Am I doing this right? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 2 Old 07-31-2010, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD is 15 mo so I know our playdates are much more for my socialization than for hers. When she tends to interact with other little ones, I tend to step back and let them do their own thing. I keep an I out for dangerous play but otherwise I'm pretty relaxed.

When over at the playdate we just went to my DD found herself being knocked over and pushed a bit. She responded very clearly saying "NO!" to her playmate and then going about her business. I don't think the boy was trying to hurt her, more like trying to use her to stand up. I figured since DD spoke up for herself there was no need for me to intervene aside from when she fell down one time and started crying. I scooped her up then and hugged her, as she told the boy "No no no" over my shoulder.
My friend kept having to get up and tell her son "no hitting" "That's not how we treat guests"

When I came home I wondered if I was causing too much work for my friend by not stepping in, especially when I was closer to the pair of kids. I started wondering if I was doing best by DD by having her handle the situation. It's my first time really dealing with Gentle Discipline involving others. Am I acting too hands off? Should I have done or said more?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 07-31-2010, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i think your response was perfect! IMO it's best to intervene as little as possible ( as long as no one is being seriously hurt). i think it's great your daughter knows how to say "no!"

ds 3/06 familybed1.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page