"accidents" in her bedroom!! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 9 Old 04-23-2008, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dd has been using the toilet for over six months! but for the last two months (since our new baby), she has been having "accidents" in her bedroom at least once a day! sometimes more. I'm going to go crazy. It's gross, and her room is starting to smell...

I've been very patient. Asking for her help in cleaning up the mess. Talking to her about why we should use the toilet. But, today she went under her bed, crawled in the corner & went pee!!!! Her "accidents" are very much on purpose.

I've tried potty toys for when she uses the toilet, praise, stickers!!! nothing is working! and I've told her I'm going to start putting her in diaper... and she's completly thrilled with the idea.

argggggg.... I'm going nuts! anyone else dealt w/this? have any great advice for me?? please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 04-23-2008, 06:52 PM

sounds like she just needs special one-on-one time with mama. no experience here but i wanted to say how frustrating that must be. hope it passes very soon!

DH, and Me plus baby girl (10/07)
#3 of 9 Old 04-23-2008, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am by no means an expert at this but is she getting enough attention? New babies mean a lot of upheaval to a toddler.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#4 of 9 Old 04-23-2008, 06:57 PM

It's definitely regression which is typical. My dd did this too and our baby had already been around for at least 6 months. She used to go into her dress up bin and pee in there. We started taking things away from her.

I've read before and agree that putting a potty trained/ing child back in diapers is not a good idea. I remember the article equating it to "traumatic."

It's hard but it is just a phase and will end.
#5 of 9 Old 04-23-2008, 11:17 PM

What if you put a little potty in her room? Might not work, but perhaps worth a try?

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

#6 of 9 Old 04-23-2008, 11:41 PM

I agree with the suggestion to put a potty chair in her room.

Also, we did end up putting my older children back in pull-ups at night for a while after my youngest was born. It was something they wanted and was not traumatic at all for them, and helped tremendously in minimizing the stress and tension levels in our home. They went back to underwear again when they were ready.

My oldest, especially, had gotten to the point where she was lying awake almost all night worrying that she might have an accident, and it was incredibly helpful to her to remove the stress for a little while. (No, we never made a big deal about accidents at all, but she is very much a perfectionist by nature and hates messes or accidents.)

We also made sure to give them lots of attention, but with a new baby a child is going to experience some stress and adjustment no matter how much attention they get, so I'd encourage you to just do the best you can and not feel guilty or like it's your fault.
#7 of 9 Old 04-24-2008, 12:17 AM

My 2.5 yo decided to stop telling me when he goes poop since his 7 wo brother was born. Regression was the reason that I held off on encouraging or focusing on teaching him about the potty. I figure that once things settle down we'll start learning about using the potty.

I know it's frustrating, but just let it be. Nature's Miracle is great for getting the urine smell out of fabric, btw.
#8 of 9 Old 04-24-2008, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My brother did this when he was three and we moved to a new house. He peed in every corner of the house (literally, just the corners) for quite a while. An outlet to express the stress of the move. I don't remember what my parents did but of course the phase past. If she wants to wear a diaper I say let her wear a diaper. I agree that a potty in her room would be a good idea too. Just as much special attention as you can muster and she'll adjust as soon as she can.

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
#9 of 9 Old 04-24-2008, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the replies! today is a new day... and I'm not feeling as frustrated by the accidents.

I had a bad day yesterday, and her peeing in the corner really angered me.

I've decided not to put her in a diaper. she acts like she would be happy, but I think it would make her feel bad about herself when she was actually wearing them!

she never would use a potty chair, so I'm not sure that idea would work! But I'll keep it in mind.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page