How to go from a spanking household to a GD household? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 11-01-2007, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm writing a paper for class on using GD rather than spanking. The area I live in now is extremely pro-spanking, I already polled the class and only one other person feels that spanking is not an acceptable discipline tool. : Many of my classmates are parents and already utilize spanking as a method of discipline, so I need to address how they can achieve a transition to GD - my paper is following a motivated sequence, with this "call to action" belonging in my conclusion. Any ideas, preferably with sources I can use, would be highly appreciated. I'm really hoping I can actually change some minds with this. Heck, even changing one person's mind in the class would thrill me!

Me: married to my :fireman Mama to my littles: Toby 8/04 and Elina 10/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 11-01-2007, 04:51 PM

If you check back just a few days ago, there was a discussion about spanking that began with a post by Ebony. One person posted a long list of sources about spanking. That would be an excellent place for you to start. Good Luck!
#3 of 6 Old 11-01-2007, 09:22 PM

Definitely check out the links in the sticky at the beginning of this forum and the info posted by WuWei. It seems that the transition to GD (and away from violence) depends in large part upon one's commitment to non-violence.

To me, the data from the many countries that have already illegalized hitting young people is sooo convincing. After all, it rebuts many of the pro-hitting arguments such as "some kids NEED to be hit (really? millions of kids in these countries aren't and those countries aren't experiencing out-of-control juvenlile crime) or if spanking were illegal, it would be a 'nanny state' -- again, many countries protect their children without becoming a 'nanny state', etc. etc.).

Good luck and I hope your paper convinces at least one person that violence is not the way to go!

#4 of 6 Old 11-02-2007, 12:48 AM

I think if everyone is spanking the most important thing is to convince them that it's bad- then transition.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#5 of 6 Old 11-02-2007, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the ideas, I'll be looking into them today.

The assignment requires a solution and a call to action to end the problem, not just pointing out a problem.

Me: married to my :fireman Mama to my littles: Toby 8/04 and Elina 10/08
#6 of 6 Old 11-02-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerieshadow View Post
Thanks everyone for the ideas, I'll be looking into them today.

The assignment requires a solution and a call to action to end the problem, not just pointing out a problem.
I think that the answer is to go cold turkey. No "transition." Depending on their age, parents could let children know that Mom and Dad will keep the rules the same, but the consequences will be xyz. Or, with the very young, just introduce the consequences as needed. One important thing to do with children is to discuss the consequences of their actions that are both positive and negative. So if a family hasn't used "natural" consequences for behavior, start with simple things like, getting dressed quickly means extra time to play before we leave the house.

hth, and I really hope you make an impact!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page