Gentle Discipline v Positive Discipline? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 11 Old 09-21-2005, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Is there a difference? My mom's group has been reading "positive discipline" -- and I, perhaps naively thought it was the same as GD? Is PD = GD? If not, what are the major philosophical differences?

TripMom . . . . . loving mom : to DS (12) and BBG (10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 09-21-2005, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I dunno, I myself have always used them pretty interchangeably.
#3 of 11 Old 09-21-2005, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
dunno!!! but i cant see how they would be different. i cant see how parts of GD could be negative discipline kwim?!! like joline said they could be used interchangeably. i guess attachment/NL parents use GD more and regular use PD more often. legally courts use 'positive discipline'.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 

#4 of 11 Old 09-22-2005, 02:48 AM

Yeah, I believe "Positive Discipline" is trademarked by Jane Nelsen.

Mommy to kids

#5 of 11 Old 09-22-2005, 09:22 AM

i remember from another discussion that the 'positive discipline' books were not AP and were against bed haring, breastfeeding beyond infancy. but i might be wrong. never read them myself.
#6 of 11 Old 09-22-2005, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana
i remember from another discussion that the 'positive discipline' books were not AP and were against bed haring, breastfeeding beyond infancy. but i might be wrong. never read them myself.
hm...i don't remember reading that...but it's been a while. i can look in the book in a minute and post more.
#7 of 11 Old 09-22-2005, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana
since sarah mentioned an author i borrowed the book from my dd's ps library. and the first thing i opened said that holding 0 - 3 months continuously spoils a baby. you pick them up when they cry and then put them down and try to distract them. they illustrated a mother who would do EVERYTHING with the baby and after a couple of months she could not put him down and had to sleep with him. that they called spoiling.

i read the section on cosleeping. while they talk about what parents feel and present equal words on for and against cosleeping, they go on to write paragraphs and illustrations from Adler against cosleeping. but they do say do what's best for ur family.

i glanced thru the book while on teh bus to work so havent read it in detail but so far jane nelsen's advice seems not v. AP to me. it seems to do better with toddlers than infants. it also seems to imply parents have power and should use it.

they definitely come out strongly against spanking or any harsh words too. i will post more when i read more.

but yes non AP is the impression i got

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#8 of 11 Old 09-22-2005, 03:39 PM

WEll I have never read Jane Nelson, I have a book on "Positive Discipline" by Carl E. Pickhardt Ph.D and it is nothing like that.
I think just like GD it is defined by the author differently in each book.
This is a very "mainstream" book on Positive Discipline too.
After All it is "The Everything Parents Guide to Positive DIscipline"
I was really excited to see positive discipline a topic in one of those cheesy mass marketed "Everythign" books.
For me it was a good sign that the message was "getting out"
I really enjoy it.
It has this really great formula Discipline = 90% instruction + 10% correction. And that to reverse those percentages and a child's behavior usually gets worse and not better.
And that children are more likely to voluntarily cooperate with a parent when they have a more rewarding relationship.
There is not a thing about baby holding or cosleeping or breastfeeding.
Not a bad starter book. Not particularly heavy on philosophy just practical and down to earth.
Joline
#9 of 11 Old 09-22-2005, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee
since sarah mentioned an author i borrowed the book from my dd's ps library. and the first thing i opened said that holding 0 - 3 months continuously spoils a baby. you pick them up when they cry and then put them down and try to distract them. they illustrated a mother who would do EVERYTHING with the baby and after a couple of months she could not put him down and had to sleep with him. that they called spoiling.
How can there be a book on "discipline" for "infants"??? :

I'm reading the Jane Nelson book - it deals with preschoolers really. I've not noticed any anti-cosleeping, etc. info in it. But I am usually half-aslep while i'm reading it too. I'd be surprised as the mother in our moms group that started the study group on the book is very AP.

TripMom . . . . . loving mom : to DS (12) and BBG (10)
#10 of 11 Old 09-22-2005, 07:31 PM

I think the original "Positive Discipline" by Jane Nelsen is definitely GD, though I couldn't say whether or not it was AP. It's geared more for older kids and for classrooms, though. I also checked out "Positive Discipline -- 0 - 3 years" (I think that's the title) which is also by her and some other people, and wasn't too excited about it. I haven't read "Positive Discipline for Preschoolers" but I would highly recommend the original "Positive Discipline" written in the '70s.

Mommy to kids

#11 of 11 Old 09-22-2005, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The one for 0 to 3 is anti extended breastfeeding and anti cosleeping, and very concerned about stopping infants from manipulating and exerting control over infants and very young children. It is defintely not AP.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page