X-Posted: Top 20 things that are more dangerous to children than lead paint in Mattel - Mothering Forums

#1 of 41 Old 09-09-2007, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.newstarget.com/022014.html

I loved this! I posted it in the vaccination forum becuase he lists vaccines at #2, but overall, I am so on the same wavelength!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 41 Old 09-09-2007, 01:01 PM
Banned

Sorry, but my kidlet is definitely wearing sunscreen. She's as fair as her mama, and I've had several horrible sunburns as a kid. staying out of the sun is not an option; I'll choose the protection every time.
#3 of 41 Old 09-09-2007, 01:09 PM

i'm not surprised that these are dangers, but am pleasantly surprised that someone pointed them out.

#4 of 41 Old 09-09-2007, 01:23 PM

Great article! I emailed it to friends and family. The good news is that we (me, my hubby & 8 month old son) avoid most of the things on that list - vaxs, shampoo & flouride toothpaste, drinking tap water & as many non-organic & non-natural foods as possible!

Amanda: Christian, wife to musician DH since 2002, mom to intact & vax free "monkey" DS1 since 12/21/06, and "lovey" DS2 5/17/10! WINNER OF THE GOLDEN BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC!
#5 of 41 Old 09-09-2007, 01:29 PM

Sorry, but putting Gatorade in the same category as lead paint seems over-the-top, to say the least. I am concerned about many of the things listed in the article, certainly, but at least half of those items are not more dangerous than lead, in my humble opinion, if not more.

Hyperbole and condescension/superiority ["Most parents have no concern whatsoever for any of these 20 things, ... It all just goes to show you that the sheeple will think anything ..."] are not effective educational devices to me.
#6 of 41 Old 09-09-2007, 01:34 PM

I like that article! But the way it was written, it would probably offend people if I sent it to them. We already avoid almost everything on that list. (But DD does wear sunscreen if she's going to be at the splash park in the middle of the day here in the desert.)
#7 of 41 Old 09-09-2007, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Oh we use sunscreen too...just all natural.

http://www.ewg.org/
http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/index.php?nothanks=1

Baby Sunscreen - best & worst in terms of toxcicity:
http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/bro...by%20sunscreen

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/bro...low%20spf%2015
http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/bro...%20and%20above

Baby Skin Products in General:
http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/bro...incat=babycare

and ya, some of the way it's written is annoying, but overall I thought he made great points.
#8 of 41 Old 09-09-2007, 02:34 PM

Very interesting reading material. We do avoid a lot of the things listed but some of them I had never really thought about. I do wonder if the tone of the article is maybe a little alarmist, but in any event it gives me something to think about.

My dentist recently replaced all the mercury fillings that DH had (and there were a LOT of them...) in part due to the reasons listed in the article. DH didn't even believe the dentist at first when he said that the mercury was dangerous and that having bits of metal holding his teeth together could be bad for his teeth too - he thought the new dentist was just after his money! The old-school dentist he used to go to STILL uses mercury fillings, even in his pediatric patients. Needless to say DS will NOT be going to that old dentist.
#9 of 41 Old 09-09-2007, 03:17 PM

I liked it, and even reposted it in a myspace bulletin

I think it was writtten just fine. He write comics, I would expect it to be written the way it was.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#10 of 41 Old 09-09-2007, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What a great article! And the fact that most people just believe what the media says is safe and isnt safe is so true!
#11 of 41 Old 09-09-2007, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I enjoyed the article.
What about MODERATION? We had hot dogs tonight, but that is the first time in months. Very little on that list I use, except laundry detergent. As another PP mentioned, sunscreen is still better than severe sunburn or skin cancer. I don't use it here, because there is no need, but when we took a vacation in Florida in June, you bet I used it on DS.
The world is not black and white. It is also grey (and brown, yellow, red, green....)
#12 of 41 Old 09-10-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonR View Post
I enjoyed the article.
What about MODERATION? We had hot dogs tonight, but that is the first time in months. Very little on that list I use, except laundry detergent. As another PP mentioned, sunscreen is still better than severe sunburn or skin cancer. I don't use it here, because there is no need, but when we took a vacation in Florida in June, you bet I used it on DS.
The world is not black and white. It is also grey (and brown, yellow, red, green....)
yes, but as a pp mentioned, there are natural sun screens that don't contain dangerous chemicals.

I liked the article. Of course some of those aren't as bad as lead paint in toys, but when you consider that many children (and adults) are exposed to them every single day then you can see how they are harmful over time. For everything on that list there is a natural, healthy alternative. You just have to do your research!
#13 of 41 Old 09-10-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonya77 View Post
Sorry, but my kidlet is definitely wearing sunscreen. She's as fair as her mama, and I've had several horrible sunburns as a kid. staying out of the sun is not an option; I'll choose the protection every time.
there are natural/organic sunscreens without all of the dangerous chemicals you know.

DS 5-11-06
#14 of 41 Old 09-10-2007, 02:11 PM

Hi-larious! Loved it, and it's true, most sheeple don't think about it. In fact, they think we're the crazy ones for thinking about those things! And you can get the natural varieties of sunscreen & hotdogs, but I think the point he was making was there is a danger in not getting enough un-sunscreened time to produce your vitamin d.
#15 of 41 Old 09-10-2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
The answer would be mineral sunscreen, much more common in Europe and healthier as it uses a mineral barrier against UV rays vs the chemical crap.
#16 of 41 Old 09-10-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromom View Post
I like that article! But the way it was written, it would probably offend people if I sent it to them. We already avoid almost everything on that list. (But DD does wear sunscreen if she's going to be at the splash park in the middle of the day here in the desert.)
OOOPS, I might have just offended all my vaxx friendly friends... Aaaah, so what! They should be used to it by now...
#17 of 41 Old 09-10-2007, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy_goer View Post
Hyperbole and condescension/superiority ["Most parents have no concern whatsoever for any of these 20 things, ... It all just goes to show you that the sheeple will think anything ..."] are not effective educational devices to me.
Yeah....pretty hard to take that guy seriously, even if he does have good content. His tone is horrible.
#18 of 41 Old 09-10-2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynthfair View Post
Yeah....pretty hard to take that guy seriously, even if he does have good content. His tone is horrible.
Hard to take this guy seriously because there are so many inaccuracies in this piece that I have no choice but to discredit the whole of it.

His position on ADHD and antidepressant drugs is completely unscientific and irrational. There are all kinds of logical concerns to avoid their use, but his particular arguments are so silly a child could punch holes in them.

Quote:
Every single school shooting involving a child in the United States in the last 15 years has been linked to antidepressant drug use. Need I say more?
Was it the antidepressant drugs, or possibly, hello? the DEPRESSION.

Please don't send this article to mainstream friends and family, it makes us look bad!!
#19 of 41 Old 09-10-2007, 06:24 PM

Yes, his article reads like a scare story of its own--and his ADHD meds screed is almost completely wrong.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#20 of 41 Old 09-10-2007, 06:29 PM

Great artcle!

Mama to 10 so far:Mother of Joey (23), Dominick (15), Abigail (13), Angelo (10), Mylee (8), Delainey (6), Colton (4), ID girls Dahniella and Nicolette (2 in July), and Baby 10 coming sometime in July 2015.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!
#21 of 41 Old 09-10-2007, 09:06 PM

There are so many ridiculous claims in that article that I don't know where to start. Vaccines cause autism? NO evidence. Homogenized milk causes heart disease? Again, NO scientific evidence at all. (Probably why he doesn't bother attempting to give any citations.) See http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/38/2/327 for what is actually known about homogenized milk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
Hard to take this guy seriously because there are so many inaccuracies in this piece that I have no choice but to discredit the whole of it.

His position on ADHD and antidepressant drugs is completely unscientific and irrational. There are all kinds of logical concerns to avoid their use, but his particular arguments are so silly a child could punch holes in them.

Was it the antidepressant drugs, or possibly, hello? the DEPRESSION.
:
#22 of 41 Old 09-10-2007, 09:58 PM

I agreed with some of the things he said but thought he was slinging around a lot of unfounded theories. So, I was wondering...

I try to give ds just enough sun to do him good without letting him burn etc. then put on some sunscreen if we're going to be in the direct sun after he's had about 15 minutesish but use the mainstream sunscreen on myself : (can't afford the organic stuff for both of us )

If suncreen really is mutating DNA causing cancer, wouldn't it be getting taken off the shelves in a big hurry too? Because even tho this guy says american products get a "free pass", most sunscreens are not made solely in the USA. And no matter where the product is made, if it's a big carcinogen it gets removed from public consumption. (I thought, maybe I'm just niave?)

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#23 of 41 Old 09-10-2007, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
Vaccines cause autism? NO evidence.
No evidence that it doesn't either. But don't get me started.

I didn't post it to start a debate...I posted it for fun...a lot of the article will ring true for those who have similar beliefs, and it will piss off those who don't...like anything else in life.
#24 of 41 Old 09-10-2007, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popbaby View Post
a lot of the article will ring true for those who have similar beliefs
In other words, people like to hear what they already believe, regardless of the facts? True enough... However I find it depressing to think that some people might actually be swayed in their beliefs by a fearmongering article like this which is backed up by nothing more than one person's misapprehensions and misrepresentations.
#25 of 41 Old 09-10-2007, 11:06 PM

Is this just toxic to children, or 'humans'?

I won't give the kidlet bacon, but no way am I cutting it out of my diet... Although the rest of the stuff we pretty much stay away from.
#26 of 41 Old 09-10-2007, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaketty View Post
Is this just toxic to children, or 'humans'?

I won't give the kidlet bacon, but no way am I cutting it out of my diet... Although the rest of the stuff we pretty much stay away from.
I totally hear ya! Life is too short to go without bacon, but I don't think anyone can justify that bacon is healthy... (if they can I'm going on a bacon diet )

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#27 of 41 Old 09-10-2007, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
In other words, people like to hear what they already believe, regardless of the facts? True enough... However I find it depressing to think that some people might actually be swayed in their beliefs by a fearmongering article like this which is backed up by nothing more than one person's misapprehensions and misrepresentations.
actually from what I have read, and all of the research I've done over the last 2 years, there is quite a lot that backs up what he says...the general gist of what he is saying is right on IMO. I hope people are swayed to do further research on some of these topics.
#28 of 41 Old 09-11-2007, 01:14 AM

Quote:

Leah - Wife to Joshua (April 22nd, 2006) , Mama to Scarlett (April 17th, 2007) and Vera (October 23rd, 2010)
#29 of 41 Old 09-11-2007, 01:57 AM

I think it was a good article, but I deffinately agree that he needed to include more citations and proof of his claims. I too have done a lot of research on the subjects he talked about and have to agree with a lot of it, but not all of it. I think without citing he can be viewed as a wacked out crazy person who himself puts his kids in danger by not applying sunscreen etc... any mainstream person reading that article is going to think he is a nut job, maybe he was just preaching to the choir, I don't know, but if you write an article such as that you really have to be able to back it up! It almost read like a blog rant KWIM.

Molly, Mama, living in the burbs with a beehive and chicken coop,  herb student, gardener, crunchy and preggers with #3, due Nov 4th.flower.gif
The fruit of the spirit is: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,goodness, gentleness and self control.:
#30 of 41 Old 09-11-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
If suncreen really is mutating DNA causing cancer, wouldn't it be getting taken off the shelves in a big hurry too? Because even tho this guy says american products get a "free pass", most sunscreens are not made solely in the USA. And no matter where the product is made, if it's a big carcinogen it gets removed from public consumption. (I thought, maybe I'm just niave?)
Almost all "mainstream" skin/hair/nail products in the US have known carinogens (sp?) in them. That doesn't stop them from making/selling them, and for some reason it doesn't stop ppl from buying them.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page