Having trouble finding maternity clothes! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 15 Old 03-15-2006, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't remember it being so hard last time. I'm short and petite (5'2) and I can't find anything to fit me! Do clothing makers just think people my size don't get pregnant? Or maybe we just don't get bellies big enough to need maternity clothes? The smallest (Size Small) pants I've found are too big. I can't button my regular pants anymore so I need to find something soon.

I guess I just won't wear pants.

Anyone have this problem? Know of any stores that have affordable maternity clothes for little people? I really can't spend a lot of money right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 03-15-2006, 09:55 PM

Oh my goodness...welcome to my current life!

I have been going so crazy over this issue. I'm 5'4'' but very slim. My XS's from Old Navy are starting to get tight (in the butt and legs) so I moved up to smalls. But boy! The smalls are at least 4 times bigger than the XS's. And LOOOOONNNGG! The two small jeans I bought fall right off of me!

So I can't wear XS's anymore, but can't yet wear the smalls. My regular clothes are too tight now.

Aaahhhhhh! What do we do? I would check out Old Navy. I bought some stuff online. The Gap is ridiculously expensive, but I think carry short pants.

If you find any solution...let me know! Good luck

Mama to DD 06' Partner to Sasa
#3 of 15 Old 03-15-2006, 10:17 PM

Maybe you could post an ISO (in search of) on the Trading Post here?

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)

#4 of 15 Old 03-15-2006, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2be
Oh my goodness...welcome to my current life!

I have been going so crazy over this issue. I'm 5'4'' but very slim. My XS's from Old Navy are starting to get tight (in the butt and legs) so I moved up to smalls. But boy! The smalls are at least 4 times bigger than the XS's. And LOOOOONNNGG! The two small jeans I bought fall right off of me!

So I can't wear XS's anymore, but can't yet wear the smalls. My regular clothes are too tight now.

Aaahhhhhh! What do we do? I would check out Old Navy. I bought some stuff online. The Gap is ridiculously expensive, but I think carry short pants.

If you find any solution...let me know! Good luck
I've heard good things about Old Navy. They didn't have a store when I was pregnant las time. I'll check to see if they've come here yet.
#5 of 15 Old 03-15-2006, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBirthMommy
Maybe you could post an ISO (in search of) on the Trading Post here?
Good thinking! I've never been there. Guess I finally have a reason to check it out.
#6 of 15 Old 03-15-2006, 11:12 PM

I have had hit or miss luck finding things at resale and thrift stores like st. Vincent's.
They are pretty big around this area.

I also am short (ahem, petite ) and have trouble finding clothes that fit! It seems only the expensive stuff fits best. I am 5'1. I am 12 weeks, and have lost, not gained due to MS, so all my clothes still fit.

That will change shortly. Anyway, go used if you can!

V
#7 of 15 Old 03-15-2006, 11:48 PM

hi ladies! I am ridiculously petite (under 5 feet) and have only had luck shopping at GAP for maternity clothes. Old Navy clothes never did fit with my first pregnancy. I hate shopping at GAP, but i ran out of options. It is easy to shop online because you can chose your pre-pregnancy size (they start at 0 ankle and xxs). I love their maternity clothes, because they are sooo comfortable and fit so well. However, cost is an issue :-( ....but ebay always has listings for GAP maternity clothes. I have found this to be a great place to find stuff this pregnancy...

Good Luck!
#8 of 15 Old 03-16-2006, 06:45 AM

I'm also very petite. 5' or so and about 100lbs soaking wet when I'm not pregnant. It's VERY hard to find maternity that fits size 3 and under.

Old Navy, Japanese weekend... I got some thrift, some on a swap. I've never bought new. I'm NOT going to pay $98 for a pair of pants.

I go to thrift stores because you're more likely to find stuff that shrunk in someone's dryer.
Then I got a HUGE score of XXS stuff on Ebay for $50! I highly recommend Ebay.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#9 of 15 Old 03-16-2006, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm 5' 0 too and I always have trouble with trousers anyway.

I can sew and often sew my own trousers or hem formal trousers to fit but with denim or thick cotton I just cut them to length and let them fray in the first wash then trim the loose ends off.

If its just the length could yo try this? Or do you have a friend who sews? I love jumble sales and thrift (we call them charity) shops so if you have to cut anything up - like chop the sleeves a bit(!) its ok.
#10 of 15 Old 03-16-2006, 02:44 PM

Last pregnancy I couldnt find ANY maternty clothes that fit. I am 5'9" and 120 with very long legs so all the small sized maternity pants fit me in the waist, but are all 4-6 inches too short in the leg. The mediums are way too big in the waist so I just had to wear regular old drawstring pants for the last few months.
At least you short ladies can hem your pants!!!
#11 of 15 Old 03-16-2006, 04:40 PM

Andrea-I'm exactly the same height/weight as you and I'm frustrated. I did get a pair of 'long' size 4 pants through ebay that are Gap brand that are ok..they are still kind of big in the butt-but mine is growing so maybe I'll fill it out in a month or so. I can't find a size 3/long which would be perfect; especially if there were LEVIS...I would be in heaven.
#12 of 15 Old 03-16-2006, 07:23 PM

I was so going to post the same thing today. Well...except in reverse sort of I am short 5"3', but I am usually a XL however I am finding that XL maternity clothes are too small so I am having to look for 1X clothes Which is next to impossible. I even posted a ISO on the trading post & got no response. I am searching Ebay, but I hate buying clothes there. The descriptions are never very good. GRRRR!!! Why does this have to be so hard. There are millions of preg women on this planet, what the hell are they wearing!!! : And even more, where are they getting it?

I even went to a local dept store today that 2 months ago had maternity clothes & found out that they no longer carry them because they weren't selling. That is crazy too me!!! Maternity clothes are so hard to find in any size I can't believe they weren't selling.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#13 of 15 Old 03-16-2006, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl
There are millions of preg women on this planet, what the hell are they wearing!!! : And even more, where are they getting it?
Mmm lots of places they are wearing loose fabrics or big dresses I think. Thousands of women have probably been out today to buy new sari fabric or are just wrapping their usual clothes differently.

Maybe we are barking up the wrong tree trying to find 'ordinary looking' maternity clothes?
#14 of 15 Old 03-19-2006, 12:28 AM

I'm also 5'2" and small (about 100 prepregnancy).

I haven't been able to button my regular pants for quite some time, though!

I'm mostly wearing non-maternity pants that have some give. Yoga pants out of the house, sweats if I'm not going out. :

I've had some luck at Old Navy. I got three pairs of pants when they were having 50% off clearance a month or two ago. One is twill & fits great, is only a little long. One is khakis and they're too long...I'm going to have to hem them. The last is a pair of jeans & they are pretty big all around. I don't think I'll hem them, just turn the cuffs up, but they won't fit until I get bigger (which will happen soon enough!).

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#15 of 15 Old 03-19-2006, 03:10 AM

Old Navy doesn't have maternity at every (most) store, but they have a good selection online with $5 shipping, no matter the size of the order. Several styles of pants come in short/regular/long. The return policy seems easy enough, you mail it back or go to the store, but I haven't had to use that yet.

The yoga pants on clearance are oh-so-comfy at the waist, but the legs are about a foot too long on me, and I'm 5'3"! Easy enough to cuff or hem, though.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page