Help me help my 3.5yo dd - Mothering Forums

#1 of 19 Old 12-02-2007, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am at the end of my rope with her......She is on the last fray of my last frayed rope.

She just doesn't stop.......from sun up to way past sun down she just goes without any downtime....

I try for the downtime.....

We read stories, we paint, we go out and splash in puddles.....we bake.....all stuff she loves but she just wants more more more more more more more more.

No isn't in her vocabulary....

Redirection doesn't work.

Please don't say it must be allergies bc I have posted a few different threads where that's the first thing ppl say.....We've done the elimination diet and did it for a long time and no change.....

My mom said I was the same way...Thanks mom, not what I wanted to hear.

But by the time 4pm rolls around I am just so over it I want to crawl under a rock and hide hide hide hide hide hide....

Dp gets home after working all day (almost 60wks these days bc he's needed at work) and she clamors after him before he even has both feet in the door...climbing, pushing, just over the top and his patience for it has worn thinner than mine....

She gets tons of attention......I wear the baby (3 months) most of the day so I am able to give her attention. (I would love to say the behavior started when the baby came or when I was pregnant but it's been this way for longer than that..)..

Everything is an instant whine whine whine whine.....

Jumping on furniture......

Jumping from chair to chair that we've had to push them all together so she doesn't break a leg (in the living room)....

She just doesn't know when to stop.......

Why doesn't anyone tell you about age 3??? They tell you about age 2....but 3 is like some sort of secret...

We limit sugar greatly.......most of what we eat is unrefined....no dyes, additives if we can avoid them.....

I've tried all sorts of routines over the past 2 years......and she's defied them all...

She's locking herself in the bathroom, the bedroom to the point where I want to remove all doors....

I can't live in a museum where everything is up and behind glass.....

I just recently took away her chair for her little table bc she was standing books on it and climbing over things...I don't want her hurt...

She hits on her dad when he has her sit next to him to calm down.....and then cries like someone is hurting her....but she needs down time and I don't know how else to give her downtime besides what we are already doing.......

I am not a spanker but man, I have come close......

Our patience is just out.....way past out.......

And she thinks it's all funny......laughs at it all......which just makes us more upset......

:::::::g loomy:::
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 12-02-2007, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Oh, Mama, I just couldn't read all that and not give you a great big . It sounds as if you are doing a great job. My dd was very high needs (still is!) but it was mostly emotional and not so much physical stuff. I finally just to be very, very strict about lots of things -- not a natual stance for me and my second child I am so much more lenient because it doesn't need the strictness, KWIM? She needed extremely firm boundaries. But, hey, she sounds easy compared to what you are going through. Did your Mom have any suggestions after her helpful comment? Surely she must remember something! I also can suggest a mother's helper. I used one once a week (a young neighbor, too young to babysit at 10 but great at enertaining my dd while I was in the house) and it truly saved my sanity. They do get more mature and life gets somewhat easier. If there is any way to get her into a preschool, you might want to consider it just to give yourself a break. You are doing a great job!
#3 of 19 Old 12-02-2007, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmsMom View Post
Oh, Mama, I just couldn't read all that and not give you a great big . It sounds as if you are doing a great job. My dd was very high needs (still is!) but it was mostly emotional and not so much physical stuff. I finally just to be very, very strict about lots of things -- not a natual stance for me and my second child I am so much more lenient because it doesn't need the strictness, KWIM? She needed extremely firm boundaries. But, hey, she sounds easy compared to what you are going through. Did your Mom have any suggestions after her helpful comment? Surely she must remember something! I also can suggest a mother's helper. I used one once a week (a young neighbor, too young to babysit at 10 but great at enertaining my dd while I was in the house) and it truly saved my sanity. They do get more mature and life gets somewhat easier. If there is any way to get her into a preschool, you might want to consider it just to give yourself a break. You are doing a great job!

Thank you ! I needed to hear that.

I had a sister who was 6 months older than me (adopted. mom was told no more children and voila..here i am....) so we had each other to occupy and we lived on a 40acre farm so she would just send us out to play.....LOL

I would love to have a mother's helper but can't afford one and the young girls around us are about 8...not old enough yet...

There is a great preschool down the road that is $32/day but the $ isn't there right now...thought about taking some tax $ and prepaying a bit......

She just got out of being so high needs only to renter that phase again...I enjoyed the break....but it's just nonstop now...

Need to refigure boundries...I try to do them and just get met with a brick wall, screaming, whining, crying, waking up the baby, afraid neighbor will call CPS from toddler screaming but I am not doing anything to her...just not getting her way.....

She is only physical with her father.....

#4 of 19 Old 12-02-2007, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow we should get together. That is so my daughter 2 years ago. She is still completely wild, but she's better at self-entertaining.

My best word of advice is to take her somewhere where she can wear herself out. Seriously. Get the steam run out of her. It's snowy here and I'm not a fan of McD's but when the weather is like this we'll go after lunch and just get a shake for her and a coffee or bottle of water for me and she'll spend two hours or so running herself ragged. I bring a book to read. I also get her hooked up with other kids for playdates where the kids can wear each other out.

My next suggestion, and I still do this too at the age of 5.5, is to make sure there are lots of physical high-sensory activities at home. Let her play with a big bowl, a bunch of rice, and measuring cups. Fill the sink with sudsy water to play with. Finger paints. Anything that involves lots of touch and feeling. That really helps my daughter. Any toys that involve lots of very physical hands-on touching help. Different textures and squishy gooey stuff is good. A little bread dough is good too. Or play dough type stuff.

That's all I've got based soley on what's helped with my daughter. But truly she still wakes up running and runs pretty constantly till she goes to bed. And talks. Every second. If she can't think of something to say, she'll start singing. Her voice is a constant. It does somehow makes her mood more manageable or something if I do the above two things.
#5 of 19 Old 12-02-2007, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post
Wow we should get together. That is so my daughter 2 years ago. She is still completely wild, but she's better at self-entertaining.

My best word of advice is to take her somewhere where she can wear herself out. Seriously. Get the steam run out of her. It's snowy here and I'm not a fan of McD's but when the weather is like this we'll go after lunch and just get a shake for her and a coffee or bottle of water for me and she'll spend two hours or so running herself ragged. I bring a book to read. I also get her hooked up with other kids for playdates where the kids can wear each other out.

My next suggestion, and I still do this too at the age of 5.5, is to make sure there are lots of physical high-sensory activities at home. Let her play with a big bowl, a bunch of rice, and measuring cups. Fill the sink with sudsy water to play with. Finger paints. Anything that involves lots of touch and feeling. That really helps my daughter. Any toys that involve lots of very physical hands-on touching help. Different textures and squishy gooey stuff is good. A little bread dough is good too. Or play dough type stuff.

That's all I've got based soley on what's helped with my daughter. But truly she still wakes up running and runs pretty constantly till she goes to bed. And talks. Every second. If she can't think of something to say, she'll start singing. Her voice is a constant. It does somehow makes her mood more manageable or something if I do the above two things.
Thanks. I'll try the activity things at home...Our closest Mcd's doesn't have a play area....but I can bundle her up as it's chilly here but not freezing yet....

We have the talking here too...

She is good at self-entertainment...always has been......

I have an almost 8yo sd who isn't at all.....can't entertain herself at all.....h

Playdates are hard to come by...all of my friends have kids who are in school and the ones close enough to us all have kids who are alot older....We only have the one car so we are pretty much homebound in the day most days....DP needs it for work......which is why I am trying to save up a bit for at least one day of preschool a week...gets her out, around other kids etc......

Those are great suggestions though....

Thanks!!
#6 of 19 Old 12-03-2007, 02:58 PM

I have two girls just like this. My mother told me the same thing about myself.... which of course did not help. We try and stay as active as possible. If I can get them tired in the morning my day goes much better. I understand how you feel. My daughter was right about two when my second was born. Now at 2 and almost 4 they play with each other sometimes which helps a lot. I have nothing to offer except empathy!
#7 of 19 Old 12-04-2007, 05:23 AM

My daughter will be 4 in 2 weeks and she is like this, too. My problem is in finding things that burn off her energy. If I take her to the park she likes to swing (which gives ME a workout but not her,) and she refuses to walk - wants to be carried or ride in the stroller. But she talks a mile a minute and is has a hard time relating to other kids because she is so LOUD and talks so MUCH if there is the briefest pause in the conversation (and often she doesn't even wait for that,) she will take over the talking. In made-up words, singing "Yellow Submarine" at the top of her lungs, or just laughing hilariously at her own self. She is, as I was (and am,) a total spaz.

She wants to do things and help, but it's hard for me because if I give her any thing it gets flung and thrown. I have a hard time figuring out how to get her to burn off her energy. Play areas with climbing things and what-not bore her. She would love to run around the block and run into all the neighbor's yards and pick their flowers and fling rocks from their rock gardens about... but I can't let her do that!

I wish we lived on a farm.

I wish I could offer more help -- everyone talks about making sure your child has enough physical activity. But I would love to see a big ol' list of things to do when you live in an urban area.
#8 of 19 Old 12-04-2007, 06:07 AM

I'm casting my vote with the "wear her out" approach. Have you thought about rock climbing? It sounds like it might be right up her alley. Most cities have an indoor rock gym and have kids' sized gear. It's quite safe, really fun, and a great way to wear a kiddo out. Since most kids climb like tiny mountain goats anyway, why not go with it?
#9 of 19 Old 12-04-2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine's mama View Post
I am at the end of my rope with her......She is on the last fray of my last frayed rope.

She just doesn't stop.......from sun up to way past sun down she just goes without any downtime....

I try for the downtime.....

We read stories, we paint, we go out and splash in puddles.....we bake.....all stuff she loves but she just wants more more more more more more more more.

No isn't in her vocabulary....

Redirection doesn't work.

Please don't say it must be allergies bc I have posted a few different threads where that's the first thing ppl say.....We've done the elimination diet and did it for a long time and no change.....

My mom said I was the same way...Thanks mom, not what I wanted to hear.

But by the time 4pm rolls around I am just so over it I want to crawl under a rock and hide hide hide hide hide hide....

Dp gets home after working all day (almost 60wks these days bc he's needed at work) and she clamors after him before he even has both feet in the door...climbing, pushing, just over the top and his patience for it has worn thinner than mine....

She gets tons of attention......I wear the baby (3 months) most of the day so I am able to give her attention. (I would love to say the behavior started when the baby came or when I was pregnant but it's been this way for longer than that..)..

Everything is an instant whine whine whine whine.....

Jumping on furniture......

Jumping from chair to chair that we've had to push them all together so she doesn't break a leg (in the living room)....

She just doesn't know when to stop.......

Why doesn't anyone tell you about age 3??? They tell you about age 2....but 3 is like some sort of secret...

We limit sugar greatly.......most of what we eat is unrefined....no dyes, additives if we can avoid them.....

I've tried all sorts of routines over the past 2 years......and she's defied them all...

She's locking herself in the bathroom, the bedroom to the point where I want to remove all doors....

I can't live in a museum where everything is up and behind glass.....

I just recently took away her chair for her little table bc she was standing books on it and climbing over things...I don't want her hurt...

She hits on her dad when he has her sit next to him to calm down.....and then cries like someone is hurting her....but she needs down time and I don't know how else to give her downtime besides what we are already doing.......

I am not a spanker but man, I have come close......

Our patience is just out.....way past out.......

And she thinks it's all funny......laughs at it all......which just makes us more upset......

:::::::g loomy:::
I just wanted to give you a hug. I have no advice, but lots of hugs. I could have written this post myself, actually have thought about writing a post like this. We used to do time outs, but after reading "Unconditional Parenting" we stopped. Now all she seems to do is push our buttons. Everything is no and if you tell her no, it's the end of the world!!

Just wanted to give you support. I feel like i'm alone sometimes. We live out in the country with noone to play with. I was thinking about trying to get her into preschool (i want to homeschool) just because I myself seem to need a break, and I feel badly about that.

Feel free to PM me anytime mama!!

Erica
#10 of 19 Old 12-04-2007, 10:39 PM

My 3 yr son is like this. and I do practically live on a farm. and I am ready to fall down and die by 4 pm....love playdough and making it. love anything high stimulus like the op said..suds, sometimes 2 baths per day..as much physical and mental stimulus as possible. I always think it is me and I just don't have enough energy for the sweet little monkey. Thank goodness his 11 yr old sister walks in the door about 3:30 and is ready to scream and run and play!!! Sorry but this has got to be my saving grace!
#11 of 19 Old 12-04-2007, 10:52 PM

mmmmmmmmmmmm girl.......i am so w/ you right now. my 3yo dd is non stop. and the chitter chatter all day long is sending me into a tail spin. i need a translator..........this is her: "mama, weers da duckie thing? little duckie mama? baby duck, quack quack. mama where is it? find it mama."
me: " i don't know what you talking about babe. what is it?"
her: "mom. you know. the little duck. goes swish. flyin around."
this will last for 30 minutes or more......

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
#12 of 19 Old 12-09-2007, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post

If I could hug you through the screen I would. I went out and got rice...brown and white. 4lbs total. I poured it all in our big silver bowl and handed her small cups, big cups, spoons you name it...I'll be (UA Violation) if she didn't sit and play with that for 2 hours.....calmly.....sorting, feeding it to her animals whose mouths opened (stuffed/wooden), making all kinds of food, stirring. I layed out her only playsilk (30x30) and set everything on top of it. The only "rule" was she had to keep the rice on the silk if she would....IT WAS AMAZING. She had a blast!!! I had 2 hours where I didn't now what to do with myself. I nursed the baby without interruption, and then just sat on the sofa observing....the giggles, the this is so fun coming from her mouth....Speechless and wondering why I didn't think of it before...Who would've thought that 4lbs of rice could work such miracles? She wanted to play with it the next day but I didn't want it to lose it's magic so I let her take a super long bubble bath with the cups and such for the rice....WOW.....Why didn't I join up here sooner and post this last year?????? to you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2theWoods View Post
My daughter will be 4 in 2 weeks and she is like this, too. My problem is in finding things that burn off her energy. If I take her to the park she likes to swing (which gives ME a workout but not her,) and she refuses to walk - wants to be carried or ride in the stroller. But she talks a mile a minute and is has a hard time relating to other kids because she is so LOUD and talks so MUCH if there is the briefest pause in the conversation (and often she doesn't even wait for that,) she will take over the talking. In made-up words, singing "Yellow Submarine" at the top of her lungs, or just laughing hilariously at her own self. She is, as I was (and am,) a total spaz.

She wants to do things and help, but it's hard for me because if I give her any thing it gets flung and thrown. I have a hard time figuring out how to get her to burn off her energy. Play areas with climbing things and what-not bore her. She would love to run around the block and run into all the neighbor's yards and pick their flowers and fling rocks from their rock gardens about... but I can't let her do that!

I wish we lived on a farm.

I wish I could offer more help -- everyone talks about making sure your child has enough physical activity. But I would love to see a big ol' list of things to do when you live in an urban area.
True. We live near places to take her outside to run and play and burn it off but we don't have a car in the daytime.....Dp needs it for work.....I never thought I would miss the farm I grew up on...I couldn't wait to get away from there...all my friends were long distance, nobody's parents ever wanted to drive em all the way out there (30min from downtown where they all lived) etc....I mean, it was great when I was little and we were 2 hours from NYC, Philly, a few to the shore, a few to DC.....Fantastic bc of the museums we got to go and experience...wouldn't trade that for the world...Now all I want to do is move back. Funny how your perspective changes when you get old....

Anyone else have any high tactile activites?????

I know they won't work everyday but I'll take what I can get at this point.....

THANK YOU!
#13 of 19 Old 12-09-2007, 12:43 PM

I'm glad that worked!

You know, it might work if you give her tactile activities every day. I wouldn't doubt if it would- at least most days (everyone has off days after all).

I'm trying to think of other things we do.

My dd has a box with fabric scraps and she likes to play with that. The pieces of fabric all have different textures. She also loves to sort the fabrics by size, shape, color, texture, etc. Sorting is fun.

Buttons. Same thing. We have a huge jar of old buttons. Hours of fun. Not for kids who still put things in their mouths as buttons are choke hazards and who KNOWS what those old buttons were made of.

Shaving cream in a bowl, again with measuring cups and things. Messy so maybe in the bathroom or something. It shouldn't get in her eyes and your daughter is younger than mine, so this might be something to hold off on for a bit though.

Marbles, if your daughter isn't mouthing things. It works like buttons. My daughter likes to play with marbles for ages too. She likes to fill things with them, balance them on things, move them from one container to another, etc.

Mud is great but of course that's an outdoor thing and depending on where you are might not work right now. But in the summer, I give her buckets and let her use the hose. For a 3.5-year-old I'd use the hose myself.

Sandbox, but again that's an outdoor thing. Also, a sand/water table as using sand and water together is good.

It's hard in the winter because a lot of this stuff is more outdoorsy because it's so messy.
#14 of 19 Old 12-09-2007, 12:53 PM

OOh I thought of other favorite hands-on tactile stuff:

Let her wash dishes. If she can safely stand at the sink, she can do it in the sink - otherwise put a big not-too tippy bowl on the floor with soapy water, and some unbreakable dishes and a rag. My daughter LOVES washing dishes.

Let her clean the kitchen floor. If you have a safe cleaner, put it in a spray bottle. If you don't, just put water in spray bottle. Give her the bottle and a rag and let her have at it. Even if your floor doesn't get very clean, it'll keep her busy for hours and make her feel useful. Kids like feeling like they're doing something important.

Get a feather duster and have her dust. This doesn't take all that long but it's nice to have everything dusted and it does last for a little while. Be careful though because my daughter once plucked all the feathers out. There are ones made of other materials though. Feathers are hard to resist. LOL

A safe (lead-free, etc.) tea set, and REAL WATER to drink. Ooooh the time that is spent pouring and drinking and stirring water, pretending it's tea.
#15 of 19 Old 12-09-2007, 01:14 PM

My dd (3) got a mini trampoline last Christmas, similar to this one.
http://www.amazon.com/My-First-Jumpe.../dp/B000GKLDFK
I put on her favourite fast music on, nice and loud, and have a dance/jump party.
I love that trampoline!
#16 of 19 Old 12-09-2007, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We find that proactively meeting deep pressure/sensory seeking needs with ds before going into a overwhelming situation helps also. Some of the physical outlets are able to be done while in restrictive places like waiting in lines. Oh, and dairy, HFCS, artificial colors/flavors and high salicylate loading help to increase sensory seeking in ds.

It helps if I connect with him first thing in the morning and create some type of body compression. We have a few sensory games that we have created:

"choo-choo train" is when he lies on the bed and I "row" his feet like a bicycle and we chuga-chuga-choo-choo (he does the train whistle sound) and we repeat that over and over for about 5 minutes. The engagement, physical motion and my participatory resistance/driving of his legs back and forth provides a lot of sensory input in a non-impact way.

Another is "pillow mash"-again he lies on the bed and I place a pillow on top of his chest and firmly "agitate" the pillow in a jiggling motion and say "pillow mash, pillow mash", repeatedly. This provides input to his chest.

And another one is "salt shaker", again he lies on the bed, and I hold both legs up and "shake salt" out of him. He is sorta upside down (legs up in the air, body on the bed), which gives input of vibrating his head and back on the firm mattress.

Another is "burrito"-where he is wrapped tightly in a blanket and rolled side to side repeatedly.

Another is "sack of potatoes" when he climbs in a pillow case and I lift him up and down from the floor.

We also do "row-row-row-your boat" where we both lie on the trampoline with full body contact and roll across the surface back and forth, singing row-row-row-your boat. The total body compression is very calming for him.

We have his bed mattress and box springs on the floor. So, he'll go up to his room and bounce and jump for sensory input too.

Oh, also he loves to stand in place and jump up to reach my hands above his head. This is helpful when waiting in line, where he is restless, but needs contained activity. It creates jumping, reaching and a goal/game aspect.

Another is where I hold my hands together palm to palm and move them up and down and he tries to clap them with his hands. Again, this is great for when out and about and he has too much energy for the space limitations. A variant of this is where he tries to "give five" while I pull my hands back quickly. These can be used to constructively engage other people in the "game" also, which might free you up for short periods.

He also loves to play in the sink with LOTS of soap, that seems to be very soothing to him (but messy). Some kids really seek multiple baths a day and having that planned before and/or mid-visit may allow a connecting time with you; and a recentering activity, enough to make it a longer night.

So, if we are going to have a lot of sensory stimuli like a cacophony of sounds from a crowded party, we proactively do these games for 15 minutes several times throughout the day. It helps if we are very careful to avoid dairy, HFCS and artificial colors which decrease his ability to hear and consider other's needs. We try to plan activities for earlier in the day, plan some outside play time, especially swinging. Big tight, long hugs help in the midst of chaos to recenter. We also freely use Rescue Remedy (and/or Cherry Plum) Bach flower remedies before (and during) high stress situations.

Any frenetic rushing by me, amps ds up; and his sensory needs increase due to the decreased connection with me, as much as anything.

I ran across this other comprehensive list of ideas for sensory activities:http://www.coping.org/intervention/s...nsintegact.htm

It probably helps to practice some of these games so that they are fun, known and can be anticipated. Perhaps, make a list, or place a name of each game on a piece of paper and have him choose one from a jar to play with you or others.

Hope that helps!

I have a blog.
#17 of 19 Old 12-09-2007, 02:08 PM

Here are some more!

Sensory Activities
Here is a another list of various sensory activities that children may enjoy and benefit from. I am copying this from ShineWithUnschooling. I find that proactively offering and engaging our son with some of these sensory inputs really helps when we have/had a busy day. If we have too much unfamiliar stimuli, he needs a break to recenter with some of these soothing activities. Or else......meltdown!

==========
CALMING ACTIVITIES:
Experiences that may help to relax the nervous system

* Stretches
* Deep pressure massage
* Slow rocking or swinging
* Fidget toys
* Progressive muscle relaxation
* Quite music with a steady beat
* Bear hugs
* Reduced noise and light levels
* Lavender, vanilla or other soothing smells
* Snuggling in a sleeping bag, large pillows or bean bag chair

>>>

ORGANIZING ACTIVITIES:
Experiences that can help an individual become focused and attentive

*Sucking or chewing on hard candy or gum
* Adding rhythm to the activity
* Vibration-toy massager, vibrating pillow, wiggle pen
* 'Heavy work' tasks to include hanging, pushing, pulling or carrying heavy objects

Similarly:

To organize
*Swinging on a swing or climbing
* Rhythmical sustained movement: marching, washing a table, or bouncing
* Rocking in a rocking chair
* "Squeezie" toys (koosh balls, balloons or rubber gloves filled with flour or cream, soft balls, gak, silly putty)
* Hanging by the arms on the monkey bars (20-30 seconds)
* Pushing/carrying heavy objects
* Carrying back packs weighted with books or bags of dried beans (this should only be worn for 15-20 minutes with an hour or two between)
*A reading corner with a bean bag chair makes a wonderful place for escape when there is too much stimulation. Some children may like the bean bag on top of them.
* Play dough
* Tactile Bins (cornmeal, oatmeal, water, sand, rice, beans)
** A bin full of bird seed (brought outside) is merrily cleaned up by the birdies -- no mess! :')
* Kitchen time (mixing, tasting, smelling, washing up)
* Finger painting

Some children also need extra sensory input in their mouths and hands in order to organize their behavior:

* Drinking from a water bottle
* Chewing (you can use a straw, rubber tubing or coffee stir stick)

>>>

* Being brushed with a corn de-silking brush (in one direction approximately 10 times with pressure brush their arms, back (but not over the spine), legs (on the top, outer parts and underneath, avoid the inner thigh area), top of the feet and the hands)
* Sucking on hard candy, frozen fruit bar, or spoonful of peanut butter or marshmallow fluff
* Licorice tug-of-war, blow pin wheels or various types of blow toys, bubbles and whistles
* Pushing against walls with the hands, shoulders, back, buttocks and head
* Cuddling or back rubbing
* Taking a bath
* Being rolled tightly like a hot dog in a blanket
* Being squished under a therapy ball, mat or couch cushion
* Tug-of-war
* Wheelbarrow walking, jumping games like hop scotch
* Crashing games-run and dive into boxes, bean bags and couch cushions
* Pulling a wagon, carrying a heavy book bag, digging in the yard or carrying groceries
* Sports such as wrestling and football
* Deep pressure (giving a massage) and joint compressions (holding above one joint and under one joint then doing a quick 10 repetitions of compressions, pushing and pulling)
* A mini trampoline
* A sockem bopper or whatever they call those weighted kid-sized things that spring back up after you knock them down

Oh, and going outside to blow bubbles is my cure-all. I always have bubbles in the car for "emergencies" too.

I have a blog.
#18 of 19 Old 12-09-2007, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Another tactile activity is playdough. But don't use the teeny little cups of it you buy at the toy store. Make your own. Its much better when they have a large quantity to sink their hands into.

Here's a recipe
http://www.mcps.k12.md.us/curriculum/pep/playdo.htm

Making goop is also fun you just mix cornstarch and water until you get a nice consistency.

Cornmeal is fun to play with and it is similar in consistency to sand. Or you could get a small bag of sand to let her play with.

I would get a dishwashing tub like this

http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid...d=HPProd100153
to use to provide the sensory experiences in.

Another fun thing to play with is a whole bunch of cooked cold spaghetti.

Jennifer, mama to darling dancing Juliette, and sweet baby Jameson
#19 of 19 Old 12-09-2007, 02:12 PM

Here are some more sensory activities for little people:

We have an "under the bed" storage container (cheap Rubermaid type thing). In it we have 10-20# of dry beans, dry macaroni pasta, and rice. We have measuring spoons, measuring cups, big bowl, big wooden spoon, etc. We play with it on top of a sheet/blanket and pour the pieces that jump out, back in.

I just saw a little indoor "sand box" at a store, with the same idea. Basically, some sort of container, with little bulldozer, small shovel, cups, little cars, etc. to play in the "sand box". It was only about 12inches x 12inches, filled with very fine sand. I'm going to make one of those.

I just saw a "hug vest" that someone mentioned, and it looks enticing.

And I just purchased a "balance board" which wobbles and ds can sit or stand on it. http://www.sensorycomfort.com/toys.htm (about 1/2 way down)

Ds loves to lay/roll on my big birthing ball too. But, we keep it outside since it is so large.

Do you have pounding toys? We have an old tree stump outside with nails in it that ds likes to hammer on.

You might make one of those body sock/sox. http://www.allegromedical.com/childr...x-p211017.html

There are those collapsible tunnels which are fun for a lot of body contact with the floor while crawling inside. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CBWWEY?smid=A1M5WY8N698MVG&tag=|nextag-toys-20&linkCode=asn (can't fix the link, but it works if you copy it) http://cgi.ebay.com/AUTISM-Resistanc...ayphotohosting We have a big pile of pillows and stuffed animals which ds likes to climb into and burrow down and be mashed.

(I copied the above from Bethany's thread, which has even more sensory toys and activities: https://www.mothering.com/discussions...ta#post9818426)

It also sounds like you need some down time. Scheduling that for myself proactively is critical for my sanity. Dh and ds have "Dada Day" on Saturday, where I run errands, and have time for myself. Also Tuesday evening I have "off" and dh does dinner with ds while I'll go out, do errands or meet a friend for a meal. Having a mother's helper, $5/hr for a couple of hours twice a week helps too.

Age 3 is movin', hoppin', jumpin', climbin', movin', hoppin', jumpin', climbin', movin', hoppin', jumpin', climbin', movin', hoppin', jumpin', climbin', movin', hoppin', jumpin', climbin', movin', hoppin', jumpin', climbin', movin', hoppin', jumpin', climbin', movin', hoppin', jumpin', climbin', movin', hoppin', jumpin', climbin', movin', hoppin', jumpin', climbin...

I have a blog.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page