Watching Friends Children, should I expect payment and how much? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 11-06-2018, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Watching Friends Children, should I expect payment and how much?

So, two months ago my friend had asked me if I would possibly be able to watch her children once a week if she were to get a job she applied for. She had originally mentioned paying me although there was never any amount discussed. I have two children of my own 4 and 2 and her children are 3 and 2. Last week she messaged me to tell me she got the job and asked if I could watch her kids but didn’t mention any money or anything. I told her I could watch the girls but the topic of money hasn’t come up and I don’t know how to bring it up. If I bring up the topic I have no idea how much money I should expect to be paid either. I’ll be watching her children on Fridays from 8am-1pm. I’ve babysat her girls before as a favor and never expect anything except for her to reciprocate the favor when I may need it but, since this is a regular occurrence I don’t think I could carry on doing it for free. I am supposed to start watching them not this Friday but the next.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 12-17-2018, 11:03 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Nothing more awkward than money issues between friends. I might say something along the lines of "I am happy to start watching the girls while you work on Fridays but we haven't discussed details like payment yet. If this will be a long term plan I'd like us to protect our friendship by having an agreement in place ahead of time."

Even if she is a friend I highly recommend a simple contract stating when you watch the girls and for how much money, how much extra money if the mom is late (or you could charge hourly - but keep a careful log), what happens if they are sick, what happens if you are sick, when payments are due, how much notice you will give for vacations, etc. It's only a few hours once a week but you still want to think some of these things through to prevent issues later.

My personal rule for babysitting is that if it's once in a while, I don't expect payment. If it's on a regular basis so they can work, I do expect payment. If you will be doing it every friday, it's a commitment and a big responsibility, and you deserve to be paid fairly for your time and any expenses.

BC Mum of 5 (14,12,9,6,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
baby) and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
21wks
15wks
#3 of 3 Old 02-13-2019, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Jaclyndell,
I currently watch a friends daughter through the summers when they are out of school and I ask her to pay me. Although I do not as her for payment if I watch her throughout the school year when they are out for holidays and vacations. I feel like the difference is one is a recurring event (like a job) and the other is her just coming over to hang out with my daughter (her best friend) while they are out of school. I think that if you are watching her regularly then you need to ask for money. Your time has as much value as your friends, and if she is your friend, she should understand that you need money as well.
With my friend, she pays me $30 per day that I watch her daughter, but I am in the Midwest, and I am not sure how prices are where you live. I think that may be a starting point and you and she can work out the final cost by communicating. If she were sending the child to day care she would paying a WHOLE lot more!
Another option is to ask around on Facebook or Instagram to your friends and ask how much they pay for in home day care. That would give you another good place to start!
Hope it all works out!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page