Is a ring-type sling an essential piece of equipment? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Is a ring sling an essential piece of equipment?
YES! 15 62.50%
No, any sling works equally well. 3 12.50%
Depends - you should at least own one to see if you prefer it. 6 25.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

#1 of 20 Old 10-14-2005, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I'd like to hear your opinions - is a ring sling essential, or is any type of sling fine (especially for newborns)? I've heard ring slings are the best for nursing, is that true?

If you think ring slings are the way to go, what brand do you like best? I tried one on and it just felt so bulky, like I was swaddled in a blanket. The lady who sells them said it was the kind recommended by Dr. Sears - with padded rails and stuff.

Opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 10-14-2005, 05:51 PM

I don't know that it's necessarily an essential piece of equipment - but I love them. But - I do not love the padded ones - waaaay too big and bulky feeling (and way too hot in Florida!). The kind I like is made out of lightweight fabric and can be stuffed easily into a diaper bag / backpack / purse. And - they're super easy to make once you get the rings.
#3 of 20 Old 10-14-2005, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I hate the padded ones personally but yes, I think a ring sling is essential in the beginning. I had a pouch and my son just screamed and screamed cause I couldnt make it any tighter and make him feel more secure (and if I went down a size then he was totally squished!) LOL I like rings because they make it adjustable. They arent as cute (IMO) as a pouch but Jevin loved the ring sling much better. I used Maya wrap and maya wrap look alikes (non padded wahm ones work fine for me as well.)

HTH!

Mama to a teen and tween

#4 of 20 Old 10-14-2005, 06:24 PM

I've never had a ring sling, this is so whatever but I just don't think they are aesthetically pleasing. I however love pouches, more streamlined, much easier to store in your purse since the fold up nicely. My fav is from Mom and Me Creations - Pea in the Pod pouch. It is adjustable with quite a few rows of snaps, super comfy, beautiful work and Jen is absolutely fantastic to work with.
#5 of 20 Old 10-14-2005, 06:33 PM

I love love love love love my maya wrap. i've never tried a pouch but if you're gonna get one definitely go through Jen at Mom and Me Creations. I got a wrap from her that i love. her pouches are adjustable too so maybe the fit issue would be moot.
#6 of 20 Old 10-14-2005, 07:10 PM

Linky? It's not working when I type momandmecreations.com LOL

Mama to a teen and tween
#7 of 20 Old 10-14-2005, 07:11 PM

http://www.mom-and-me-creations.com/ found it!

Mama to a teen and tween
#8 of 20 Old 10-14-2005, 07:13 PM

yup, that's it! sorry i didn't see your request in time!
take some time to read her son's inspirational story...*prayers*
#9 of 20 Old 10-14-2005, 07:18 PM

Yeah I remember them from awhile back. My 4 y/o cousin was in the same hospital as samuel for leukemia too. He is in remission now though as of recently (cousin.)

Mama to a teen and tween
#10 of 20 Old 10-14-2005, 08:18 PM

I had trouble using my maya wrap at first when dd was a newborn- but got it after a few tries, I think I really would have had trouble with a pouch or any other type. Now I have a pouch from the sling set (Claire had recommended them) and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. But I still love my maya wrap and will probably use it for the new baby at first. ITA w/ the others about the padded- HATE 'em. I also agree that the ring slings are not as nice looking as the pouches---they look bulky to me with all that material but some people like that look. I prefer the look of the pouch but I still love the versatility/adjustability of the maya.

Beccalove.gif mama to 2 girls and  IT'S A BOY!! 3/31/11 babyboy.gif
#11 of 20 Old 10-14-2005, 10:07 PM

Even my friends who love their Ergos used a ring sling in the beginning. I used a pouch and then switched to the maya wrap at around 3-4 months. It was difficult to use at first, but I made myself practice until it was second nature.
#12 of 20 Old 10-15-2005, 04:19 AM

I love my over the Shoulder Baby Holder.
I have also tried non-padded, and I hate them. This may in part be because I have physical/joint issues and a lot of chronic pain. No padding = more pain.

Except in the case of the ultimate baby wrap, which is a demi-god.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#13 of 20 Old 10-15-2005, 04:33 AM

I had a padded ring sling (Nojo) with my first two babies and I only used it a couple of times. For my third baby I made a non-padded ring sling from the maya wrap pattern and I love it

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#14 of 20 Old 10-15-2005, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I use unpadded ring slings. DH and I are really different sizes, and we'd do a lot of passing a sleeping baby in the sling between us. We could then just adjust the sling to fit us without removing the baby.

We used a Maya wrap at first, but since it was borrowed from my sister, I had to send it back before my niece arrived. I replaced it with a homemade one of a slightly different design. The difference is that it fans out over the shoulder spreading out the weight. DH found it was much better for him as well since the Maya wrap would tend to cut into his neck.

The design I used is from http://www.sleepingbaby.net She used to post a pattern you could follow, but it seems to be gone now. If you go to "construction" you can see a picture of the pleats that make the fan, and the just follow the basic Maya wrap pattern from there.
#15 of 20 Old 10-15-2005, 12:17 PM

I had an OTSBH (padded) sling with the first 2, and it worked better when they got a little bigger. When they were newborns, they didn't like being lost down there in all that padding, they overheated, and neither of them were big fans of the cradle hold anyway (wanted to be upright).

This time around, I am sewing 3 unpadded ring slings. 2 will be made of stretchy organic interlock, to be used in tandem (with the rings in my armpits :LOL ) to hold baby upright against my chest.

The other will be made with a nice, breathable silk dupioni fabric I picked up cheap on ebay ($3.90/yd! ). I'm planning to use this ring sling in the traditional way, and I'm hoping the babe will tolerate the cradle hold in this sling, since the fabric will be more breathable and not as bulky.

Jen
#16 of 20 Old 10-15-2005, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz
. . .The design I used is from http://www.sleepingbaby.net She used to post a pattern you could follow, but it seems to be gone now. If you go to "construction" you can see a picture of the pleats that make the fan, and the just follow the basic Maya wrap pattern from there.

Wendy, the pattern is here:

http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/inde...aby/index.html

I'm relying heavily on it for my slings, with just a few modifications.

Jen
#17 of 20 Old 10-15-2005, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks! Wow, she's added a lot of links in the last 3 years. The link I had was broken, I see now she's totally reorganized her site.

...currently printing the Mei Tai instructions...
#18 of 20 Old 10-15-2005, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i think yes. and my favorite is the mamababy by mayawrap - jersey knit so it's nicely adjustable and it's so little material , it just hangs like an accessory (albeit an odd one!) it doesn't feel like bulk, even when there is no baby in it, like in the car (i hardly take it off) and it packs easily into a diaper bag or backpack. i couldn't have lived without mine. but, to be honest, in the beginning we used a fleece pouch because it was so cold and that was fine also - didn't feel uncomfortable under a coat. the mamababy was where it was at for the majority of the time, though. it's the first sling i could ever nurse in.
#19 of 20 Old 10-15-2005, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I didn't vote because there was no real NO vote. I started out w/ an unpadded ring sling, and did not like it, nor the padded ones I tried. I now have an unpadded pouch that we've been using daily for the past year and I LOVE it and would never go back to rings.
#20 of 20 Old 10-18-2005, 03:42 AM

With DS, I preferred a ring sling with a padded shoulder, but no padding on the edges. In my experience, slings with padded edges were too hard to adjust. My favorite ring slings are from www.sunshinesling.com

I also have a Mom-and-me-creations pouch that we used occasionally. ITA that Jen is awesome to work with. However, I think I'd prefer a pouch for a newborn more than for an older baby - we'll find out with DS #2.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page