I'm watching too much TV!! Help! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 12 Old 06-28-2009, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter is 16 months old, we just moved recently, and I'm kinda enjoying a break from the mommy groups and have been going to the gym every weekday morning. Thats all been great. BUT

After we get home and have lunch, I pretty much watch TV all afternoon, till about 5:00 when I get dinner started. I feel like I should be doing more, but I don't know what. DD is content playing with her toys and me reading her books (with one eye on the TV), but I don't feel like I'm the person/mom I want to be watching all that TV. But DD is not happy if I try to read a book, or use the computer for more than 5 min. If i didn't get to the gym everyday, I'd feel like a total blob... DD does take an afternoon nap where I can usually get an hour to myself... but I find that I STILL watch the stupid TV - I'm addicted!

I guess I'd just like to know what some of you do in the afternoons...
Today, I told myself that I'm not turning on the TV... but now what?? I guess we do go to the park a few times a week... fun for her, but not for me so much- Its HOT here in the south.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 06-28-2009, 09:13 PM

I find it REALLY critical to write a schedule each day. It can be simple:

9-11 Make breakfast, clean out DD's closet, storytime, bath
11-1 Make lunch, do laundry, play polka CD for baby to dance to, hem pants
1-3 Nap for her, TV for me -whooo!
3-5 Go to grocery store & Costo, then make dinner

Stuff like that. I have a super-easy DD, she entertains herself cheerfully all day, and on bad days I let her -- and just play online or whatever all day. I alwasy feel like I wasted my day afterwards. A schedule REALLY helps.
#3 of 12 Old 06-29-2009, 12:28 PM

I make a schedule too

The mornings are for chores, cleaning up, getting dressed, stories, and in the afternoons we play outside, swim, have play dates, or work on crafts and whatever else.

I do a little television or a video in the evening after dinner + our showering.

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10

#4 of 12 Old 06-29-2009, 03:09 PM

We got rid of cable awhile back- and promptly found other things to fill our time.

Can you work on sewing while she plays? (fill in sewing with some other household activity/ craft if need be) Can your read your own book? Clean? Do you like to have music time together? (My son likes all the same music that my hubby and I do, we don't to kiddie music and we're all happy)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but you can do it. You just have to have the willpower to turn it off!

Stephenie, Wife to Nick partners.gif 9/3/05 Mama to Keagan treehugger.gif autismribbon.gif 4/12/07, Eden dust.gifhomebirth.jpg3/29/09  3rdtri.gif Someone new coming in July and two angels 6/06 and 10/10. Check out my blog! blogging.jpg

#5 of 12 Old 06-29-2009, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

I should read more... Especially while dd is napping. I guess that's a good place to start. We are renting a house right now, and I don't really have a place to sew or do crafts except the dining room table, and we do eat there. So I guess its just laziness, but I don't even want to bring that stuff out to work on for however long dd will let me, then have to put it all away. I do want a creative outlet though... maybe I can do that cross stich that's been hanging around in my crafts for more than a year now... that wont take up so much space or make a mess.

Anyhow, thanks for the ideas. I didn't turn on the TV till much later the last few days. We went to the mall to play, went to the park to play, listened to music and danced... its been better. Maybe I should join a group of some kind around here.

So what kind of crafts are you ladies doing with a toddler?? I would love to do something like that, but not sure what would be good with a 16 month old. I do let her scribble on paper with a pen - she likes that! lol

Anyhow, THANKS
#6 of 12 Old 06-29-2009, 08:54 PM

I have a 15 month old and we don't really do crafts - I'd LOVE to hear what others have come up with!

I'm still in the "find stuff she can get her hands onto" stage.
- Play-Doh is good fun.
- She's really into sorting and making towers. Blocks to stuff into a box or beans to sort into bowls are all very entertaining.
- I gave her a bunch of wire whisks and wooden spoons which she loves to carry around the house and stuff into drawers or any crevice she can find.
- She found an old empty purse of mine which she carries around and stuff with things, like her beloved wire whisks, all day long.
- I'm working on getting her to kick a ball.
- We sing "Hokey Pokey" or the "Head, shoulders, knees and toes" song. Well, I sing, and only if no one else is watching. Working on words is my excuse, but mostly it's just fun to watch her imitate me.
#7 of 12 Old 07-01-2009, 09:58 PM

One thing that might help would be to consider every TV show you're tempted to turn on in terms of its suitability for your child. Whatever it is you're watching -- is it something you would intentionally turn on for your child to watch? Is there anything about its content, or about the commercials aired during it, that you wouldn't want your child seeing?

As for what to do instead -- I've always been a big fan of leaving the house. Going to the playground, going to the zoo, meeting up with friends, visiting a museum, whatever.

Good luck!

Sonja , 40, married to DH (42) since 5-29-93, DD born 11-3-2004, DS born 1-18-2007.
#8 of 12 Old 07-03-2009, 06:46 PM

I like to knit ... and it can even be done while watching TV DS has his own balls of wool and knitting needles to play with while I do my thing. I usually only get a row or two finished, but it all adds up quickly. A friend taught me knitting a year ago, and seriously, it was one of the best things to have happened for me. It's an affordable craft (until you start getting obsessed with lovely yarns) and a single knitting project barely takes up any room at all. You can even throw it in your handbag to do while waiting at the Dr's or wherever. Plus, my DH agrees ... that knitting is housework!! I'm creating fabric, and then clothing, for my family. Truly D

Mothering my 4yo DS and 1yo DD
I knit : I sew : I read : I craft : and I very occasionally and irregularly blog
#9 of 12 Old 07-04-2009, 12:41 AM

:

We don't do TV but I'm certainly interested in hearing/learning what other Moms do with their afternoons. Our mornings are dedicated to tidying/cleaning, and some afternoons we shop, go to the library, whatnot, but I do find a lot of down time on my hands!

SAHM to Chloe (02/28/08) & Samantha (10/06/10)... not quite crunchy - think of us as al dente, finding our way to self-sustainability & full-out crunchy living ... trial and error, one day at a time! 
#10 of 12 Old 07-04-2009, 02:52 AM

In the afternoon we usually do something fun because mornings are either cleaning or running errands. Some days we just play outside-I either play with them or if they're self entertaining I read or garden. Other days we go to the library, the park, the beach, on a play date, or for a walk. We eat early though so I'm prepping dinner by 4.

Could it be just a phase? Burn-out from moving or the heat of summer? I remember when DS1 was around 10 months I got hooked on Alias on DVD and it seemed like I watched then nonstop until I watched all of them

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
#11 of 12 Old 07-07-2009, 11:47 AM

i don't watch a lot of TV, my problem is being online!!!! i have about 6 weeks left of this pg and we already have a 10 month old ds and a 4 1/2 yr old dd and they are exhausting the life out of me. so i turn on the computer when i get up and it usually stays on all day!!!! i don't have any family here so i feel lonely except when dh calls or gets home from work, so i use the computer to feel connected to other moms (like here!). so, i'm looking forward to giving birth and getting moving again with the kids!!! although i'm sure i'll still be on here a lot!

s
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- JW 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 writing
wifey to j
  (11/03) and

mommy to s 
 (10/04), l 
 (8/08), j
(8/09), and little s 
 (12/12)

#12 of 12 Old 07-08-2009, 11:54 AM

I made a rule for myself to not turn the tv on during the day. DH and I usually watch our DVR shows after dinner, the last hour or so before bed. So, during the day, DD and I:

-toys while I have coffee and browse online
-usually go for a bike ride to the park
-breakfast/running errands if need be
-she plays with her toys/toy kitchen, etc. She's pretty self-entertained in that area. I'll usually start cleaning then.
-nap time. While she naps, I'll usually clean up, make dinner plans, work on laundry, shower myself, browse online, work on my scrapbooking or read
-lunch
-playing outside in sandbox or baby pool
-bath time
-playing with toys/books
-coloring in high chair while I prepare dinner
-sometimes DH gets home and takes her on a walk while I get a few minutes to myself
-dinner/snuggle time with Daddy/DH and I watch tv (she always falls asleep)
-our bedtime

I need to get motivated to do more cleaning during the day! It's getting a lot better, though I'm putting off that master closet.

I'm working on her scrapbook/baby book and am having SO much fun with that! It's really time-consuming and slow-going, so it is so fun to have a creative project to work on. I'm also working on her needlepoint Christmas stocking (now that I'm SAH, yay) and another for her sibling.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page