of 10 Old 05-29-2007, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietserena View Post
DD is doing the same thing actually. "Hey I gave birth to you!" has come out of my mouth this weekend. She just hugged DH tighter.
LOL. Thanks!
#7 of 10 Old 05-29-2007, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My son also just turned one and is the same exact way. My BF takes trips usually three or four days at a time.
When ever my Bf is around mommy doesnt exist. If dad walk out of the room, baby cries non-stop till he comes back. Of course he does it with me too, when I leave for work sometimes, but nothing like he does with daddy.
He is super clingy with him, and my Grandma, but I am always just there.

Brandy; Mother to Aspen (7/1996) and Ky (5/2006) and partner to Ryan

#8 of 10 Old 05-29-2007, 09:58 AM

The mom - dad love is a peek and valley kind of relationship. It happens. As much as you have honest feelings of hurt...I say, live it up!!!! Let him hang on daddy! Give yourself a break!!! Go to the bathroom for more than 2 minutes, do your nails, take a walk...live it up...because it will all change again, back to you. Us mamas need some time for us....KWIM????
#9 of 10 Old 05-30-2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBinSATX View Post
I'd like to think that DS simply did miss his Dad and realizes that Dad could walk out and be gone for a very long time so we better keep an eye on him. Mom on the other hand is always there so he doesn't have to worry.
Can a 1-year old think complex thoughts like these?
I think they can have thoughts like this. Maybe not so "organized", but I definitely believe a 1-year-old can realize that last time daddy left he was gone for a really long time. I certainly don't think it has anything to do with him being a "funner" parent. Baby loves you, and just knows you are always there when he needs you. Just my 2-cents
#10 of 10 Old 05-30-2007, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It's probably just a phase. When DD was just turning a year old, she had to have her Papa (my DH, her stepdad) all the time. I didn't get any cuddle time when he was around! Now, at 19 months, she's done a complete 180 and is a total mama's girl. Definitely not something you're doing wrong!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page