Isn't this abusive?? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 35 Old 08-16-2007, 02:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami View Post
Am I the only one who wonders if this is how this Mom was "disciplined" as a child... or wonders if she could be in some sort of abusive relationship with her DH? I just find this so out-of-the-norm.... so unfathomable... that those things come to mind. I mean, we've all heard of parents who spank, but I have to say that this is the absolute first time I've heard of this form of discipline. Reminds me of a hazing-technique.
I don't know that it's that far out of the norm, and yes most people who abuse their children have been abused but does that mean it's ok?

When I was in college one of the profs was telling me how her child was acting out and she put a padlock on his bedroom door to keep him in his room... he was 2! I think if we had cameras in the houses of people we would be amazed to see what people do in the "privacy" of their own homes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 35 Old 08-16-2007, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
When I was growing up, my Mother had a friend who made her two children (then about 4 and 6 years old) kneel on hard uncooked rice for hours on end for punishment. A former neighbor of mine picker her two year old up by her ponytail whenever she wasn't paying attention. Also, my son's biological Father thought spanking was the way to go for not being potty trained by two years old. Unfortunately, I think abuse and questionable punishments are much more common than we'd like to believe.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#33 of 35 Old 08-16-2007, 01:33 PM

that just makes me sooo sad. and yes, i agree its abuse.

#34 of 35 Old 08-18-2007, 04:47 PM

That poor baby. Yes it's abuse. I can't imagine who in their right mind could do that to a child!
#35 of 35 Old 08-18-2007, 05:21 PM

I think that's horrifying. OTOH, we live in a country that has for several years now been debating whether water-boarding is torture.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page