Acne soaps...ok or no? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 10 Old 02-03-2006, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had HORRIBLE acne when I was pregnant with dd and it was just starting to clear up when I found out I was pregnant again. My skin gets completely out of control when using anything but acne soap (not prescription...things like clearasil or st. ives medicated). I've switched to tea tree oil soap since there seems to be some discrepancies about whether or not acne soaps are ok to use during pregnancy, but I wanted to see a) what you guys had heard about soaps containing benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid (I heard one was bad, the other ok?) and b) if you're not using soaps with those things, do you have any tips or soaps that have worked for you? I drink a ton of water, try to eat my vegetables and all that good stuff, but ohhhhhh the zits!!! This is nature's revenge since I didn't have any in highschool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 02-03-2006, 07:31 PM

Hi, when I was preg both times the last in september, i used clean and clear.
Most acne stuff does nothing unless it a percription, acne is natural and there is really nothing you can do for it. Have you asked you doc, i think if it was not safe to use while preg it would say so on the bottle, just as cold medications do. Good luck.
ilovemy2ds
#3 of 10 Old 02-04-2006, 01:43 AM

You can use them. The caution is only against spot treatments.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#4 of 10 Old 02-04-2006, 03:15 PM

I had a problem with pg acne and just started using purpose cleanser and purpose moisturizer every day, and letting my skin "breathe"- no make up- especially not concealer or foundation, they only make it worse. Now my skin is pretty clear. Don't forget to moisturize, it balances out your natural oils, and don't overwash- just once a day is fine. Harsh chemicals and too many essential oils can compound the problem as well. I strongly suggest using a fragrance free, oil free, chemical free wash and cleanser.

Good luck!
#5 of 10 Old 02-05-2006, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3_angels
I had a problem with pg acne and just started using purpose cleanser and purpose moisturizer every day, and letting my skin "breathe"- no make up- especially not concealer or foundation, they only make it worse. Now my skin is pretty clear. Don't forget to moisturize, it balances out your natural oils, and don't overwash- just once a day is fine. Harsh chemicals and too many essential oils can compound the problem as well. I strongly suggest using a fragrance free, oil free, chemical free wash and cleanser.

Good luck!
Thanks for the tip...I may just try purpose...I'm getting desperate here One or two spots wouldn't be bad, but this is mayhem!
#6 of 10 Old 02-05-2006, 04:46 PM

I definately wouldn't use the on-the-spot acne zit creme. I use a very gentle dry bamboo cleanser (Paula Dorf, expensive, but has lasted for 1.5 yrs) a couple of times a week. Then I use Cetaphil, or just a plain washcloth with water, or nothing.

Make sure you change your pillowcases every 3-4 days or so. It may help.
#7 of 10 Old 02-07-2006, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

I've never really used that on the spot stuff, just the soap. It's something about pregnancy hormones, just makes my poor skin go nuts. Maybe it's not used to me eating right and drink tons of water
#8 of 10 Old 02-07-2006, 01:55 PM

You know, I used to be a Retin-A girl, but as soon as I got pregnant and quit it, my skin just went wonky. And we're not supposed to use any retinols, salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide. I tried glycolic acid for a while, but it always comes packed in with petrolatum, and it just gave me whiteheads. I got so sick of reading ingredients with parabens, sulfates and long, creepy chemical names that I just. gave. up.

Yup, I quit using products. I'm now just using warm water with a spritz of hydrosol afterwards. And once a week i'll do a mask with french clay. And I haven't had a single zit since I started this routine! I've also ordered some organic rosehip oil, which i've heard is excellent for pregnant faces.

I also decided to order some pure mineral makeup, which is great for pregnant and sensitive skin, since it doesn't contain talc, chemicals, etc. This stuff is wonderful! Goes on like a breeze, blends my icky skin and smells and feels delightful. I don't ever plan on going back to non-mineral makeup. When they say, "Mineral makeup is so pure you can sleep in it," they mean it.

If you're interested in trying this super-natural route, I would recommend the following websites:
www.darkswan.com for hydrosols (and amazing soaps!)
www.mountainroseherbs.com for clays, rosehip oil, other oils and hydrosols
www.alimacosmetics.com for great mineral makeup and customer service

Good luck! Pregnancy is sure doing a number on my skin and hair, but today is the prettiest i've felt since November.
#9 of 10 Old 02-09-2006, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpiedee
You know, I used to be a Retin-A girl, but as soon as I got pregnant and quit it, my skin just went wonky. And we're not supposed to use any retinols, salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide. I tried glycolic acid for a while, but it always comes packed in with petrolatum, and it just gave me whiteheads. I got so sick of reading ingredients with parabens, sulfates and long, creepy chemical names that I just. gave. up.

Yup, I quit using products. I'm now just using warm water with a spritz of hydrosol afterwards. And once a week i'll do a mask with french clay. And I haven't had a single zit since I started this routine! I've also ordered some organic rosehip oil, which i've heard is excellent for pregnant faces.

I also decided to order some pure mineral makeup, which is great for pregnant and sensitive skin, since it doesn't contain talc, chemicals, etc. This stuff is wonderful! Goes on like a breeze, blends my icky skin and smells and feels delightful. I don't ever plan on going back to non-mineral makeup. When they say, "Mineral makeup is so pure you can sleep in it," they mean it.

If you're interested in trying this super-natural route, I would recommend the following websites:
www.darkswan.com for hydrosols (and amazing soaps!)
www.mountainroseherbs.com for clays, rosehip oil, other oils and hydrosols
www.alimacosmetics.com for great mineral makeup and customer service

Good luck! Pregnancy is sure doing a number on my skin and hair, but today is the prettiest i've felt since November.
Thanks for the tips!!! I'm still waiting for that glow and wonderful pregnant hair that I heard so much about in my first pregnancy to make an appearance
#10 of 10 Old 02-11-2017, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Salicylic acid is ok, it is an obligatory component of every anti-acne cosmetics. But I tend to think that during pregnancy it is nothing but hormones, at least I experienced just the same. Here is some useful info on this topic Healthyskinadviser.com .

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page