Is this rescue a good fit? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 01-03-2015, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is this rescue a good fit?

Sorry this is so long but I need advice!! We're fostering a young yellow lab mix since Thursday. We were told he was a house pet, housebroken and good with kids. (I have a 6 and 9 year old).

When they dropped him off, they disclosed that he had never lived with kids, had been an emaciated stray off the street, and had been crated up to 12 hrs a day in his previous foster home. The first day he was here he peed 4x in 2 hrs, once 10 minutes after a walk, with all of us present. So more talk w/ the rescue, disclosed that he had that problem before, so the previous foster only let him out under supervision.

Yesterday he was on the couch w/ my 6 yr old and growled at him when he leaned/hugged on him. Today he nipped at his head (and made contact) for the same thing. Later in the day my husband tried to get him off the couch and he nipped at him, growled and had to be put on a leash before he'd get off. So of course no more couch for the dog or leaning for the 6 yr old, but this behavior disturbs me. Should it, or is this just a training issue?

So I"m thinking this dog isn't a good fit. I wanted an older rescue just to avoid the housebreaking. I could live with that but growling, nipping and biting...What do other mamas/dog owners think?

We have another older rescue who has been a dream, but what they told us--housebroken, basic obedience training, etc--was true. I'm not sure what to do with this one. He's overall very calm and submissive acting, but my only two deal breakers--potty issues and aggressive behavior--are present. And I'm not loving the crate and constant supervision. The previous home kept him under supervision whenever she was home for weeks--the entire time she had him--which to me means the dog isn't housebroken.

My kids love the dog so I have to make a decision asap. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 01-03-2015, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thos dog needs an experienced foster home to help him understand boundaries and basic house manners.

My advice in these situations is to tell the rescue what is going on and that the dog needs a different foster home.

I'd also have concerns that he was placed with your family as a foster directly off the street.

Especially if you were just looking for a nice family dog and not a behavior/training project.
#3 of 3 Old 01-03-2015, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks Sofreshsoclean. I feel terrible turning him back and the kids will be so upset, but you said it perfectly--we were hoping for a nice family dog. He wants to be a good dog but he def needs some help and I don't know that I'm the one to do it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page