Postpartum bodies - Mothering Forums

#1 of 23 Old 12-07-2005, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe it's just a newbie mom thing, but I find myself curious, appalled and thrilled by the myriad changes my body is going through.

My breasts seem to be a new set every day.

My stomach seems still huge one day, and amazingly tiny the next.

The best part though is my feet, which were giant and puffy since the second trimester seem almost unreasonably skinny. I have ankle's again. Imagine ankles!

I'm still looking forward to not thinking about sitting down and not thinking about heading for the bathroom.

What's up with everyone else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 12-07-2005, 09:30 PM

ugh, the weight isn't coming off as quickly this time (3rd baby in 5 years and I'm 35 this time). Weight gain was about 35lbs unfortunately. Blake will be 6 weeks tomorrow and I'm 13lbs above my pre-pg weight. My abs are really loose and saggy this time, much more so than after my last 2 kids. kinda depressing to be honest with you...

It's sooooooooooooo wonderful to finally be finished with pg induced GI issues! Whew!
#3 of 23 Old 12-07-2005, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
I am sooooo stuck between wardrobes! I hate it! I don't fit into my little pre-pg clothes because either my boobs are way too big and/or painful for my shirts, or my non-small butt & hips won't fit into my pants..... & I'm too small & NOT pregnant to be wearing my ginormous maternity clothes! You know what fits perfectly? Pajama pants & giant t'shirts I sleep in!! How glamourous is that??? I am so fashionable!!!!!!!!!
ARG.

And you know what else is bothering me? My libido! I think my body's crazy. I've been feeling seriously lusty for days. My body is nowhere near ready for that! But I am Lusty Girl who lays in bed at night fantasizing about naughty things. It's so weird.

ANNND, on that topic, I still don't know what birth control I'm going to use. I still hate that whole subject. Nothing is perfect, all the options SUCK in one way or another & I just need to choose the least of all the evils. ARGGGG again!!

Despite all of this, I am very happy here in babymoon land.

Oh yeah, & I gave myself a fabulous pedicure last night. Now my feet are soft & delicious again. Hooray!

North Idaho rural living 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 mama to: 24 yo DD, 18 yo DS, 10 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yr old DS, 4 yo DD, 3 yo DS, and our toddler boy!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
God willing, someone new is coming in Jan. 2017!

#4 of 23 Old 12-08-2005, 12:49 AM

Breastfeeding is making me fade away, except for enormous breasts! I'm at or below my pre-pregnant weight already- and working hard to try to keep weight on. I've been in my pre-preg pants since 1 week pp, but only the bigger/longer shirts fit my breasts and don't ride up too high in the front. I'm asking santa for new shirts.

I just developed some photos with some pregnancy shots on them, and was marveling at my belly- except for a little sagginess in the skin it's totally gone. I think I'm mourning a little bit, since I was one of those freaks who really liked being pregnant

And I hear you on the craptastic bc options, zjande. We've played russian roulette so far- but I am really not ready for another baby next year- so if we can control ourselves we're using condoms. Apparently I need to wait until 2 months postpartum to be fitted for a diaphragm or cervical cap- which is what I think I'll end up using

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#5 of 23 Old 12-08-2005, 07:10 AM

I can so relate to these things you all are saying!

I lost some weight quickly at first but it's leveled off recently and it is about 14 lbs more than I weighed when I got preggo. I have no idea what I weighed while pregnant though b/c I didn't weigh myself. A week or two after she was born, I weighed. Trying not to focus on it too much as I have struggled with an eating disorder for years. It was non-existant while pregnant but the taunting within my head has begun, again. I am trying to remember that I am not fat but that I am the right size for someone who recently gave birth and is breastfeeding.

Maternity clothes do not fit me but I am not comfortably into pre-preg ones either. Ditto on the pajama pants and big shirts. Why isn't this okay for my public appearances? Plus, it was so warm here and is now so cold. I missed fall completely so I really lack clothes to wear. My shirts must have all shrank in the wash b/c they are now above my belly button. Hmmn...

I miss being with DH so much and have the same thoughts about getting with him soon. Our new mattress sucks for me so I barely even sleep in the same bed these past few days. I had a dream that I was BFing Hugh Grant and he tried to put the moves on me. I am not even attracted to movie stars; I think it shows how desperate I am.

I do like that I can reach my feet and tie shoes. I do like that I have ankles and calf muscles, again.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#6 of 23 Old 12-08-2005, 08:52 AM

my PP body is different than it was the first time. I don't know how exactly but yeah, it's just different. Maybe because I'm a little less shocked by actually being able to see ALL the stretch marks and cottage cheese lumps this time around.
The skin on my belly was so loose last time (after I had reached near pre preg size at 9 months postpartum) that I had zipped my skin in my jeans more than once. This time I've been more careful to keep applying the stretch mark healing stuff and it seems to be tightening my skin a bit. Not really hoping for a tummy tuck in a jar but it seems like my skin won't be as saggy this time.
As for up top...well, I'm very top heavy with my F cup babies! Even having a nursing toddler in addition to a newborn isn't really helping get them any smaller (even though willem tends to help me empty out). I can fit into my prepreg nursing bras when I'm empty but literally bust out of them when I get full again. It's kind of funny when you break a snap on a nursing bra that fit just an hour ago...
And then there is the subject of dh and I... we've been trying to have our "fun" but it's just not fun to me when I don't really get anything out of it IYKWIM. So after I stopped bleeding for 4 days straight in week two I decided maybe we could cheat on the wait for 6 weeks thing...did a bunch of pp sex reading here on MDC and decided that it really wasn't that odd to want to have sex this soon after birth. And I really wanted to because I was afraid that my desire would somehow go away if we waited the 6 weeks. So... and (hear the hallelujah chorus in the background??? there should be fireworks back there too ) And absolutely NO PAIN!!! It took a long time for it not to hurt after I had Willem but this time is so much different. Only downside is that it made me start bleeding again. So we'll wait a while again before trying.
Ditto on the bc options. Condoms are so annoying but it seems that they are the most convenient (and therefore most likely to actually be used) for us.
#7 of 23 Old 12-08-2005, 03:22 PM
Banned

I've got way more to loose than 10/15 pounds, I'll tell ya that much.
#8 of 23 Old 12-08-2005, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunter

I miss being with DH so much and have the same thoughts about getting with him soon. Our new mattress sucks for me so I barely even sleep in the same bed these past few days. I had a dream that I was BFing Hugh Grant and he tried to put the moves on me. I am not even attracted to movie stars; I think it shows how desperate I am..
Ha! Hugh Grant bfing! I love it! That made my day.

I had one or two weird dreams too. Then I read that the hormone that is responsible for "letdown" is the same responsible for Gettin' It On. Oxytocin - not to be confused with Oxycontin, which is the drug Rush Limbaugh uses. All that coursing through your veins, you're bound to have a Hugh Grant dream now and then.

Dual-purpose hormones. Now what kind of Intelligent Design God would be twisted enough to think up that little mind-game? A very sick one, that's who.

(This is a reductionist argument, of course - Oxytocin is known as the "cuddle hormone" if one wanted to be romantic and sweet about it)

However, my husband now thinks I'm the hottest mama on the planet. Size A to size D is a novelty around here, along with a flattish stomach - in comparison to a month ago. Yes, I am just like Pamela Anderson. Except smarter. And not blonde. And not on TV. And I can't run on the beach. I can't run, in general. My uterus would fall out.
#9 of 23 Old 12-08-2005, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMoe
I've got way more to loose than 10/15 pounds, I'll tell ya that much.
you're not the only one!
#10 of 23 Old 12-08-2005, 05:41 PM

Great topic.

I am soo curious about my weight- I gained about 25# but now that I don't see a midwife with an 'office' with a scale, and we don't have one at home, I have no way to weigh myself- I am dying to know how much I weigh!

It is definitely taking longer to heal this time. I still have a little bit of bleeding (3 weeks pp). I feel a slight pain in my pubic bone/uterus region. And my abs are totally stretched out and weak- I have done some very tentative and gentle ab exercises just to test them out, and, ugh- I have a long way to go!!

A cup to D cup is what we've got here, too! So strange for me to see myself that way! And to sleep in I have my own homemade nursing pajamas- a t shirt with slits cut in it- so my boobs are hanging out all the time tempting dh- poor him- me with this big chest and I don't want it to be touched!

I can totally see wanting to have sex in a few weeks- we waited 5 weeks last time. The main problem is my breasts, not everything else! They are just painful and my nipples hurt and milk is spurting out all the time- I feel like they'd get in the way of my enjoyment! I'd really like to just be close- spend time together- but it's tough considering I go to bed around 8pm and he has to put ds to bed- we never get to spend time together at night to just talk and be together.
#11 of 23 Old 12-08-2005, 11:56 PM

However, my husband now thinks I'm the hottest mama on the planet. Size A to size D is a novelty around here, along with a flattish stomach - in comparison to a month ago. Yes, I am just like Pamela Anderson. Except smarter. And not blonde. And not on TV. And I can't run on the beach. I can't run, in general. My uterus would fall out.[/QUOTE]

Same situation here... 34A to 36C and dh is LUSTY for it! I told him no nooky till my midwife says okay, though. I am enjoying all the kisses and attention...

Hope everyone is having fun!
#12 of 23 Old 12-09-2005, 01:34 AM

I've found that DH seems to just get hotter for me the more pregnant I am, and when I'm nursing he's hot for me, too. My boobs are definitely bigger, but other than that I think I just look as though I've swelled all over.

The stretch marks haven't faded yet, which is a bummer. My ab muscles are in great shape (I've always been obsessive about them, the midwife commented five minutes after Ellie was born that I had amazing abs!), its just that there's a thick layer of fat over them. I'm 12 pounds over my pre-DD-preg weight, 25 pounds over my pre-DS-preg weight, and 50 pounds over my college weight. Honestly, I know my college weight is way too low for me (especially nursing two kids!), but I'd like to get back to my pre-DS weight. I seem to have plateaued a bit, though. I remember last time I lost 20 pounds immediately, but then the weight loss slowed a lot...

I thought I was looking all hot, then we did our familly portrait and I was horrified! So scary...

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#13 of 23 Old 12-09-2005, 09:51 AM

Well, I'm currently weighing a full stone and a half less than I did pre-pregnancy- mercifully, the weight gain minimisation thing seems to have worked for me. The good news, from everyone else's point of view, is that I probably still weigh the same as two of you put together, so you REALLY have no need to hate me. Still, I'll be skinny soon...
Nothing even vaguely approaching a sex drive here. What with dealing with Isaac's constant need for cuddles and Skye's constant need to eat, I'd like to share my body with me before I get round to sharing it with anyone else

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#14 of 23 Old 12-09-2005, 02:42 PM

I'm also below my pre-pregnancy weight, but it's not turning out to be the happiness and bliss that I'd hoped it would be. I'm down 21 pounds from delivery and 10 pounds from what I weighed before Elliot, which combined with nursing seems to be continuing the gallbladder problems I had while I was pregnant. So, it looks like I'll be having removal surgery once Elliot is a little older, and we've for BF established well enough to have a freezer supply. Big, big bummer -- I'd really hoped to avoid that.

Nothing even resembling a sex drive here either. DH is panting at the bit to resume relations, but I couldn't care less. I only get a couple of hours total over the day when the little one isn't physically attached to me, so I'm not inclined to spend that time physically attached to DH.

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
#15 of 23 Old 12-09-2005, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Sex drive came roaring back the minute it didn't hurt to sit. However since I had a manual extraction we'll have to be creative until were in the okay zone.

Anyone else still gassy?
#16 of 23 Old 12-12-2005, 04:59 AM

nak

i'm down 5 lbs. from pre-pregnancy and it's not 5 lbs. i could afford to lose. so i'm trying to gain it back while bfing...

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
#17 of 23 Old 12-12-2005, 04:30 PM

I have no clue what I currently weigh. There are scales at the front of Publix that I could get on and see, but I have been avoiding them so far. I don't go back to see my midwife until January 5 and I am just hoping to be below pre-pg weight then since I was at 235 when I got pg. Now if I can just manage to get the rest of that off and keep it off at a decent weight things would be good. On the boobs subject I am currently wearing a 42 J. How many people here knew they make bras that go up to that big a size? Before I had dd I started out at a 36DDD or 38DD. After nursing her for 3 years I was a 38 G when I got pg this time around. When dd was young they were around a 40 H. I am hoping they will eventually go down in size this time around too. They are just killing my back and with my abs still soft I am sure it is not helping.

I've also had some thoughts of doing things with dh, but since I am still bleeding I know its not a good idea. I am also still having some pain in the region of my stitches which is not good for doing anything since with dd I tore up each side of my urethra and close to their this time although nowhere near as badly as last time. I have actually had dh look a couple times to see if I had pulled on my stitches or something to cause the pain I was feeling. He didn't see anything so I am guessing it was just healing along the scar tissue that was already there. Whenever those pains stop happening and I stop bleeding we probably will go ahead if we are both in the mood at the same time.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#18 of 23 Old 12-14-2005, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonnabeamom
Anyone else still gassy?
I am still terribly gassy. What does it take to get that to go away?

Christa
#19 of 23 Old 12-14-2005, 07:02 PM

At LLL meeting today, we talked about nutrition. So, they said about hte weight loss after birth that "9 months on, 9 months off" is normal. I am trying to chant that and not flip out about still having 15 pounds on from my pre-pregnancy weight. It's been 5 and half weeks now.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#20 of 23 Old 12-14-2005, 08:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunter
At LLL meeting today, we talked about nutrition. So, they said about hte weight loss after birth that "9 months on, 9 months off" is normal. I am trying to chant that and not flip out about still having 15 pounds on from my pre-pregnancy weight. It's been 5 and half weeks now.

Oh... if only I had only 15 to loose.
#21 of 23 Old 12-14-2005, 10:42 PM

uh yeah, more than 15 here too.

-Sarah

Sarah photosmile2.gif, 29 - married and entirely love.gif with DH geek.gif. Mama to our one and only amazing Adeline joy.gif 11.05  Forever holding 4 brokenheart.gifs .

#22 of 23 Old 12-15-2005, 07:00 PM

Nobody posted about this so I'm starting to get concerned. I still have extreemly painful poops, and I bleed after each one (dd was born 11/15). My stool is soft, but I'm still just a mess down there.

Yea, no sex drive
#23 of 23 Old 12-15-2005, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sonja,

Try taking extra magnesium. Say - 2-3 capsules/supplements per day, what you get at the drugstore. If this doesn't help, take up to 4 or 5. You can't OD on magnesium really, and it helps all the tissues and "poop problems" to heal. Not to get too personal, but are you straining? My MW said that any pressure or abdominal work or straining at any time of day will increase bleeding (and not to do it!).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page