"Mom, Jason's breathing on me" fans...a question about baby on the move - Mothering Forums

#1 of 2 Old 03-15-2010, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anyone who likes or uses this technique with siblings. I have read part of the book and am planning to reread soon (just bought it). I want to use it with our kids because it makes sense to me.

One question though....how do you implement this when you have one older child (4) and one who is still only just a baby (10 months)?

Ds1 is starting to get annoyed of ds2 because he is mobile and getting into all the things he's doing etc. I'm already getting a lot of "Mom, ds2 is doing such and such". I want to nip this in the bud, but how do you do this with a younger child in the equation.

I seem to remember most examples from the book being about two older kids who could both talk and work things out for themselves.

So far I have told ds2 he has two options: play on the floor and try to give ds2 something else to hold....or get up somewhere high where he can play by himself (or another room and shut the door)

Any suggestions. There isn't much peace in the house these days.

TIA!

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 03-16-2010, 04:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I don't think you can implement the suggestions in the book until both kids are quite verbal. So, I didn't even try until our kids were 4 and 7.

For many siblings, the most intense time for the first real sibling rivalry is right around when the baby starts to move and get into their stuff. Before that they were just a blob who took mom/dad's time. Now they take mom/dad's time and they're in the way!

Is there a place (on the floor) that you can block off so your older child can play?

The other thing I'd suggest is treating this like tattling: Is he telling you this to get his brother into trouble or to keep him safe? "Mom, he's wrecking my tower" "Oh, what can you do about that?" or "Do you need some help?" It takes about a gazillion repetitions, but it does eventually get better.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page