vaccines - Mothering Forums

#1 of 21 Old 12-08-2006, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If I were to go by the recommended schedule my baby would have his first shots next week. I'm not of the school of thought that is against vaccines altogether, but I would like to delay them. I'm just not sure how much I would like to delay them. Does anyone have experience delaying the vaccine schedule or can anyone point me to some research or information about delaying vaccines?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 12-08-2006, 01:53 AM

Not in your group, but saw your post- come over to the vaccination forum for tons of info!

-Angela
#3 of 21 Old 12-08-2006, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, wow, thanks for pointing out that forum! What a wealth of info!

#4 of 21 Old 12-10-2006, 10:53 PM

If your intuitive sense is telling you to delay, I cannot urge you strongly enough to follow that and research. Read and know exactly what is contained in the vaccines (and how they affect the body) before you authorize vaccines for your baby. This is an area where you really need to make a truly informed consent.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#5 of 21 Old 12-11-2006, 03:56 AM

I've never been one to worry about having my children vaccinated, my older two had no problems other than maybe a fever immediately following their vax. Little Isaac however has made me a little concerned, he had his first round of needles last Thurs and he cried inconsolabley for 4 days (on and off of course) and just wasn't himself. He had no fever but was impossible to settle, thank God he's back to his normal self today.

I gather this is worth mentioning to his doctor but I'm starting to wonder if I should space him out in future... what do you think?
#6 of 21 Old 12-11-2006, 01:05 PM

Come over to the vaccination forum.

Personally, we don't vaccinate at all- they're not worth the risks for us.

-Angela
#7 of 21 Old 12-11-2006, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2b3 View Post
I've never been one to worry about having my children vaccinated, my older two had no problems other than maybe a fever immediately following their vax. Little Isaac however has made me a little concerned, he had his first round of needles last Thurs and he cried inconsolabley for 4 days (on and off of course) and just wasn't himself. He had no fever but was impossible to settle, thank God he's back to his normal self today.

I gather this is worth mentioning to his doctor but I'm starting to wonder if I should space him out in future... what do you think?
This is a sincere reaction to the shots. Let it give you pause for next time.

Your doc might just blow the reaction off, but I urge you not to.
#8 of 21 Old 12-11-2006, 01:53 PM

I'd research vaccine induced encephalopathy and other vaccine reactions. Please go to the Vaccination forum here and read. Read the archives, read some threads, ask questions. Become fully informed so you can make an educated choice about vaccination.

#9 of 21 Old 12-11-2006, 08:03 PM

Soon--please make sure you tell your doc about the reaction and if he/she will not report it to VAERS do it yourself. Inconsolable crying on and off is a reaction. It's possible that the next reaction would be worse.

I encourage you to begin researching and not stop until you feel comfortable with a decision to either continue vaccinating, continue on a delayed schedule, or stop altogether.

For original poster--your mama's intuition is kicking in. Listen to it and learn all you can!
#10 of 21 Old 12-12-2006, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the support. We have a great easy going pediatrician who had no problem putting off shots at today's appointment and answering some questions instead. I think I'll have a better idea of what I'm comfortable with at the 4 month visit!
#11 of 21 Old 12-19-2006, 09:42 PM

I just wanted to bump this thread and see what other October mamas are doing in terms of vaxes. I have been over to the vax forum a lot these days and am swimming in information (and worry) again. I went through all this before when DD was very little and now I am at it again. DD was very selectively vaxed and so far DS hasn't received anything, but his 2 month appointment is on Thursday (where he will most likely be receiving one DTaP shot only). I really hate this part of parenting -- making these vaccination decisions. DS has really sick for with respiratory thing so early in life, whereas DD never was. I'm not sure how that affects my decision-making process. Does this mean he is more prone to other diseases or does it mean that it is even more important that I don't vax him? I just can't figure it out. What are y'all doing?

Amazing Mama Birth Services
CD(DONA) and Birthing From Within Mentor and Birth Doula
#12 of 21 Old 12-19-2006, 11:07 PM

AFter years of vaccine research, I have decided not to vaccinate my children. There is currently not a disease or a situation that has occured or that I can foresee occuring that will lead me to change my position. My learning about the immune system and vaccines is an ongoing process. I can say that the more I research, the more solid I become in my non vaxing stance.

If my child appeared to have a tendency to illness, I would certainly NOT vaccinate.

If you are even remotely on the fence about vaccination, I urge you to be absolutely solid before you make the choice to do something you cannot undo. You can always authorize a vaccination at a later date.

#13 of 21 Old 12-20-2006, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppyFluffer View Post
If my child appeared to have a tendency to illness, I would certainly NOT vaccinate. AFter years of vaccine research, I have decided not to vaccinate my children. There is currently not a disease or a situation that has occured or that I can foresee occuring that will lead me to change my position. My learning about the immune system and vaccines is an ongoing process. I can say that the more I research, the more solid I become in my non vaxing stance.

If you are even remotely on the fence about vaccination, I urge you to be absolutely solid before you make the choice to do something you cannot undo. You can always authorize a vaccination at a later date.

I was unsure at DD1's 2 month appointment (the last WBV we have ever done) and allowed myself to be bullied into giving her vaxs then. She had a vax reaction, fortunately it was a mild one. She will never receive another vax, none of my dc will. DH's family has a history of vax reactions, health issues, and some disorders on the autism spectrum. I feel never forgive myself for going against my instinct. I've done my research, I'm still learning, I don't think that I will ever learn everything there is to know about the subject, but my mind is made up. Even my family's recent and still ongoing battle with pertussis has not made a dent in my decision, I still fear the vaxs far more then the disease.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#14 of 21 Old 12-20-2006, 05:51 PM

Thanks PuppyFluffer and Peony for your responses. I value what you both have to say. Alos, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond, Peony, with all you have going on right now, and I value your personal experience at this time dealing with a purported "vaccine-preventable" disease. I will continue to research, but DS has his appointment tomorrow and he won't be receiving anything at this point I have decided. He is still somewhat sick from his recent, on-going cold (3 weeks now) so I think that should be a good enough reason alone IMO. This is the same Ped we have been seeing with DD for over two years now and he knows she is very selectively vaxed so hopefully he won't give me too much trouble. I REALLY like him otherwise and don't want to get into a heated debate or have any conflict. But if that what it takes, then so be it. I, too, hate feeling like I've been pushed into something I don't want to do when it comes to my children. I already feel bad enough about letting them give DS steriods the night when we were in the ER. Our Ped said the ER doc shouldn't have done that, but at the time I was so tired and alone and worried -- they convinced me to do it, but it probably really wasn't necessary.

Amazing Mama Birth Services
CD(DONA) and Birthing From Within Mentor and Birth Doula
#15 of 21 Old 01-02-2007, 04:16 AM

#16 of 21 Old 01-02-2007, 03:30 PM

We cleared teh 2 month WBV with no vaxes and have a 4mo WBV in Feb scheduled. I will go and also not vax, but go simply for teh weight and length check as well as to answer osme questions I have abotu my other children... not sure we'll do teh 6mo WBV or not.. if i have concerns then I'll go . If not, We'll skip. I have questions about some diseases and vax, but i'm nbot asking teh DR for advice.. i'll stick to the vax forum adn research on my own.
#17 of 21 Old 01-03-2007, 05:10 PM

My daughter got all her shots yesterday at the two month appointment.

DD (2006) and DD (2009) and pos.gif
#18 of 21 Old 01-08-2007, 11:52 PM

Neither of my kids have vaxes, and won't ever. Too dangerous, and quite frankly the "dangerous" diseases they 'prevent' aren't that dangerous, nor likely. We have good hygiene now, eat better food, and that makes a huge difference in our public health and our ability to fight off anything we get.

I was partially vaxed as a child, my rounds were stopped after severe vaccine reactions and I grew up being anti-vax.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#19 of 21 Old 01-17-2007, 01:54 AM

I highly recommend checking out Dr Sherri Tenpenny's video, Vaccines: The Risks, The Benefits, The Choices. You can buy a copy or watch it here:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...cination&hl=en

She's very good at clearly explaining things, and very well-informed with references (usually from the CDC or the journal Vaccine, etc) backing everything up.

And I definitely agree with pretty much all the other posters... if you're feeling like you should delay, follow your gut and read, read, read; ditto too that there are no diseases that seem worth the risk!

Heidi
#20 of 21 Old 01-23-2007, 05:08 PM

We didn't vax at the 2 mo WBV, but dh wants to vax. I'm unsure. The point that dh makes about DTaP and...the one for pertussis...is that ds is in childwatch at the YMCA for one hour, twice a week, while I'm teaching class. I'm just overwhelmed by all the info...don't even know what questions to ask. However, dh has respected the fact that I feel strongly about researching what we're injecting into ds. Funny b/c he refuses to get a flu shot but thinks we need to vax ds. Ugh. What's also odd is that I had to sign a waiver that said I wouldn't sue the doctor if my unvaxed kid got sick, but I doubt he'd sign a waiver saying he takes full responsiblity for any reactions from the vax he is pushing.
#21 of 21 Old 01-26-2007, 12:46 PM

~nak

r canadian vaxes the same? does nyone know?

i vaxed both ds's and so far havent seen ne reactions from either
after some lengthy discussions w/ my dr I decided to vax -under no pressure at all, mine & dh's personal choice

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page