Nursing Mamas Thread - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 119 Old 06-30-2006, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My milk came in with no pain, not one ounce of engorement! I am so thrilled; I have never had it this easy before. BF is going great!

As for NIP, I do uit anywhre and anytime. My babies needs come first. I will try to be at our local VS tomorrow at one. I saw the peeing vs. nip comment and I bit my tounge but I am glad it was discussed further. It really bothered me to see such a comparison made on Mothering of all places.

:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 119 Old 06-30-2006, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelgianSheepDog
=.I mean it's a hospital, there's far more shocking things to be seen all over the place. I was also surprised how big of a deal they thought it was in the ward...every time I'd feed her they'd completely surround me with those stupid curtain things until I could hardly breathe from the claustrophobia.
nak
oh yes- forgot about that. I starterd to not tell them when I was going to nurse just to avoid that. A few times Id be nursing for a long while and they would be there and then ask me when did i want to nurse Maggie: .

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#33 of 119 Old 06-30-2006, 10:13 PM

Seriously, the fact that you all are up in arms over me using that analogy over why I prefer to nurse covered is very sad. It was the first thing that came to mind as I typed my response, and I already said that perhaps it wasn't the best choice to make my point, but the bottom line is that I PREFER to nurse covered. I should not have to defend modesty or manners. What a sad commentary on society.

And to suggest that it is about the babies' needs is ridiculous. If someone nurses in public with a cover, that does not mean they ignore their child's need to eat. How absurd. He nurses whenever he wants to - he just does it with a blankey people!

#34 of 119 Old 07-01-2006, 12:24 AM

We've had a rough time. Long story short a recessed chin and severely tied tongue = blistered and cracked nipples and lots of tears shed over the pain. We finally decided to have his tongue clipped after seeking the advice of some knowledgeable people we trust and doing some research. As soon as he got home from the docs he nursed well on both sides and for the first time in the 3 days since my milk came in he got enough milk off to take away the engorgement! Felt wonderful. I had been up nights pumping for hours but by the time I got one side softened up the other side would be full again (meanwhile DH was feeding via dropper). My milk lets down like crazy! I seriously didn't know how I could go on, even one more nursing. The pain was so bad I was shaking. My nipples are looking better by the day and we're working on his latch. At least now he has the use of his tongue, that helps! Really, he couldn't use his tongue at all. Our LLL leader said she has no clue how he was latching at all.

I really thought that after the tough time I had nursing dd I'd have it easier with this one... not so! Took me 3 weeks to heal from the damage she did due to not being about to open her mouth all the way during her first 2 days. Same pain as this time. Try to walk around without a shirt on but even the air hurts. Doc suggested black tea bags to help heal the nipples... now THOSE feel good! Dh referred to them as the "nipple cozy" the other night. He's too cute.

Man, my kids really will never have any clue what I've gone through for them! All I have to say is they better not go on to ruin their own health after all I've endured to give them the best start in life!

QUESTION: Is it normal for a newborn to nurse so often... its like, he will nurse for an hour, fall off on his own, and then start screaming and rooting within minutes. He does this all the time. He looks absolutly desperate to nurse, as if he hasn't eaten in a day. Its as though he's got to have a nipple in his mouth to be content. He poops about 6 times a day and wets a diaper every 1-2 hours. Its insane. He spits up a little every few feedings, but nothing major. I just don't get how he can eat so much. I'd really like a break!
Today he's had 2 long naps, but that's a first. I think maybe because its so hot.

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

#35 of 119 Old 07-01-2006, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyL
I agree with everything you said LeighAnne, but I like to stay covered when I NIP out of courtesy, modesty, and politeness. I really dislike it when women NIP uncovered out of defiance or some sort of outrage and desire to make a "statement." I just think it's rude.

Perhaps "peeing" wasn't the right comparison or analogy. There are lots of perfectly "natural" processes that people do that are not polite to do in public. I'm not talking about nursing in general, I'm talking about immodestly whipping your boob out, etc. That kind of thing that may make people uncomfortable.
I figured as much and I agree the modesty *is* important - especially to me b/c of my religious beliefs, I do not make a show of myself in order to feed my child, but nor will I hide the gift that God has given me under a bushel (or blanket, or by going to some "designated area") when I can otherwise be discreet right where I am. HOWEVER, if NIP makes a mama more comfortable with a blanket over the shoulder then what's the big deal? Like you said Stacy, it's not like you're starving baby, you're just feeding him in a way that makes you (and others around you) more comfortable...nothing wrong with that!

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#36 of 119 Old 07-01-2006, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace's voice
QUESTION: Is it normal for a newborn to nurse so often... its like, he will nurse for an hour, fall off on his own, and then start screaming and rooting within minutes. He does this all the time. He looks absolutly desperate to nurse, as if he hasn't eaten in a day. Its as though he's got to have a nipple in his mouth to be content. He poops about 6 times a day and wets a diaper every 1-2 hours. Its insane. He spits up a little every few feedings, but nothing major. I just don't get how he can eat so much. I'd really like a break!
Today he's had 2 long naps, but that's a first. I think maybe because its so hot.
Yes, I think that's "normal" - either that or my dd2 and this one are abnormal Seriously, #1 I would say, maybe he's as happy to be nursing 'normally' now as you are and #2 Some babes just like to 'comfort suck' and (this is just my little theory) but you know how you fall asleep in a strange place, when you wake up you're thrown for a loop? I think that falling asleep nursing could be like that for a little one, I fell asleep with that nipple in my mouth, now where the heck is it?!?!?!

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#37 of 119 Old 07-01-2006, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Seriously, the fact that you all are up in arms over me using that analogy over why I prefer to nurse covered is very sad. It was the first thing that came to mind as I typed my response, and I already said that perhaps it wasn't the best choice to make my point, but the bottom line is that I PREFER to nurse covered. I should not have to defend modesty or manners. What a sad commentary on society.

And to suggest that it is about the babies' needs is ridiculous. If someone nurses in public with a cover, that does not mean they ignore their child's need to eat. How absurd. He nurses whenever he wants to - he just does it with a blankey people!
Obviously you have a right to your own opinion. I personally am not offended, though I don't agree with you. Like I said, I'm comfortabel with NIP, but that's me. I think we're making a mountain out of a mole hill. We all don't have to adhere to the typical Mothering.com practices in order to participate on this site do we?

mom to dd 8/03 ds 6/06 and numero tres, ds 11/11 stillheart.gif

#38 of 119 Old 07-01-2006, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace's voice
yes

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#39 of 119 Old 07-01-2006, 11:08 AM

Quote:

not up in arms at all- dont have any hands free to be that way
Like I said, if you want to nurse covered up, go ahead. I am also covered up but I have a nursing top/bathing suit whatever on and I will do it in public to feed my baby which is her needs-sorry so riduculous. I am not doing a Jerry Springer routine and throwing my boobs out just feeding the baby.
No one is slamming you for sticking a blanket over the babys head, its the remark about peeing and again you said its the first thing that came to mind and we will move along. Again whether I agree w you or not- who cares, it wont be the first time: .

#40 of 119 Old 07-01-2006, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustmom
We all don't have to adhere to the typical Mothering.com practices in order to participate on this site do we?

:

Thank you.

My dh was joking that the you lose your membership or your "street cred" on MDC if you don't do every single AP NFP thing there is to do!
#41 of 119 Old 07-01-2006, 03:54 PM

Holly - I'm glad to hear that freeing the tongue tie made such a difference. It's really hard to find a provider around here (Boston area) who will do it for my daughter, which is so odd to me since they will all circ a boy, no questions asked!

My nipples are finally healed up with the help of a nipple shield, but still pretty tender. We have an appointment with a ped ENT on the 13th, and she'll be almost a month at that point. The other option was AUGUST. She's gaining weight well (up to 7 lbs today, from a low of 5, 2 in the hospital), so her peds aren't that concerned, but apparently a mama at the end of her rope is not a good enough reason to fix the tongue. I had to really chase people down to get the referral. I was just in at the LC again today, and we worked more on latching with the shield on. Harper does the eat-poop-eat routine during the day, and the LC says it's because she has to work so much harder to feed. I am calling more people on Monday to see if I can get a quicker appointment with another doctor. I really do see why people quit breastfeeding, let's put it that way. I'm very glad we have no formula in the house to tip me over the edge.

Oh, but a good part about nursing: I love it when she does fall asleep on the breast and reaches up and throws a hand over it, as if she's saying "miiiine."
#42 of 119 Old 07-01-2006, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommitola
Holly - I'm glad to hear that freeing the tongue tie made such a difference. It's really hard to find a provider around here (Boston area) who will do it for my daughter, which is so odd to me since they will all circ a boy, no questions asked!

My nipples are finally healed up with the help of a nipple shield, but still pretty tender. We have an appointment with a ped ENT on the 13th, and she'll be almost a month at that point. The other option was AUGUST. She's gaining weight well (up to 7 lbs today, from a low of 5, 2 in the hospital), so her peds aren't that concerned, but apparently a mama at the end of her rope is not a good enough reason to fix the tongue. I had to really chase people down to get the referral. I was just in at the LC again today, and we worked more on latching with the shield on. Harper does the eat-poop-eat routine during the day, and the LC says it's because she has to work so much harder to feed. I am calling more people on Monday to see if I can get a quicker appointment with another doctor. I really do see why people quit breastfeeding, let's put it that way. I'm very glad we have no formula in the house to tip me over the edge.

Oh, but a good part about nursing: I love it when she does fall asleep on the breast and reaches up and throws a hand over it, as if she's saying "miiiine."

I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time finding someone who will do it. It really was a simple thing. Benny cried when they held him and tried to open his mouth, but the actual proceedure didn't affect him much. They crush the frenulum with a clamp, which numbs it, then they snip it. After all the research I'd done on it I was geared up for it to be hard to find someone. Then I found out my naturopath/midwife does it right in her office! I feel so blessed. s to you. It so horrible no one will help the two of you. You'll be in my thoughts a prayers, and yay to you for sticking with it!

Holly, eternally in love partners.gif with Kolby, Raising Juelie Anise (10y), Behnjamin Shen (6y), and Coen Syaoran (4y). Expecting June 2013 2ndtri.gif

#43 of 119 Old 07-01-2006, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommitola
Luuuuuuv that! :
#44 of 119 Old 07-01-2006, 06:49 PM

Joining in the thread. Jared's a terrific nurser. I've got lots of milk, and he's gaining well. It's such a relief after having a stressful and rocky start to nursing with DS1. Go mamas, we're doing a great job!!
#45 of 119 Old 07-01-2006, 08:04 PM

We've got thrush!! Thankfully I think I caught it early. I noticed some tiny white spots on her tongue yesterday... and we got the Gentian Violet going right away. Today.. i can't see the spots at all Fortunately I don't have any breast pain or anything.... lets hope it stays that way. We've been on acidophilous since we left the hospital, since I was on gnarly antibiotics for 3 days... so I'm not surprised we got thrush. Not happy, but not surprised.

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#46 of 119 Old 07-01-2006, 10:40 PM

I just had my son on Wednesday and just got my milk today and just got out of the hospital. I didn't have that much colustrum and my son was very grouchy until yesterday. Now that my milk is in it seems like he really doesn't want to latch on...he lateches on and then lets go and it seems like he is just playing. Or he will latch on and really get going and then he falls asleep. And then it is very difficult for me to get him to wake up and eat. Any suggestions?
#47 of 119 Old 07-02-2006, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahlynn83
I just had my son on Wednesday and just got my milk today and just got out of the hospital. I didn't have that much colustrum and my son was very grouchy until yesterday. Now that my milk is in it seems like he really doesn't want to latch on...he lateches on and then lets go and it seems like he is just playing. Or he will latch on and really get going and then he falls asleep. And then it is very difficult for me to get him to wake up and eat. Any suggestions?
Have you seen a lactation consultant? The little guy might be wearing himself out trying to latch on. I would seek help ASAP and if the first person you see tells you to supplement, I would get another opinion first. Don't panic and supplement without seeking help first. You can diminish your supply that way. I'm sorry I don't have any good advice, but I just wanted to respond since this post has been up for a few hours with no response. Please hang in there.
#48 of 119 Old 07-02-2006, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama
We've got thrush!! Thankfully I think I caught it early. I noticed some tiny white spots on her tongue yesterday... and we got the Gentian Violet going right away. Today.. i can't see the spots at all Fortunately I don't have any breast pain or anything.... lets hope it stays that way. We've been on acidophilous since we left the hospital, since I was on gnarly antibiotics for 3 days... so I'm not surprised we got thrush. Not happy, but not surprised.
I just took a look at your Baby Ruby blog, and I have to say...it's so cute! And she's so cute! I love all the pictures and gushing, and you look wonderful!
#49 of 119 Old 07-02-2006, 01:41 AM

aw thanks

Saralynn, I second candice's advice to see a LC. ours helped emensely. I thought Ruby wasn't gtting enough because she'd only eat for 5 mins at a time.. but apparently she was just very efficient. A lactation consultant will help with the latch and put many of your fears to rest

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#50 of 119 Old 07-02-2006, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama
oh yuck mama. i battled w/ thrush for 3 months w/ my second dd. i had stupid antibiotics for being group b +. which is why i didn't go that route this time! hang in there!

just wanted to throw this website out, i'm sure must of you know about, but it's my favorite. http://www.kellymom.com/

sorry about my typing w/ no caps, i'm nak
#51 of 119 Old 07-02-2006, 10:59 AM

we have been battling thrush too- major pain in the neck

#52 of 119 Old 07-02-2006, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st
we have been battling thrush too- major pain in the neck
i feel for you. have you grapeseed extract? http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/bf/thrush.asp i washed my bras in it too.
#53 of 119 Old 07-02-2006, 12:03 PM

Thanks coco - I am going to try this today. I have been taking probotics and eating yogurt.

My mil suggested putting yeast on Maggie's tongue and it seems to be working. (her 1st of 9 bfed babies had it, in fact she noticed it before the Drs did) I will get the grape seed extract today and I will wash bras and diapers in it. I will also treat w it since I have been using a cream to treat my nipples. I think we are just passing it back and forth- oh duh I took antibotiotics last week and I also have a yeast infection now too.

Maggie is also on amoxicillian which is helping keep it around.

#54 of 119 Old 07-04-2006, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Thrush is such a pain!

We finally beat it with a combo of gentian violet, probiotics, gse, and a "triple nipple cream" from my ob. I think the gentian violet did the trick and the cream keeps it from coming back (I hope).

Nursing with thrush was so painful.

Marlow's new thing to do is nurse for about 10 minutes and pull off screaming. When I pick her up I notice that she is just drizzling the milk out of the other side of her mouth. My pants will be soaked with milk and I'm guessing that none is going into her .

I don't get it.
#55 of 119 Old 07-04-2006, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nursing is going OK here....with DS it worked great right from the start, I had NO problems whatsoever, and was apparently very lucky! Not quite so easy this time around, though...

DD seems to have been a "tongue sucker" in utero, or so the MW and LC at the hospital say, she must have sucked her own tongue for comfort in there...cause now when she goes to latch, her tongue is pointed up towards her upper gums instead of down by her lower gums, and sometimes it's a real struggle to get her latched on well. It's like she's the opposite of tongue tied and my nipple keeps getting pinned between the bottom of her tongue and her lower gum. NOT comfortable. I haven't had any bleeding per se, but am cracked and red, and those first few seconds are a little piece of hell each time she gets on...I think I finally figured out this morning a good way to get her latched on and keep that tongue down - I start with my nipple at her nose, compress the heck out of it, and slide it down and shove in while her mouth is open. That's worked twice today and the pain goes away pretty quickly. Once she's latched on well, though, she's like a Hoover - REALLY strong, effective suck and swallow going on there.

She's wetting and pooping like crazy so I'm not worried about her getting enough, I just have to keep concentrating on her latch until she "gets it" on her own.

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#56 of 119 Old 07-04-2006, 02:00 PM

nursing is great. i've actually squirted him in the face a few time already! but not on purpose of course. i need a new nursing bra already. anyone have any luck w/ sports bra nursing bras??? I just hate underwire.

bras SUCK!!!! :
#57 of 119 Old 07-04-2006, 02:27 PM

I found the best bra is the glamourmom tank nursing bra. Worth every penny. I am a big chested mama and it supports so well. I am so happy
#58 of 119 Old 07-04-2006, 04:07 PM

bravado here. I might try a glamour mom- how do they run??

#59 of 119 Old 07-04-2006, 05:57 PM

I have a YES bra, and it'd great, just like the Bravado.
#60 of 119 Old 07-04-2006, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st
bravado here. I might try a glamour mom- how do they run??
They run pretty true to size! I'm huge! I have a store around here that sells them so i got fitted for one. the bra top is more supportive then just the bra tank one. i like it because my stomach doesn't hang out. i don't do nursing tops.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page