Are you having an u/s? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Are you having an u/s?
Yes, but only one 7 30.43%
Yes, 2 or more 8 34.78%
No 7 30.43%
Maybe 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

#1 of 13 Old 12-21-2005, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In our December chat thread KRS asked about u/s so I thought I'd start a poll so we could have a percentage. Happy voting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 12-21-2005, 11:09 AM

I voted no. Much of the research I've seen is sketchy as far as possible side effects. Also, we are low risk. I might feel differently if I were high risk.

That said, we have been doing doppler (which is same technology as u/s) - but mw has been very good at finding the heartbeat and taking doppler off in only a minute or so.
#3 of 13 Old 12-21-2005, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

I voted no as well. Like the pp, I'm low risk. We have chosen to use doppler at my prenatals. I feel lots of regular movements so I'm not so worried about hearing the heartbeat but I don't mind having the mw take a listen.

I had two u/s with dd, the regular 20 week us and another quick one at 28 weeks when we had a no movement scare.

I had two u/s with ds as well, the OBs I started out with did an u/s for dating purposes at 8 weeks (which confirmed my O date exactly- not my last AF date ) and the standard 20 week u/s. I switched to a midwife at that point, so it's possible I would have had more if I had stayed with that office.

No u/s this time, for three reasons: I don't think it's necessary (for me), we want a surprise this time, and it would require going to an OB and I've had my fill of docs for now.

#4 of 13 Old 12-21-2005, 11:46 AM

We had an u/s at 20 weeks and plan for this to be our only one (which was also our plan for DD but there was a question of her being breech/transverse right at the end and my m/w was concerned about my fluid levels so we agreed to a second u/s). With a history of spina bifida in our family, and in utero sugery now available, we felt that it was important to have at least one u/s.

Hopefully with this babe the 20 week will be our one and only u/s.

DH and I were pretty anti-u/s with our first pregnancy but as we did more research, we honestly did not find the anti-u/s research to be very compeling. Still we try to take a moderate approach.
#5 of 13 Old 12-21-2005, 11:56 AM

I vote yes 2 or more. I am 39 and we had our first at 11wk when we had CVS testing and then yesterday at 20 wks to check for spinal development,heart chambers, etc. For us it was definitely age related high risk but its nice to know that everything is looking good. It seems like the older I get the more I worry about all the what ifs!!!
#6 of 13 Old 12-21-2005, 12:21 PM

I voted no. We aren't using a doppler at the appointments either.

Pretty much for the same exact reasons as you, Michelle

I had two ultrasounds with each of my other kiddos--one for dating very early on and one around 20 weeks for whatever reason (for us it was to find out the babe's gender--I'm not sure the OB's or medwives' reasoning--they never told me)

Obviously, if there is a medical need later on, we'll do whatever is necessary, but I'm avoiding everything that I can

mom to three boys:  reading.gif(18 bigeyes.giffencing.gif(10&7)
#7 of 13 Old 12-21-2005, 12:50 PM

I did have one because of cramping but will not be having another one.

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#8 of 13 Old 12-21-2005, 01:01 PM

I was torn on that one last time, but I ended up with 3 u/s (1st one was the routine u/s, after much research and thought we decided to do it, 2nd one was to ensure baby was head down, which she was, 3rd one was a week before I delivered, as I had been in a car accident and needed to make sure baby was fine). I plan on only having one u/s this time again, unless we have unforseen events occur like we did last time. I actually feel I need to know the sex of the baby because DH and I have differing views on circ, and I only want to bring them up if the u/s reveals we're having a boy. Silly reason for an u/s, but I want to go in informed. U/S is scheduled for the 4th of January, when I'll be 20 weeks exactly.

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
#9 of 13 Old 12-21-2005, 05:48 PM

We will have one done next Tuesday, and that's it. With Rachel I had 3. The 1st one was to make sure there weren't twins 2nd was at 20 weeks, and 3rd was at about 35 weeks, as I was on bedrest, and we wanted to check her size, etc. With Emma I had one.

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby
#10 of 13 Old 12-21-2005, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I voted no,however we do use doppler twice in each pg-1 at first appt(3 mo. or so)and one in labor.I almost did get a us twice this pg,for intuitive nerves,but was good w/ the doppler.Also low risk and inconvenient as we have a homebirth mw,and that's it.I've never had an us,but am open to one if the need really arises.
Thanks for the thread/poll,busybusymomma!

:::
#11 of 13 Old 12-22-2005, 12:02 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We did 1 at 12 weeks and 1 at 20 weeks and would like for that to be it. I agree with Unreal, unless there is some medical necessity I will avoid more. I also agree with dharmama about moderation. DH and I discussed the benefits and the risks. I was finding myself to be very high-strung and it felt good to see the little one was doing fine, even though there are no 100%s. Now that I feel my baby more regularly and he or she is getting stronger, I am way less stressed. Too much family history of babies passing, m/c and PTL on the maternal side of my family for my nerves to handle. Even though everything felt/feels fine, I was on a low-grade freak out at first. I have been and will continue to refuse anything that I don't feel would really benefit me or the babe here. Trying to listen to my good ole gut.

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

#12 of 13 Old 12-22-2005, 04:35 AM

I had one at 6 weeks and one at 20 weeks. I won't be having any more unless it's necessary.
#13 of 13 Old 12-22-2005, 10:49 AM

I will be having a level II in the first week of January (at 20 wks) and my doctor stated that he would prefer another one later in the pregnancy. I'm not clear what this extra ultrasound would be for, other than it relates to my high risk categorization. I haven't decided how I feel about it yet either. DH thinks it's retribution for declining the triple screen.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page