"Mama, I am Just kidding!" - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 08-27-2008, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
This is the most bizarre thing lately with Harvest. He does naughty things, such as pushing kids or hurting his father and I and then says, "Mama, I am just kidding!" He clearly doesnt understand what just kidding means and is using it as a way to make light of his behavior. He is only two years old-just barely so I dont know if reasoning with him is really appropriate. I tell him that it is never ok to hurt people and it is not funny but he keeps insisting that he is just kidding.

Any ideas of how to deal with this?

Joyful mama of 3.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 08-27-2008, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nope, sorry kiddo, that's not a funny joke. People don't like to be pushed, and it's mean to hurt other people on purpose. No more, OK?

Something like that is probably what I'd say.

And I'd watch how you and DP use the term "Just kidding!" around him.
#3 of 3 Old 08-27-2008, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:

We've been getting "Just Joking" a lot around here lately too. I am sure it is because DS hears us saying it, and then laughing afterward. He LOVES to make us laugh! I believe that he is trying to learn about humor, and if we tell him something is funny, (even indirectly, by saying "Just Joking!"), then he believes it is funny. After all, a joke IS funny, right? We've had to learn to be more conscious of how literal DS is right now.

I think if you are just patient and consistent with what you've been doing - not laughing when he says he is just kidding, and explaining to him that hurting people is not funny, I think it'll just pass when he realizes that he's not getting the reaction he hopes for (to make you laugh?)

Adult behavior must seem so arbitrary when you're two! :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page