"Again, Again!!" - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 01-22-2008, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This has become an increasingly problem in our home with my 2.25yo. She has one book that is by far more supreme than any of the others according to her so of course she wants it read over and over. Great! I love that she loves books. So I read it. Again. And again. And again and again and again. But at some point I get bored to death and we have to move on to something else. Whether it's getting dressed so we can leave, cooking lunch, etc but it always resorts in a huge tantrum. I give her warnings "Ok, 2 more times then we have to go do x. Ok, this is the last time, then we're putting the book away for later so we can do x." but it doesn't always help. Any ideas on how to help her transition to something else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 01-22-2008, 01:29 PM

Could you bring the book with you? Maybe something like "let's get dressed and bring the book to the car!!"

You could also let her know that this is the last time mommy will read the book, and then she can look at the pictures.

Maybe make up a song to sing about the book while you transition from that into the next thing? Or walk like a character from the book up the stairs to get dressed, or out the door?

When DS2 was a little bit younger than your DD is, I started singing an "out the door" song (the Monster Disco from Sesame Street in the 70s) and he loved it so much that it could distract him from just about anything, it was like magic.

Can she be distracted from a tantrum? You could start by sympathizing with how sad she feels, say you see her sad face. Show her your sad face, then segue to discussing other types of faces.

Not sure if any of those will help. Tantrums aren't fun!

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#3 of 4 Old 01-22-2008, 10:49 PM

If you are to the point of hating it, maybe it could disapear in the middle of the night, and the book fairy could leave some new ones. Or take her to the store and pick a new one out.

#4 of 4 Old 01-23-2008, 02:53 AM

With DS I find that telling him when we will read again helps a lot. I say something like "I'll read it one more time then we need to go have dinner. We can read XYZ again after daddy plays with you and you get ready for bed." That way he knows that it's not no more XYZ forever but just for now.

I also try to keep other books more obviously insight. A book that he has wanted a lot lately and I'm sick of goes in the middle of a stack of books. While a book we haven't read in a few days sits inticingly on the couch. Sometimes he specifically requests the we've read it a million times book, but quite often he sees the less read book waiting and wants that.

Timmy's Mommy WARNING
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
yslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page