"kids, parents, and power struggles" - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 02-07-2009, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka-- I'm only about 80 pages into this book, but I have to say that I LOVE it!! Has anyone else read it? My dd is 3, and a lot of the things in this book are really striking a chord with me-- just how much of our interactions are within my control. It just makes a lot of sense to me and she really has a good grip on the kind of parnet that I want to be. (I'm also excited because my dh has said that when I find a discipline book that I really like, he'll actually make a point to read it-- so I'm really hoping that this will help solidyf for both of us how we want to deal with issues as they come up)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 02-07-2009, 09:21 PM

I love that book as well and reread it occasionally as a refresher. I recommend it to everyone! It really helps defuse situations that are potential problems if you just take a moment and try and see how your child is feeling. I'm glad you are enjoying it!

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 20
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, DSD 17
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, DSD 16
, DSS 14
, heart hero DD 4
and DS due 6/2015
8/2010
#3 of 5 Old 02-07-2009, 09:56 PM

I'm reading this now. I'm probably only as far as you are into it, if that. Right before it, I read Unconditional Parenting by Alfie Kohn and I had planned to start over with that immediately because I enjoyed it so much. I'm glad I didn't. I'm really enjoying Kurcinka's book (I loved her spirited child one too).

On finishing this one, I plan to read Kohn's book again followed by this one again just to pick up anything that I may have missed the first time around.

Peggy: full-time shift-working mama to Kiddo (Nov|04) and Babygirl (May|11). Fiancée to Babe. Step-mom to Tween, my bonus daughter (Sep|00). Currently TTC - http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3c1739

#4 of 5 Old 02-07-2009, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

I just feel like it's such a balanced, kind, genuine sort of way. I read Unconditional Parenting when my dd was a babe (so 2+ years ago) and it resonated with me, but also seemed kind of extreme, I guess. I also recently read some chapters out of Dr Sears Discipline Book and was suprised at how mainstream it was-- I felt like some of his methods were more about managing the child (which I can see might be necessary in a very large family like his) I'm finding that Kurcinka is a really good balance, and one that my dh and I might be able to really agree upon. I've tried to be more concsientious of some things just this evening and have been amazed at how my dd has responded!
#5 of 5 Old 02-07-2009, 11:03 PM

I've been meaning to read this one - thanks for the reminder! I just checked, my library has it, I will try to pick it up tomorrow.

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page