Favourite books, cds, and toys? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 18 Old 10-19-2007, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd like to start building DS's book collection, and was hoping moms can share their child's favourite stories with me. I would love any suggestions, but especially ones for children under 1.

Also, if you have any cd's of childrens music you'd recommend, or any specific toys that your child just loves, I would appreciate those too!

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 10-19-2007, 03:38 PM

Books: Oldies but goodies - Goodnight Moon, Guess How Much I love You, Pat the Bunny

Music: Wee Sing -- there all fun

Toys: Wooden blocks, finger puppets, shape sorters, bags and boxes you can put things in and take out, good old pots and pans
#3 of 18 Old 10-19-2007, 03:39 PM

I love the board books by Eric Carle-- there are quite a few of them out there. She likes them too.

As far as music goes, she likes everything right now. But for "kids" music, I like They Might be Giants. All of their stuff is pretty kid friendly, but they have a couple actual kids albums too. I love them.

#4 of 18 Old 10-19-2007, 03:50 PM

Books by Sandra Boyton are cute and rhythmic and funny from an adults point of view. I especially like "Moo Baa Lalala!" And "But not the Hippopotamus"

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#5 of 18 Old 10-19-2007, 04:12 PM

I was going to recommend all of those! Sandra Boynton's Snuggle Puppy was one of the first books we bought ds, and I still sing it to him every day.

Also, an amazing book that makes me cry every time I read it to ds, On The Day You Were Born by Debra Frasier. I think it's about a home birth, and it's lovely. http://www.amazon.com/Day-You-Were-B...2817481&sr=8-2

Guess how much I love you I like cause it has a daddy bunny in it. Also, it comes in a CD version. DS loves listening to it, and one of the cd's has nice classical music.
#6 of 18 Old 10-19-2007, 08:38 PM
acp

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
All the books people have mentioned are great. I'd add "goodnight Gorilla" and "Peekaboo Kisses" (especially once they're slightly older and can get into the peekaboo/touch-and-feel aspects). For the Eric Carle books, I particularly like the "Brown Bear, Brown Bear" series (there are several in it), the classic "Hungry Hungry Caterpillar" of course, and "From Head to Toe." "Runaway Bunny" is a classic too. And "Counting Kisses." There are so many great board books out there...
For CDs, my mom gave me several lullaby collections that she got from Music for Little People that I really like. I think I have an African Lullaby collection, a Latin American one, and several English ones that have really good songs on them. Our baby is too young to care about words yet, but my friend who has a 2 1/2 year old, says her daughter adores Laurie Berkner.

Toys: DD is only 4 1/2 months, so anything seems like a toy to her - we've mostly just been going with whatever people gave us and she seems to like them. Sophie the Giraffe (which I like since it's rubber and has food quality paint) is a particular favorite. And she loves a lamaze cloth cube with lots of fun handles and a couple teething rings. And some Whoozit ones. And a few soft stuffed animals that are small enough she can chew on them well. I'm sure as she gets older, all the classics: stacking rings, stacking cups, wooden blocks, shape sorters, boxes, pots, etc. Oh, she also really does love her play gym - she can spend forever pulling the dangling soft toys down and into her mouth and it gives her good exercise rolling around to get them.
#7 of 18 Old 10-19-2007, 09:07 PM

Yes to Sandra Boynton. I must read Barnyard Dance fives times per day to DD. Basically any type of board book as long as it is rhythmic or each page only contains a few works are good for my daughter. She gets bored by something with an involved story. She loves books with animal pictures. Her all time favorite: The Very Hungry Caterpillar. I am so sick of The Very Hungry Caterpillar that I hide it and only bring it out one day a week (I sound like a horrible mommy).

As for music, VeggieTales songs are a really big hit with her. We have a lullaby CD that I play virtually every time we are in the car because it mellows her. But she seems to like lots of other VeggieTales songs. And like Sandra Boynton books, a lot of the songs have a humorous side that adults like. Just try not to sing along to the Song of the Cebu or The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything.

S & J . DD 2/8/7. DS 4/25/10. Natural foods eating, sleep deprived, gardening WAH mama.
#8 of 18 Old 10-19-2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo15 View Post
I love the board books by Eric Carle-- there are quite a few of them out there. She likes them too.
I would second the Eric Carle books. They are just so beautiful. The artwork is incredible, and the stories are cute. I have one that does make a noise when you open the back cover, but it is just the sound of a cricket chirping. It is pretty much the only noisemaker that I have let in my house so far.

For CD's, I currently have the Putumayo African Playground and Reggae Playground in my CD player in the car. DS is 6.5 months old and if he starts to get fussy, I turn them on, and he is good to go for at least another half hour or so, especially if I sing along with them. I have no idea if I am singing the correct words, as most are not in English, but he cracks up at my attempts, so I love them.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#9 of 18 Old 10-20-2007, 01:53 AM
ett

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We also love the Sandra Boynton and Eric Carle books. Some others that I don't think were mentioned:

That's Not My Teddy (or any other in the series)
http://www.amazon.com/Thats-Teddy-Us...2852068&sr=8-1

DK Publishing touch and feel books like this one
http://www.amazon.com/Touch-Feel-Far...2852098&sr=1-2

The Carrot Seed

Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You? (board book version)
#10 of 18 Old 10-20-2007, 01:56 AM

Sophie the giraffe is a favorite! My DD also likes the Kathe Kruse rainbow baby, and the moby fish made by Haba. They are all a good size for her little hands, and I feel comfortable knowing that they are made with safe materials.

As for music, we recently discovered Elizabeth Mitchell. Her album "You Are My Sunshine" is wonderful! I think we are going to get the rest of her stuff too.

Our favorite book is "I Kissed The Baby" by Mary Murphy. The black and white drawings are captivating, and the simple story is fun to read. As a bonus you get to kiss the baby at the end!
#11 of 18 Old 10-22-2007, 01:12 AM

For music we love Laurie Berkner, especially the album "whaddya think of that?" Also putamayo's Dreamland CD is awesome. And Dan Zanes, Raffi, etc.

All the books people already mentioned...plus "I love my mommy because..." beautiful pictures and words. Books are DD's favorite toys, she loves opening and closing them, turning the pages, etc. I read to her a lot, but sometimes she prefers to look through them herself. Books will occupy her longer than almost any toy.

But in the toy dept, DD loves slinkys! (Plastic ones) I also got her a tunnel at a consignment shop, which she loves to crawl through. She also loves these stacking/nesting blocks.

Amy, proud Mama to my girls Natalie (12/7/06) and Miranda (2/9/10).
#12 of 18 Old 10-22-2007, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinklefae View Post
Books by Sandra Boyton are cute and rhythmic and funny from an adults point of view. I especially like "Moo Baa Lalala!" And "But not the Hippopotamus"
I've loved SB for 20 years and am so glad to share her with my girls. They love her!

We also love Wiggles and Raffi for young babes.

Toys - anything by Haba, stacking cups, stuffed animals, and my new fave is Jellycats and Jelly kittens. The latter are the best stuffed toys ever.
#13 of 18 Old 10-22-2007, 01:24 AM

As far as books, DD loves the "That's Not My X" series of books. She is absolutely in LOVE with the "Where's Spot" flap books. OMG...that book has been gorilla glued soooo many times. She went through a Pat the Bunny phase. I hate that book : Right now she loves a book about pandas that has real pictures of pandas in it...it's old though, so, I don't know where you would find it. Also a book called "Fuzzy Bee and Friends" which has different insects you can feel (ie...the dragonfly has gauze wings, the beetle has shiny lame wings, the spider has wirey legs). She also seems to like Goodnight Moon now...she has a LOT of books though (100+ I bought a couple lots on ebay)

Toys....balls...she loves balls, and always has...anything that hangs that she can smack...we bought some windchimes about 8-9 months ago, and she still loves to smack them around...we got her a little tambourine when she was about 8mos old, and she loves that....bags/baskets are popular (she's always loved putting stuff into one container and then out again).

CDs...don't have any. Most children's music drives me batty : We use the radio or computer. She apparently likes Elvis, Trisha Yearwood, and Journey. Especially Journey. I had to play "Don't Stop Believin'" five times in a row the other day... Damn her father and his bad 80s music.
#14 of 18 Old 10-22-2007, 03:28 AM

Todd Parr! We got our niece The Family Book when she turned 5 because she has two mommies, and this book talks about all different kinds of families (some with grandparents, some with two daddies, etc.), and it is still her favorite book at age 8. Our son loves Todd Parr books because they have REALLY bright colors (and he is colorblind) and high contrast, and we love them because they all have great messages.

Also, another vote for SB. Snuggle Puppy and Personal Penguin are wonderful.
#15 of 18 Old 10-22-2007, 09:02 AM

Wow, lots of fantastic suggestions so far. I'll add Sheep in a Jeep to the book list. Good rhymes and it makes me crack up every time I read it.
#16 of 18 Old 10-22-2007, 10:35 AM

DD who is 5 months LOVES her Baby Einstein "Baby Macdonald on the Farm Book". She gets so excited when she sees it. She LOVES touching the fur on the animals. Her other favourites are Pat the Bunny and "That's Not My Teddy.. his paws are too wolly". Basically she likes any touch and feel books. I like reading the Sanda Boynton books ie - Snuggle Puppy.

She also likes books with pictures of real babies... but I have only been able to find two of them!

Me: Shannon (33) mom to DD Everly born May 9, 2007 and Maisie born May 26
: : :
#17 of 18 Old 10-22-2007, 12:04 PM

My fave baby book is called "On the Day you were Born"... I think we have bought over a dozen copies for gifts!

And we love the Putomayo children's cds or any of them really- a great collection of world music organized by theme.

toys... dd is still young and we only have a few wooden teethers and soft cuddlies and a mobile that she loves to look at that is simple in the shape of a atom with a red nucleus.

Aren't we all so blessed to have so many lovely choices for our children?

Grace Comes.

#18 of 18 Old 10-22-2007, 02:12 PM

I had the Richard Scarry books when I was a kid and they were awesome.

caffix.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page