3.5 year old became violent after being around violent friend, help! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 03-03-2009, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another mom and I were trading childcare for several weeks. Her son and my daughter are both nearly 3.5. He turned out to be extremely violent(hitting, biting, throwing, etc.) towards my daughter and me, and pretty much all the time(they were spending up to 10 hours a day together). I finally ended the childcare swap 2 weeks ago when it was clear that it wasn't working out. During the time they were together, my daughter adopted some of his aggressive behaviors and has been scratching her other friends, and me, as soon as she gets frustrated. She often goes for the face, and almost every time she's with her friends one of them ends up with a bloody scratch on the face. I'm at my wits' end with how to deal with this. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 03-04-2009, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter

bump
#3 of 3 Old 03-04-2009, 03:34 AM

RockStarMom,
That sounds really hard to deal with. I really have no advice to offer you, just wanted to send ((hugs)) and hope someone else will come by with some suggestions.

Have you had a chance to talk to your dd when times are calmer? I'm sure it was hard for her to deal with when you were not there and perhaps she's just panicking that things will escalate and 'protecting' herself. She might need to have some help recognizing how she's feeling and then what other things she can do, instead of scratching.

Everyone always suggests to me that role playing past situations together and role playing/modelling new ones would help. I always have a hard time doing that.

Take care,

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page