Adult stepchild moved back home - Mothering Forums

2Likes
  • 2 Post By lauren

#1 of 2 Old 06-02-2018, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Adult stepchild moved back home

My stepson moved back home a few months ago and it’s causing chaos in my home. He is lazy and doesn’t ever help out but his dad does not want to kick him out. I have 3 other children at home ages 7,9, and 10 and lately the stepson has been trying to discipline them. At first it was time outs when they were fighting which was okay with me but now it seems as though he is taking out his frustration on my youngest daughter and wants to put her in time out and take things away from her when she gets on his nerves or does things as simple as talk too loud. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on adult children disciplining younger children before I talk to him and my husband. I wanted to make sure I wasn’t letting my own frustration with the stepson cloud my judgement on what to do. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 06-03-2018, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
In my opinion only parents should discipline children, unless you have asked them to be in a caregiving role. This would be your husband's responsibility to talk with him and let him know this is inappropriate. He is their brother. Most likely he has some opinions about how the two of you, and most likely you, are handling things, and has decided to express it this way. Do you guys have family meetings? I would stop this and if things are not going well in terms of setting limits with the younger kids, get some help for that as soon as you can.
katelove and oldsmom like this.

Here from the very beginning of Mothering online forums. Proud to say gentle parenting works; the kids are grown or nearly so.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

User Agreement--
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page