Cloth Diapers for Beginners - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 265 Old 10-20-2005, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimid
I'm planning on CDing my group. . I'm figuring 4-5 pound babies to start so I need some small things!
!
OK did I miss something? What is up with "group" please talk!

Oh and sorry about the Angels- well not really Thanks to them my hometown finally has a team going to the World Series!!!!!!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 265 Old 10-20-2005, 07:23 PM

I'm going to check the Trading Post too. I try to avoid Ebay since it could get to be a habit and then its more of a game with bidding.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#33 of 265 Old 10-20-2005, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st
OK did I miss something? What is up with "group" please talk!
amys1st - see this thread:
https://www.mothering.com/discussions...24#post3971424

just piping in to say that we started off with sposies with my son and were finally all cloth around his 1st birthday ... my dh is still most comfortable with pockets, but i'm totally addicted to the cute fitteds, and i'm also now converted to flats. prefolds and i, well, we're still working out an arrangement, but i'm hoping to feel the love someday.

i got a great gift a while back from a friend who knew we were ttc: a whole bunch of new kissaluv 0s, infant prefolds & covers. also, some random fitteds.

i've been trying to figure out what would be best for a newborn, and i'm thinking fitteds for us, because i just don't think my dh will be happy about prefolds and snappis. i *might* be able to convince him he can just lay the prefold in a cover and snap it, but i don't think he'll take to snappis or pins.

my best advice to anyone new to cloth diapering would be to see what you can pick up used ... you can get some great deals and try stuff out without spending too much $$$ ... some people will then settle on a system they like, whereas others (like me ) will like one thing one day and something else the next. okay, i'll admit it, i'm a cloth diaper addict.

as for wipes, they just seemed to show up around here. from shower gifts (those little washcloths) to other washcloths i had hanging around that i cut up ... and i got some cheap terry wipes from somewhere ... i'll see if i can figure out where and post it.

good luck, mama! welcome to the cd world. :

#34 of 265 Old 10-21-2005, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnittingKara
okay, Miriam, if YOU aren't intimidated by cloth than I *so* have no reason to be
:LOL I figure that and bfing are the 2 things I can do my way no matter what! Plus I use cloth and also cloth tp so why not for the kids? Also, as I tell everyone, they have great resale value and I cna always switch to sposies!

I picked up some kissaluvs, prowraps and wipes on ebay tonight for about 1/3 of the lowest online price I could find elsewhere. I would figure out what you want, hunt down good prices at stores and then search ebay and remember to add in shipping.

And Amy, I had an u/s at 7 weeks and have coming! The doc said all had good strong cardiac activity so he's pretty sure they'll all make it.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#35 of 265 Old 10-21-2005, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
And Amy, I had an u/s at 7 weeks and have coming! The doc said all had good strong cardiac activity so he's pretty sure they'll all make it.
Wow - congratulations!

And thanks again for all of the CD info. I guess my next step is to just take the plunge and actually buy a few things - Can't wait It sounds like ebay is a great place to start (as well as here on the tP)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,3 spirit babies

Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow 

#36 of 265 Old 10-21-2005, 11:15 AM

Miram- again congrats. I was trying to avoid your thread not thinking what it meant until after my first appt. Now I understand duhhh.

This thread is going to be my lifesave. When I go to order, you ladies can hold my hand. My dh is all for it. He is also PO at the $$ we gave to Proctr/Gamble for 36 plus months. Of course now the $ we are not spending is going in the gas tank anyway.

#37 of 265 Old 10-21-2005, 12:37 PM

Amy,
Just let me know if you want some cding lessons...I would be happy to have some show and tell with you one day! I have a pretty good variety from fitteds to pockets to aios....I have one prefold and a snappi around here somewhere as well. It will just suck you in even more to cding....it really is addictive!
#38 of 265 Old 10-21-2005, 02:46 PM

Miriam ... I would get premie prefolds and some premie prorap covers ... they should fit your little ones at about 5lbs or so.

Amy ... I'm in Angel land (and fans here too); it's cool the Sox won, what with not having won since 1917. But, if the Angels had actually been playing how they should have, it would've been a different ballgame!!! (They stunk and didn't deserve to go ... : ) It should be a good series between the Sox and the Astros.

And now back to your regularly scheduled program!

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#39 of 265 Old 10-22-2005, 12:13 PM

We might have to have a show & tell. Thankfully we have a few months.

#40 of 265 Old 10-26-2005, 12:57 AM

Anybody know what a "good" price would be for used but good condition fitted CD?

I am totally new to CD (first baby), although I spent a lot of time diapering my youngest brother in cloth when I was 11 and 12 years old! Back then, my mom just had the plain white rectangular diapers we folded to size and wool covers with velcro to keep them on (I think they were called "biobottoms") ... so the whole universe of "fitteds" "prefolds" etc etc variations I am just now hearing about is overwhelming! I'm right there at square one with you, Amy!

Anyway, a friend has some she wants to sell me, but I have no idea how many of which sizes I'd need to start off, and what is a good price. I will go back an re-read what all has been posted already and see what I can glean, but any pricing tips would be much-appreciated.

I think I should assign diaper-research to DP, she would probably make a spreadsheet of all the options ... I love that she's a geek like that.

**edited to add - I just googled and found this guide site: http://http://www.diaperbeagle.com/fin/c_options.asp , it helped explain the different options well, with pictures and sample brands for each**
#41 of 265 Old 10-30-2005, 04:48 PM

My mom is going to sew a bunch of dipes for me I think I might sew some too since I just got a serger! I'd like to make some pre-fitteds and covers... any ideas?

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#42 of 265 Old 10-30-2005, 05:29 PM

I sew a bunch for ds#2 (and am going to start soon for new bean) - prefitteds are really easy, imo - i can email you pics of one from start to finish if you'd like. I've also used the cuddlebuns pattern, which is pretty good, but does need some modifications, imo. (The wings are too short I think, and I also use the "bikini cut".) I've heard really good things about the Darling Diapers patterns (I have the potty dance pants pattern), plus Amber (the owner) is a sweetheart when it comes to answering questions. I've also wanted to try the Very Baby patterns (fitteds, covers, and aio's). Maybe something like an all-emcompassing pattern like the VB, and then making prefitteds would have you set? Oh, and I love buying my diaper fabrics from Sewzanne's Fabrics. She's a wee bit more expensive than One Stop Diaper Shop, who is also really good, but ships faster. Both shops have great selections though.

If you'd like some pic's making a prefited, feel free to pm, and I'll send you my email or you can give me your email in a PM, and I'll send you pics.

#43 of 265 Old 10-30-2005, 05:34 PM

I have a local friend who is in LOVE with motherease. I have seen her stuff, and love how they size up. She started using them when her babes were about 10 lbs, and kept them up to pull-up size. Any patterns like that? I have looked through the patter resources and can't find anything.

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#44 of 265 Old 10-30-2005, 05:44 PM

The cuddlebuns is a one-size pattern ... so that might be a good one to go with. The Sew Shoppe carries it. It's also on sale, but it says for "this month" so I'm going to assume it's only on sale through Monday. PooPockets is also a one-size diaper and seems to work as a semi-fitted if you want (no closure, or if you use the right material on the outside, can probably use a snappi or pins).

#45 of 265 Old 10-30-2005, 05:46 PM

I was just looking at cuddlebuns....

#46 of 265 Old 10-31-2005, 09:54 PM

OK I am still way learning here. But I am starting to get an idea. I am going to start ordering in March to spread out the love/expense. I have an idea what I want and saw some on ebay so I might get some early ones there to save a few bucks.

#47 of 265 Old 10-31-2005, 10:29 PM

I just ordered some Bummis from the TP It seems scary to buy so soon.. but I really want to get good deals and spread the money over several months. yippie!!

#48 of 265 Old 10-31-2005, 11:06 PM

I asked on the diapering forum for some advice on what to get so now I'm hunting down the best deals. I've got a box of 22 Kissuluvs, 4 Prowraps, 6 AIOs and 3 Fuzzi Bunz all itty bitty. They are so cute! I got them all off ebay and have a bunch more on my watch list.

#49 of 265 Old 11-01-2005, 12:46 AM

Mimid- how the heck did you do that that fast?

I better get moving!!

#50 of 265 Old 11-01-2005, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Mimid- how the heck did you do that that fast?

I better get moving!!
I just lucked out and all the auctions ended right when I looked and then I Paypaled and they sent them really fast.

I asked on the diapering forum for suggested quantities and brands and I still need a lot more...dh is going to love that!

#51 of 265 Old 11-01-2005, 12:08 PM

Miriam- remind Ron that I paid a little over a $1000 last year for Pampers/wipes for DD and she was a 2 yr old at the time. That means it cost me about $3500 give or take for 36 mos to diaper my child. So bsically I pooped on that money and threw it out. Mulitiply that times 3 and you got your bill. I know its worth it to CD your beautiful 3 babies due to arrive sooner than later. Remember this # for breastfeeding too- $3500 a year is what it costs for formula. Take this number and multiply by 3. That money would do better growing in the bank don't you think??

I'm going to start looking at ebay and I also click on all these pop ups that different mdcers have on this website.

#52 of 265 Old 11-01-2005, 05:35 PM

I already started! i bought some used newborn proraps, some small bummis, a couple of fuzzibuns, and some prefolds! All great deals, all used from either ebay or the tp. yippie! here we go!!

#53 of 265 Old 11-01-2005, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Miriam- remind Ron that I paid a little over a $1000 last year for Pampers/wipes for DD and she was a 2 yr old at the time. That means it cost me about $3500 give or take for 36 mos to diaper my child. So bsically I pooped on that money and threw it out. Mulitiply that times 3 and you got your bill. I know its worth it to CD your beautiful 3 babies due to arrive sooner than later. Remember this # for breastfeeding too- $3500 a year is what it costs for formula. Take this number and multiply by 3. That money would do better growing in the bank don't you think??
I went to Costco today and jotted down the prices for wipes and dipes so that I could do the math and be ready. I didn't even think about getting the formula prices.

#54 of 265 Old 11-01-2005, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimid
I went to Costco today and jotted down the prices for wipes and dipes so that I could do the math and be ready. I didn't even think about getting the formula prices.

You're our kind of girl. Keep thinking that way and you will have a beautiful

breastfeeding experience.

#55 of 265 Old 11-05-2005, 04:49 AM

Okay, I haven't read everything cuz my eyes are getting blurry, but I wanted to mention this site since I haven't seen it on this thread yet. It is a bunch of articles written by Jessica of One Stop Diaper Shop (and also Very Baby diapers) and I've just been going over it tonight. It's very informative and answers a lot of the questions some of you were asking.

I'm a novice at cd too. I started using them with dd when she was about 18 months old, and bought a whole stash of mediums, which she promptly outgrew in no more than 3 weeks. And she was very interested in the potty, so I didn't want to buy a whole stash of larges, so I just went back to pampers. But she took longer to PL than I expected, and we're still in the process. So now I'm looking in to just getting a few things for night, since I'm pretty sure she'll still be in soaking through the night for sometime and I'm sick of buying disposables.

I really want to use cloth only with this baby. Dh delt with it when I did it for a month with Sariah, but he said he still liked sposies better. But, I think he'll get to liking cloth eventually. If I just don't have any other options in the house.

Anyway, that site, if the link doesn't work, can be found on the diapershop.com website, under Cloth Diapering FAQ.
#56 of 265 Old 11-05-2005, 12:34 PM

Thanks for the site! I might just sew up some diapers. I remember looking at a cloth diaper a friend of mine had and thinking- I could make this!!

#57 of 265 Old 11-06-2005, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I CD'd my son from the beginning, using newborn Kushies for the first month (loved' em, bought more used and now have 15 for this baby). I didn't find the next size up in Kushies to be absorbant enough for my supersoaker though, and I have tried a bunch of different dipes.

I loved wool longies and a mama-made thick fitted for nights and hemp stuffed FBs for days. Now we have 8 FBs and use a sposie at night, since he outgrew the beloved longies and it was too warm to use longies at night anyhow.

I am really a fan of consistency in whatever kind of dipes you use. Nothing confuses a dh like having several different kinds of dipes. I also found that the kind of dipes that work well in one size might not be the best choice for the next size up.
#58 of 265 Old 11-07-2005, 01:27 PM

First time prospective Mom here who is interested in CD, but many questions.

I guess the first thing I ought to ask is whether my child care provider will consent to use them. It's one thing to clean one's own baby's caca, but I'm not sure I can ask someone else to do it.

Then, how often do you change them? Whenever they wet? Is that what the "inserts" are for? And what about those "soakers"????

As you can see, I need the basics here.
#59 of 265 Old 11-07-2005, 04:19 PM

Definitely check with the child care provider - some are fine with it and LOVE aio's or pre-stuffed pocket diapers. Those both go on just like a disposible, and then instead of putting them in the trash, they can just put them in a wetbag for you instead.

#60 of 265 Old 11-07-2005, 04:50 PM

My stash is already crazy I will have to take pictures. I am mostly going to do fitteds and wool!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page