baby smiles at mobile more than she smiles at me - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 01-20-2008, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

My baby is 7 weeks (almost 8) and i think she has been smiling responsively for quite some time. Since around 4 weeks, she would smile big with her eyes and mouth while looking right at me while i was talking or singing to her. It really surprised me since my son didn't really smile like that till about 6 weeks.
recently we got a mobile that hangs above her during diaper changes. she loves it and she smiles (and coos) much more frequently at the mobile than she does at us. She did give my two yr old ds a big smile the other day but i try to get her to smile and while sometimes she does it is not nearly as frequently or (even as joyfully?) as she does for the mobile.

So i am feeling really bummed about this. Is it because i am too tired...? because i so often feel overwhelmed and exhausted while trying to talk with her...? Am i bad mama for not being overjoyed by her and instead yearning for sleep??? Do i pay too much attention to my DS??? Is this is a sign of autism??

anyway thanks all for the feedback....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 01-20-2008, 12:44 AM

AWWWW,

first of all, you are so much more interesting than the mobile.

YOU are interesting and she can look into your eyes, listen to your voice, and it's just an amazing sight.

The mobile is interesting in a different way and she might be trying to elicit a response from it. "HEY COO WHERE ARE YOUR EYES"

It's new, the excitement will wear off.

When you speak to her, do you leave gaps in the "conversation" so she can "respond" That always triggers my baby's response. Also, if you end your sentence on a high note, so it sounds like a question she should "answer" it. Our conversations sound like this.

"hello sweet baby, are you poopy?"
(random swatting motions with arms and a ton of mouth & tongue movement before she finally utters the word...) "argle"
"No way, are you sure about that?"
(more random arm movements, then a little bit of...) "oooghlee"
"Are you calling me Ugly? Before you were born, I could brush my hair, yeah- AND my teeth."
(random arm movements, then finally...)
"Well Jeez, lady I didn't ask you to stop- where is my darned mobile?"

OK the last part is a lie.

When she sees someone new she doesn't know, she smiles way more than she does for me. She also smiles when she sees the birds on the fence outside. Their motions are unpredictable (like the mobile) and she hasn't figured out yet how to interact with them.

She was born Dec 2
#3 of 3 Old 01-21-2008, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter

thank you so much for your tip. I shall give it a try and see if i can elicit a few more smiles from my sometimes smile reticent babe!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page