having a hard time - Mothering Forums

#1 of 10 Old 01-26-2007, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
for about two weeks now i have been feeling a little grumpy (i think pms maybe) and sometimes i can't hide my annoyance towards my 2.5 and 14 month old dd's, i've been snappier and nagging a little more, and I think i need some tips, i hate feeling like this dd 2 is climbing on everything like the couch and trying to jump off, and when i take her away she screams bloody murder, and throws huge tantrums when i take anything away. dd1 has been clawing her sister in the face when she's mad at her, and pushing her. I really want to keep my cool, and ideas!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 01-26-2007, 01:54 AM

I've recently realized that when I'm frustrated, it helps if I reconnect with ds- get a hug, read a book, just anything we can do together that's calm and cuddly.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#3 of 10 Old 01-26-2007, 02:19 AM

I'm sorry you are having a hard time. Can you get outside with them so they can run around and expend some of that amazing energy? I know my ds will take all of this that I can give him, and if I can't, I try to set him up with someone who can. I know I feel better when I get some exercize.

#4 of 10 Old 01-26-2007, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolywahm View Post
I'm sorry you are having a hard time. Can you get outside with them so they can run around and expend some of that amazing energy? I know my ds will take all of this that I can give him, and if I can't, I try to set him up with someone who can. I know I feel better when I get some exercize.
i wish!! but temperatures here are about -19 (we live in ontario) and my dd's hate the cold but i manage to take them too large playcentres about 4X a week and let them run out some energy in the grocery store or department store : people look at me like me and the kids are crazy : im hoping the temperatures will go to at least -5 and up so we can do some sledding and have snow play
#5 of 10 Old 01-26-2007, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deva33mommy View Post
I've recently realized that when I'm frustrated, it helps if I reconnect with ds- get a hug, read a book, just anything we can do together that's calm and cuddly.
that sounds like a good idea! thanx!
#6 of 10 Old 01-26-2007, 02:45 AM

when my girl is being squirrely (which is all the time in this yucky weather), we "take a break" and streeeeeeeeeeeeeetch (arms up, arms out, wiggle fingers, wiggle toes) and then SHAKE the grumpies out. sounds pretty dorky but it's more of a distraction than anything else.

we also get out as much as possible. yesterday, we went to the mall and i let her walk/run for two hours. back and forth, back and forth. boring, but it keeps her busy and the baby just sleeps. if she starts running off, i say "hey! come help me push!"
#7 of 10 Old 01-26-2007, 12:31 PM

ahhh the grumpies- I have them too!

I agree with the PP- raffi has that song, I'm going to shake, shake the grumpies out. Shake, shake, shake the grumpies out. Shake, shake, shake the grumpies out, wiggle the waggles away." works almost everytime (when mommy remembers to do it)

I am stuck inside today- we want thrift shop just go get out. it is -9 here.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#8 of 10 Old 01-26-2007, 03:34 PM

Wow, that cold? I thought you were having a tropical winter out there. I like the reply about stretching, that sounds good. If I had a Richard Simmons aerobics video, I bet I could get ds to do that with me. "With me" always seem to be the key words. The play gym sounds like a good time. Do they run around a lot there?
#9 of 10 Old 01-26-2007, 05:09 PM

If they like to jump off the couch, maybe they'd enjoy a little indoor obstacle course. You don't have to put too much prep into it for it to be fun. Some ideas:

- lay a couple belts/ties/playsilks/ropes on the floor; they have to jump over them
- find a big cardboard box and open both ends for them to crawl through (it's even more fun when you lay a lightweight blanket or sheet over the box so they can crawl through a 'curtain')
- put a couple pillows or hand towels on the floor at various intervals; the kids have to jump from one to the other and try not to touch the floor

I have done courses for my kids when the weather was really horrible, and they had such a blast. And it was so much fun for me to watch; it helped get rid of all my Grump.

Also, on the topic of reconnecting...I recently discovered that when my son (age 4) gets grouchy, usually all it takes is five minutes of drawing together before he feels better. We had an extra-long drawing session last night after a big meltdown. Sometimes he doesn't think he wants to participate because he's too grumpy to play or read or draw. In that case, I say, "Okay, I'm going to sit at the coffee table and draw a picture. You're welcome to come over if you want to help." Usually within thirty seconds he's right by my side. This seems to help when he's grumpy AND when I'm grumpy.

Okay one more thing. Sometimes I get in a cruddy mood for no particular reason, and I know the kids have nothing to do with it. I really don't want to take it out on them, but it's hard for me to cover up my mood. So I say, "Grrr. I'm grumpy." This usually opens dialogue and can end in a lot of laughs...sometimes the kids will sing goofy songs, or we'll do roleplaying (i.e. ds might say "and I'm ANGRY! ROARRRRRR!" and dd might say "and I'm sad! wahhhhhhhhh!"). It's a good way to vent, loosen up, and play with the kids all at once.

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#10 of 10 Old 01-27-2007, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter

we were having a pretty warm winter up until about a month ago right now it -23 burrrrrrrr!!, Exercise sounds like a good way to burn some energy up! i try to get the girls dancing but i usually end up dancing and holding two babies at the same time i'm definitely going to try those ideas, and an obstacle course will be great for my dd's they LOVE climbing and jumping. thanks for all the ideas!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page