crusty eyes? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 11-26-2007, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter's left eye has been crusty since birth (just 12 days ago). She gets goop in one corner which we clean out by massaging towards her nose, but it keeps coming back. Normal or problem? Thanks--

dd #1 11/15/07 and dd #2 unplanned and so glad the midwife was on her way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 11-26-2007, 03:26 PM

Ellis had that for the first 2-3 weeks and then it just went away on its own : )

Grace - photographer, wife and mom to 4 great kids (Ethan 5.00, Ainsley 4.02, Owen 12.04, and Ellis Ann 10.07) :
#3 of 5 Old 11-26-2007, 04:02 PM

before birth, babies have a membrane separating the tear duct from the sinuses. if the membrane doesn't break before birth, then babies get crusty eyes. if usually pops on its own sometime before 18 months. you can firmly massage the tear duct area with your finger (make sure your nails are short and smooth) to encourage it to pop. you will know that it has popped b/c the crusty discharge will go away.

#4 of 5 Old 11-26-2007, 05:30 PM

The ducts can also clog (dh has this problem even as an adult)... DD's plugs seem to come and go - one will be crusty for a while then clear up and then the other one will. Her pediatrition said not to worry about it.
#5 of 5 Old 11-26-2007, 05:30 PM

I had pinkeye beginning a week before birth and lasting until 3 weeks after. When DS got a goopy eye at about a week old, I thought he caught it.

This is what I did:
Brew a cup of plain black tea. Let it get lukewarm. Put some on a soft, thin cloth. Wipe around the eye (lids, lashes, corners). Then, express some breast milk into a container. Lay the baby on his/her back. Drip a few drops off of your fingertips into the eye. Let him/her stay like that a few minutes because the milk will run out of the eye. Don't waste the cup of tea! Add some ice cubes, or some fresh boiled water, to get a more pleasant temp.

You may want to do this just to be extra careful. It is so non-invasive. It doesn't feel like anything. I did it to myself before trying on DS. When I had time to do it for myself (I am lucky to wash my hair once a week), my pinkeye got a little better each time. DS was so cute looking up at me through an eye full of milk as if there was nothing there! Too bad I didn't have a camera at the time.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page