Surgery or home remedies? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 09-12-2008, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know what to do. My dog has the strangest medical problems

The dog is a miniature schnauzer and he's 11 years old. He has had a recurring problem (for about a year and a half) of the skin surrounding his penis swelling. It's kind of near the opening. It is not life threatening in any way and doesn't cause him any pain. He doesn't have any issues peeing either. It's just really swollen and it keeps getting bigger.

I took him to the vet yesterday. She said I can either do surgery to cut the part off that keeps swelling. She said it would be about as simple as a surgery could be. The other option was to try and get the swelling to go down and basically let it go. She suggested epsom salts and using an ace bandage to hold it up so that fluid wouldn't rush there due to gravity. Those things aren't working.

So, should I just ignore it and let it go or do the surgery? Any other options would be helpful too.

I'm not going to post a picture of my dog's dong, but it's huge. Normally it's about the size of a grape and very close to his body. Now it's about the size of a plum and is hanging down 2 or 3 inches. On a 16 pound dog it's very obvious.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 09-12-2008, 03:20 PM

What is it, some sort of yeast infection? Did she tell you what was causing the probem? Has she done any cultures? Something has to be causing the swelling. If you knew what was causing it, then you could treat that rather than treating the symptoms.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#3 of 4 Old 09-12-2008, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Her best guess was a benign tumor of some sort. The first vet to look at him (a year and a half ago) checked for any foreign material and infection and couldn't find anything. He said that he could cut into it and see if there was anything, but he didn't think it was worth it. It was only slightly swollen then and went back to normal size every other day or so.

It's never normal size anymore, but there are some days it's more swollen than others. It's more like golf ball for a week and then plum for a week.

More information: There is no oozing, bad smell, it's not abnormally warm, it looks perfectly normal other than being 5 times the size it should be.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08

#4 of 4 Old 09-12-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atobols View Post
Her best guess was a benign tumor of some sort. The first vet to look at him (a year and a half ago) checked for any foreign material and infection and couldn't find anything. He said that he could cut into it and see if there was anything, but he didn't think it was worth it. It was only slightly swollen then and went back to normal size every other day or so.

It's never normal size anymore, but there are some days it's more swollen than others. It's more like golf ball for a week and then plum for a week.

More information: There is no oozing, bad smell, it's not abnormally warm, it looks perfectly normal other than being 5 times the size it should be.
Maybe we can wait for the dog experts to chip in, I'm one of the cat people here so this might be out of my area. They might have heard of something like this before. If it was a tumor though it doesn't make sense to me that it would differ in it's size.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page