Aaargh!! Pooping pooping pooping on walks! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 10-30-2009, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am wondering if anyone else has this problem. I have a 9 mo old Boston Terrier. Over the last 3-4 months, when we have taken her for walks, she is having progressively looser poops over the course of the walk, to the point you cannot pick them up (eeeww). They seem to be about every 10 min and get softer to the point of what I would call diarrhea and I cannot pick them up. Yet again I came in this morning to have to take off her poopy dog sweater and wash it and wash her butt in the tub. I have seen her poop 5-6 times in a 45 min walk! She'll have a large solid one in the yard before we go in the morning, however...!

On the days we don't walk, she is fine, and has 1-3 bowel movements but formed. She is still on the puppy food the breeder had her on (a high quality food, not a supermarket food, I get it from the pet store that the breeder runs). The bag says to keep her on it until one year of age. I do notice her eating habits are getting irregular. We kept offering it 3x per day around the same time of the day, taking it away after a half hour if she hasn't eaten it so as to not free feed, usually now she eats only twice (almost never first thing in the morning, but more at noonish, and then in the evening, I have even noticed in the last few weeks that she eats only once sometimes and a large amount instead, usually in the evening. She goes through about 2 1/2 c a day on a "good" day) What I am trying to say is that we are consistent about when we offer food, but she is not about eating it.

She still is very playful, active otherwise and looks healthy and drinks well and continues to gain weight. And as I said on the days we don't manage a walk she is fine. She is not having accidents in the house either. She does not constantly chew on rawhide or rice bones or anything like that. I know in the past she has been given some table food (meat) by the kids and I have told them to stop, she has not had table food in the last 2 weeks that I know of but this is still happening.

I am especially stumped that this does not happen on the days she stays in the house and was thinking if this was infectious it would be, and there would be accidents.

I had a vet assistant I know say some dog's systems are just aggravated by exercise. Anyway, it's very annoying! Any advice anyone????

Tina, RN, wife-y to J, mom to dd (10) and ds (7)
"Beware the lollipop of mediocracy...one lick and you suck forever!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 10-30-2009, 12:53 PM

Yes, exercise does stimulate the bowels, that's one of the reasons going on a walk is often suggested to get a dog to poop if they won't. Pooping so many times can also be a type of marking, so unless she really digs in and needs to go you can just keep walking. Keeping a brisk walking pace also helps prevent marking, whether it be pee or poop.

To a certain extent this is normal for the 5th or 6th poop to be looser as it has not spent as much time in the colon getting the water drawn out of it. However you can help it by feeding a food that firms her stools better - that worked well for one of my dogs who would have the first stool firm (or almost) but all the other ones would be pudding.

BTW, at 9 months old you can certainly go from 3 to 2 meals per day. I would do that especially since she doesn't seem interested in eating 3 anyway.
#3 of 7 Old 10-30-2009, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola_ View Post
Yes, exercise does stimulate the bowels, that's one of the reasons going on a walk is often suggested to get a dog to poop if they won't. Pooping so many times can also be a type of marking, so unless she really digs in and needs to go you can just keep walking. Keeping a brisk walking pace also helps prevent marking, whether it be pee or poop.

To a certain extent this is normal for the 5th or 6th poop to be looser as it has not spent as much time in the colon getting the water drawn out of it. However you can help it by feeding a food that firms her stools better - that worked well for one of my dogs who would have the first stool firm (or almost) but all the other ones would be pudding.

BTW, at 9 months old you can certainly go from 3 to 2 meals per day. I would do that especially since she doesn't seem interested in eating 3 anyway.
I don't think this is marking, I tend to just keep walking along but she gets to the point she digs her heels in and just goes and cannot hold it anymore.

What food for the bowels? We use an Eagle Pack brand. Are you talking canned pumpkin? I have heard it is used both for loose or hard stools.

Tina, RN, wife-y to J, mom to dd (10) and ds (7)
"Beware the lollipop of mediocracy...one lick and you suck forever!"

#4 of 7 Old 10-30-2009, 04:25 PM

Unfortunately I don't have a magic food to recommend, but different dogs do better on different foods. For us it only resolved with a raw diet though. Canned pumpkin can be worth a try too, though I'm not sure it will help with this particular issue but it's worth a try. Go for the 100% pure pumpkin and you should only need a teaspoon or so per meal.
#5 of 7 Old 11-01-2009, 02:08 AM

One of my dogs always poops twice on a walk--regardless of what he has previously done in the yard.

We walk a long loop trail almost exclusively (it's around the corner from our house & it's easy) The first poop is about 50ft in. It's firm and easy to pick up. The second poop is 3 miles later--about 50ft from the end--and there's no way I could pick it up--it's totally loose and liquidy. Fortunately he does not poop on the trail....

It's not a food issue. He eats a good quality kibble and has no s/s of intolerance. On days we don't walk, his yard-poops are consistently firm.

I don't know what to advise. I know some elimination issues have a psychological component (which is trainable, sort of.) But otoh, elimination is also linked to exercise, so I don't know how far you could realistically go with conditioning (higher frequency, shorter duration walks.)

homeschool.gif mom to dd (11) read.gifand dd (9) crochetsmilie.gif and ds (3) bikenew.gif and  dog2.gif(x2)
#6 of 7 Old 11-01-2009, 02:21 AM

My boston (aren't they so sweet?) did this as well. We moved her to 1 meal a day at that point on high quality food (with snacks an treats later in the day as well, small good-for-her ones) and yet she still had the runny poop on walks things.
#7 of 7 Old 11-01-2009, 05:33 PM

Had a bulldog that did that as well. It never went away.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page