My son started lately to play World of warcraft a lot - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 10-27-2020, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
My son started lately to play World of warcraft a lot

I don't want him to be addicted to the virtual world, I've heard a lot of stories that children that were playing video games, got addicted to them. Son of a friend of mine, can't believe that people are bleeding, why they aren't recovering where is the healing.
I am afraid that my son will be the same. I want him to start reading books.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 10-27-2020, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How old is your son? If he is underage then I would suggest you create parental control on his device from which he is playing world of warcraft. Do not worry and try to not force him aggressively as it will result in bad circumstances for you and your son. Anyways, the best solution will be to talk to a therapist, but you both need to attend as all problems that children have come from the family.
#3 of 6 Old 10-27-2020, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
He is 7yo, and he is very addicted to that game, it makes me happy that he found smth he likes, but not video games for sure. I was thinking the same way, to go to the therapist, but don't wanna pay money in vain, what is the chance that he will help us. He is only 7yo, he won't pay attention to that.

#4 of 6 Old 10-27-2020, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That is interesting, I did not know that there are children playing WoW at this young age. Then you should probably talk to him and make some priorities in your family. A game should be an award for something good he is doing in the family. But do not force it immediately try to add this to your family gently day by day. One day ask him to tidy up his bedroom another day ask him to read a book or help you in the house with laundry. Hope everything will turn well with your child.
#5 of 6 Old 10-27-2020, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Both of my sons went through a phase of playing long hours of sometimes violent video games. We didn’t forbid them, since we knew they’d always be able to go to a friend’s house or secretly do it on their phones. Except that a couple of ultra-violent ones, like Grand Theft Auto, I said “no” to. But we didn’t relent on other requirements like doing homework on time, doing chores, keeping rooms and themselves at least relatively clean, getting good grades, not getting in trouble, no drugs or alcohol, being polite, etc. And they weren’t hanging out with questionable friends, or otherwise getting in any trouble. I believed that video games, even violent ones, were now just a part of our society and we're not going to go away. My kids would just have to figure out how to manage their other responsibilities alongside and hopefully be able to realize the difference between fantasy and reality. And of course, we did our best to instill good values and set good examples.
It worked. After an initial period of obsession, they got bored with them, the video games became an occasional activity, and eventually, they died out altogether in favor of sports and other social activities. Now and then, they’ll play a video game, but it’s rare.
#6 of 6 Old 10-27-2020, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
There is nothing wrong with that and you can rest assured that everything will be good. I will agree with users from above that if you will stop restricting playing the games then he will lose interest in the games at about 10-13 years old. Just do not be aggressive with him and leave him doing what he is doing, just do not forget him to teach to do some stuff at home and ask him how he is performing at school as well. I am playing world of warcraft since I was 10 with classic wow boosts account. My parents never restricted access to the computer and I lost interest in the games when I was 14 and started to spend time with my friends.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page