7 month old refusing solids! - FTM - Mothering Forums

#1 of 31 Old 08-09-2007, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey! I'm a FTM and I have tried EVERYTHING to get my girl to eat. She lets everything roll out of her mouth! Will not swallow! Is this okay? normal?
We started about two weeks ago (when she turned 7 months). I've tried avocado, prune, sweet potato, oatmeal cereal, banana. So far she'll only swallow sweet potato and banana and even then she hardly eats any and will refuse to open her mouth. I go, "AHHH" to try to get her to mimic me, but to no avail.

PLEASE HELP!!!! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 31 Old 08-09-2007, 10:00 AM

It sounds like she is not ready for solids yet. Why are you pushing it on her? DS is 9 mo and is still EBF.

knit.gifMama to reading.gif  and  babygirl.gif
#3 of 31 Old 08-09-2007, 10:01 AM

Does she seem to need more to eat other than breastmilk/formula? If not then I wouldn't worry about it. Some babes don't need to start solids until later and I have heard of a few moms not feeding their babes solids until a year. When she is ready she will let you know. I don't think that it is anything to worry about but then again I am not right there.

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#4 of 31 Old 08-09-2007, 10:02 AM

BTW, what does FTM mean?

#5 of 31 Old 08-09-2007, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I can see you are very new at MDC, so I will try to be really gentle here.

Maybe she doesn't like the other items? My 8m DD will eat pieces of plums, peaches... to no end, but if she picks up a banana piece and puts it in her mouth, she sticks her tongue back out and shakes it off.

Almost all of her nutritional intake should be coming from milk (hopefully bm, but if not, then formula.) So whether she eats absolutely nothing, one little piece of food, or 20, it does not matter. Food at this stage is for play, learning and experimenting - what is that slippery thing, dry thing, soft, hard, wet, colorful, gushy, strong, sweet..... It is for your DC to try to learn to pick things up, put in mouth (and also in hair, in ear, under neck....).

Most important, if she closes her mouth, then she is very clearly telling you "no thank you." Please respect her and let her be. You can try the same, or a different item, on a different day. You may want to try only giving her pices of things for her to pick up, play with, and occassionally get into her mouth. If you feel pressured to get her to eat solids, then I would avoid the spoon at all costs - because you can just force feed her when she doesn't want it. It isn't healthy. Her nutrition should come from milk, not fruit, cheerios or walpaper paste (aka rice cereal).
#6 of 31 Old 08-09-2007, 10:03 AM

My dd is the same age and doing the same thing. I am not pushing her though. She isn't ready so I will wait until she is. I just keep offering once or twice a week. She will eat when she is ready.

Carrie, mom to Johnathan (7-02), Brodie (2-04), Kate (12-06), Jordan (9-08), (4-09) & Maggie (3-10)
#7 of 31 Old 08-09-2007, 10:11 AM

It's fine and normal.

Try again in a while and put some soft chunks in front of her and let her feed herself if she wants.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#8 of 31 Old 08-09-2007, 10:11 AM

Another thought is that babies who are prone to allergies will sometimes refuse food until their systems are ready to handle it. So it makes sense to wait until your little one is accepting so as not to have any trouble with allergies. I have friends who have had little ones refuse food until 14-18 months of age (so their children had only breastmilk until that age) and their children are just fine older kids today.

So as the other posters said, respect what your little one is trying to tell you and wait a little longer for the solids. She'll let you know when she is ready too by grabbing it off your plate and tasting it herself! Good luck and welcome to MDC!
#9 of 31 Old 08-09-2007, 10:19 AM

It's really, really common for babies not to be ready for solids yet at that age, and like others have said this age is for experimenting, NOT for getting significant nourishment from solids. Some cues to watch for to know she is ready: sitting up on her own, no more tongue thrust, her eyes follow your food as it goes from your plate to your mouth, her mouth opening/lips smacking when she watches you eat, grabbing for food off your plate. The thing is, she can do all of these things and that really could mean she is ready to start playing with it/experimenting/tasting it but not be nearly ready to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner from table food. Give her time. I haven't noticed any college students still living on breastmilk/bottle!

"I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult." â E.B. White
#10 of 31 Old 08-09-2007, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

FTM = First time mom....Naomi is EBF. She only nurses, does not even take a bottle of expressed milk. She still nurses about every 2-3 hours. She's a boobie girl!!! :

Sorry if this sounds ignorant, but...
At her 6 month appointment the doctor told me she would have wanted me to start solids at 4 months (which I DEFINITELY knew to wait until at least 6 months). She told me "my breastmilk is no longer enough" and I HAD to start solids. I didn't feel she was ready then so I waited until 7...I thought even then I was waiting too long. I thought I had heard somewhere that if you wait too long they'll refuse different kinds of foods???
She seems like she wants it but doesn't seem to understand to SWALLOW it.
I take her out of her highchair when she's "done."
She is on the small side (14 pounds) and she was born at 6lbs 13oz. Still in 3-6 month clothes.
#11 of 31 Old 08-09-2007, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Also she is following all of the "signs" - sitting up very well...etc....

"sitting up on her own, no more tongue thrust, her eyes follow your food as it goes from your plate to your mouth, her mouth opening/lips smacking when she watches you eat, grabbing for food off your plate."
#12 of 31 Old 08-09-2007, 10:27 AM

First of all WELCOME! This is a great place to get great advise. It is a bit scary in the beginning but you catch on quickly.

I would lay off the solids for awhile. At 7 months, solids is so totally new for them. Take it slow, relax and enjoy this age.

Jenn
#13 of 31 Old 08-09-2007, 10:30 AM
Banned

Your ped is misinformed, as many peds are. BM is all that's needed til 1 yr or more. sorry, nursing but others will post more info...

ewlcome!
#14 of 31 Old 08-09-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi'sMommy View Post
Hey! I'm a FTM and I have tried EVERYTHING to get my girl to eat. She lets everything roll out of her mouth! Will not swallow! Is this okay? normal?
We started about two weeks ago (when she turned 7 months). I've tried avocado, prune, sweet potato, oatmeal cereal, banana. So far she'll only swallow sweet potato and banana and even then she hardly eats any and will refuse to open her mouth. I go, "AHHH" to try to get her to mimic me, but to no avail.

PLEASE HELP!!!! :
Yeah, she's just not ready. Think of the money you'll save waiting a couple months to feed solids! My DD is 4 months and starting to show signs (sitting up on her own, looking at my fork when I eat, reaching for my drink and licking her chops, etc.) and I keep hoping I can hold her off a little longer!!
It is hard because most parents (mainstream at least) start with the solids SO EARLY and feed WAY too many solids. But trust me, there's no race to get your babe on solids.
#15 of 31 Old 08-09-2007, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Margaret View Post
Your ped is misinformed, as many peds are. BM is all that's needed til 1 yr or more.
:

That is so inappropriate for your ped to tell you when she "wants you" to start solids. : I'm glad you came and asked here.

#16 of 31 Old 08-09-2007, 11:03 AM

My almost 9 month old babe just started eating more than a bite or 2 on a regular basis. Don't worry about it. Babies know when they're ready for solids. Don't force the issue, but keep making solids available to her, and follow her cues about when she's ready. Someday soon she'll be grabbing bites off of your plate and it will be a struggle to keep her away from your food.

ETA I agree with the ped. being misinformed. It's not a unanimous view either - my ped was thrilled that we delayed solids. I think the problem is that for formula fed babies, starting solids (relatively) early can be beneficial. For breastfed babes there really is no nutritional need for solids until around 1 year.
#17 of 31 Old 08-09-2007, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notneb View Post
ETA I agree with the ped. being misinformed. It's not a unanimous view either - my ped was thrilled that we delayed solids. I think the problem is that for formula fed babies, starting solids (relatively) early can be beneficial. For breastfed babes there really is no nutritional need for solids until around 1 year.
Same here - my ped was thrilled that we WAITED until after 9 months to start solids. He said he had done the same with his kids.
FWIW I wouldn't take NUTRITIONAL or BREASTFEEDING related advice from peds. If I have a medical question I ask him. But he is also my ped b/c he doesn't offer that kind of advice, he only answers what questions I have. He respects that I am the mama

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#18 of 31 Old 08-09-2007, 01:00 PM

Dump the dr.

She doesn't need solids, stop forcing them.

Offer her chunks she can feed herself, she'll eat when she's ready.

-Angela
#19 of 31 Old 08-09-2007, 01:21 PM

You can still give her food to play with if she seems to be enjoying it. Just don't worry about her swallowing, she will when she's ready.

Also, she may have decided that she gets a great reaction out of you if she spits out the food, since from your post it sounds like it's been driving you crazy. And babies like to experiment to see what happens!

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#20 of 31 Old 08-09-2007, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

I'm sorry I asked anything. I just didn't know and was trying to get advice and...I'm sorry people feel that I'm "forcing" my baby to eat.

I really thought this community would be good for me as I BF, NIP, agree with child-led weaning, am anti-circ (but don't have a boy), babywearer, etc....but I guess if I feed my baby solids before she's a year I must be the devil.

Anywho...back to BBC for me....Sorry if I'm being too sensitive....I'm not trying to start a debate, just stating how I feel.

PS. I cannot switch peds as I go to the naval hospital for care (military). There are only 2 there.
#21 of 31 Old 08-09-2007, 02:23 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry I asked anything. I just didn't know and was trying to get advice and...I'm sorry people feel that I'm "forcing" my baby to eat.

I really thought this community would be good for me as I BF, NIP, agree with child-led weaning, am anti-circ (but don't have a boy), babywearer, etc....but I guess if I feed my baby solids before she's a year I must be the devil.

Anywho...back to BBC for me....Sorry if I'm being too sensitive....I'm not trying to start a debate, just stating how I feel.

PS. I cannot switch peds as I go to the naval hospital for care (military). There are only 2 there.

Mama, no one is trying to imply that you are the devil for trying to feed your child solids. I personally didn't use the word force by the way, I said "pushing it on her", and if your feelings were hurt by that, I'm sorry. Stick around, there's a ton of great info on MDC and the majority of the time it's a great community.

#22 of 31 Old 08-09-2007, 02:31 PM

I thought everyone gave you great advice! I don't understand why you feel unwelcome.
#23 of 31 Old 08-09-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:

I'm sorry you feel attacked....I totally understand how you feel. You do what works for you, use the advice you want and leave the rest. That's what I've learned to do since being here.
#24 of 31 Old 08-09-2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:

Aw, I'm sorry... I hate this about MDC. I looked at my post and I'm sorry if I seemed snarky... I really wasn't trying to be.
#25 of 31 Old 08-09-2007, 02:51 PM

I hope you stick around...I don't think the posters were trying to be mean! Your original post only asks how to get your baby to eat...I think most here were trying to advise that maybe she doesn't need to eat solids just yet. It sounds as if you are gently trying to offer new things but she just isn't ready for them yet.

Some folks here have very strong opinions and love to share them! It takes a thick hide to interact here sometimes.

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#26 of 31 Old 08-09-2007, 02:56 PM

I dont think it is an attack on you personally, I just think most mama's here get frustrated when they hear a pediatrician give a mother such bad advice, especially a new mother. Most doctors are so caught up in having babies reach milestones on a given timetable, that they may pressure parents and make them worry for nothing. Trust your gut and if you daughter is healthy dont worry if she is on the small side, most babies catch up later on.

Like you, my DD is 6 months and around 14 pounds and I am ok with that because she has met all her milestones. No she is not eating yet and shows no real interest in food and does not really swallow either. But I will just go with the flow and I am sure when she is ready she will start eating like a monster! (judging by how she eats at the breast) And no it is not true that if you wait longer they will not like different foods. If that were true, humans as a race would have been extinct a long time ago...

Dont leave MDC just yet, I know at times it can be preachy but their really is loads of good information on here!
#27 of 31 Old 08-09-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:

I'm sorry you felt attacked. I think everyone is just trying to help.

We all know you're clearly trying to do what's best for your babe You just got crappy advice from your dr.

-Angela
#28 of 31 Old 08-09-2007, 03:19 PM

I hope you are sticking around. Sometimes people write short to the point messages which can seem judgmental, but it's just easy to take it that way when it's email. Please don't take it personally. These mamas have a lot of good advice to share, just take what works for you.

My DD is 10 mos and we just started solids last week. She is healthy and thriving and chubby as can be, so clearly breastmilk is plenty for her! So far she gets little pieces of avocado and green beans and we're trying squash today. She is getting absolutely NO nutrition from it based on what she consumes, but she is into trying to eat herself as she has been chewing along with DH and I for a while now. I did have a few moments of "what if I wait too long to introduce solids" but then I figured that really didn't make any sense to me. There doesn't seem to be any correlation among people I know with pickiness and infant feeding as kids or adults from the same families can have completely different tastes, regardless.

Your pedi is misinformed. Docs generally know nothing about nutrition. Our doc is fine, didn't push us food-wise, but did suggest cereal, which I wasn't interested in using. I just use the smile and nod method when it comes to non-medical advice from docs. I look interested and say, "oh, ok" but I do my own research and that is the end of it. Since you are stuck with your doc, keep doing what you are doing and research on your own.

Breastmilk is awesome nutrition for your babe! Just keep offering some food when you are eating and she'll jump in when she's ready.
#29 of 31 Old 08-09-2007, 03:21 PM

People gave you advice. I don't see the problem.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#30 of 31 Old 08-09-2007, 03:39 PM

One thing I've learned as a parent is that kids are different!

My daughter was interested in solids at six months, and was willing to eat a few spoonfuls at a time, but didn't get really into food until she was about 8 1/2 months old and she could eat regular food from our meals. We used jarred baby food, and I think she only ever had about 10 jars because she just didn't eat very much of it at a time. I never understood why people bothered to make their own babyfood, since it seemed like such a miniscule quantity was needed!

My son, on the other hand, started solids a week before he turned six months old (I'd intended to wait until he was six months old, but it just didn't feel right for him), and took to them with gusto! He's not yet seven months old, and is scarfing down a third to half a cup of baby food plus a bunch of cheerios at every meal. I have to carry something for him to eat whenever I'm going to be out of the house at mealtimes, because he screams and cries if other people are eating and he's not getting any. My biggest worry with him is that he'll wean before he's a year old because he's so interested in solids (which I won't allow to happen)!

As others have said, it's totally fine to follow your baby's lead about solids. If I were in your shoes, I would probably just keep offering them once a day or so, when it's convenient, but not stressing about whether she eats it and how much. She'll get the hang of it eventually, and in the mean time, your breast milk is more nutritionally complete than any solid food you could offer her.

Sonja , 40, married to DH (42) since 5-29-93, DD born 11-3-2004, DS born 1-18-2007.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page