Quoted: 0 Post(s)
*--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 09-10-2006, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm pretty sure you'll find that being on your back when you're huge will be pretty uncomfortable, and you will probably naturally avoid that position in your sleep later on. I found that I would wake up each time I needed to change positions, I wouldn't just move in my sleep without waking almost fully. Of course I had to move all my pillows too. I think you'll be fine!
#3 of 23 Old 09-10-2006, 04:43 PM

Its quite likely that by the time you're 7 or 8 months you will be so ensconced in pillows that it will be impossible to roll over. I think last time I had one between my legs, one under my belly and one wedged under my back. When you add room on the bed for your dp, there will be no space to roll over. Also, I found that i slept really lightly and started waking when I moved, so I wouldn't worry too much. Also, varrying practitioners seem tohave different levels of concern about the back sleeping thing. Last time I asked a obstetrician about this and he just shrugged and said to go to sleep on my side and not worry too much.

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)

#4 of 23 Old 09-10-2006, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

---
#5 of 23 Old 09-10-2006, 05:07 PM

I'm not one to listen to a midwife or OB about sleep, so I just sleep however I'm most comfy. Usually it's on my back. The only reason I spend time on my side is because dd is still nursing in the middle of the night at least once. As soon as she's done, I roll onto my back. Also, I have arthritis in my hips (at the ripe old age of 23 so I can't spend to much time on my side or I can't walk the next day.

Mama of three.

#6 of 23 Old 09-10-2006, 06:12 PM

Sleep now while you still can. Insomnia tends to hit around 7 months -- partially due to hormone overload in the brain, plus being really uncomfortable plus having to pee all the time. And once you have one child . . . . as my sister with 6 children said to me, "Congratulations. Don't expect to get any sleep for the next 18 years . . . first they wake you up by waking up, then you stay awake worrying about them, then they keep you awake waiting for them to come home and go to sleep."

#7 of 23 Old 09-10-2006, 08:19 PM

I sleep on my stomach, all the way to the end... just modified a bit

Yep, at some point the weight of your belly will make it hard to breathe, move, or feel your legs if you lay long enough on your back.. your legs will hurt or go numb when the blood flow lowers, and you'll feel it and wake up, I promise.

anyhow, to stay comfy on your stomach, turn to your left hip, put your left shoulder behind you (feels funny at first, but it's the only wya I can sleep now) so you aren't on your arm, and put pillows under your right leg as you roll forward on to your belly so the weight of your leg goes to the pillow, not your belly. SO NICE in those last months to be able to be like that!

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#8 of 23 Old 09-10-2006, 08:23 PM

In some of my pregnancies it felt really uncomfortable to lay on my back. With my first the nurse laid me on my back for a NST and I almost passed out. This time it feels good to me. Sometimes it will start feeling bad after a while so I reposition. I agree with the other posters here. Sleep in any position you feel comfortable in right now because soon enough none of them will feel great. I also have put a pillow behind my back to help me from rolling back during sleep. It feels good to have that support sometimes.

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora
#9 of 23 Old 09-11-2006, 10:57 AM

Is it really bad to sleep on your back? How is it bad? To the baby or to the mama?

I'm quite comfortable on my back... should I try to change?
#10 of 23 Old 09-11-2006, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadiawrites
So what I'm hearing is that people don't really sleep too much near the end of the pregnancy... and then the baby comes, and again, no sleep!?!

I am way too much of an idealist to be hearing this!!!
Sorry honey...no sleep for you! Let's put it this way..DD is almost 5 months old, and sleeps anywhere from 4-6 hours at a stretch, which is a GODSEND after the months of waking up every two hours. And we can't nurse, so that means getting up and fixing a bottle and feeding her and then getting her back down and by the time we're done with all that she wakes up an hour later. : It's better now though.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#11 of 23 Old 09-11-2006, 01:36 PM

not in your due date club but just popping in to share about one concern with back sleeping. If you read up on optimal fetal positioning, you will find that sleeping on the back or laying backwards alot leads the baby to settle more in the posterior position in the pelvis. Sidelying, especially on the left side creates more space in the pelvis for babe to settle in anterior. So as you reach the last couple of months of pg, you might want to be mindful of this. I am really aware b/c I had a posterior baby last time and it hurts!!
a great book to read is: Sit up and Take Notice!
#12 of 23 Old 09-11-2006, 02:11 PM

we always co-slept, so sleeping wasn't a huge issue for me when my ds came along. he woke up alot, but i just stuck my boob in his mouth and went back to sleep.

i highly recommend co-sleeping if you value your sleep.

this is me sleeping now: no stomach sleeping as it would be like laying on two boulders. i have never been a back sleeper, so i start out on one side. eventually my hand falls alseep and i roll over. then the other hand falls asleep. and so i roll over again. that's my night. at least it's not my hips this time!

can't wait for the turtle trapped on it's back stage. oh goody.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#13 of 23 Old 09-11-2006, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Is it really bad to sleep on your back? How is it bad? To the baby or to the mama?

I'm quite comfortable on my back... should I try to change?
From what I have read it can be bad for the baby. When you lay on your back your uterus sits on top of major blood vessels including ones that go to the baby. I don't think it's a huge concern right now for most of us. It's later in pregnancy when your uterus gets really heavy. Plus it's laying completely flat on your back, if your hips are slightly turned then your okay. For me, I ached to sleep on my back, but it was soooo uncomfortable. I would often put a pillow under my back and then sleep laying back on the pillow. It made me feel like I was sleeping on my back but again my hips were slightly turned making it okay.

I also wanted to say that not everyone has insomnia in the last few months. With dd I slept like a rock right up until the end. I would wake for a few minutes during the night to switch sides, but I would fall right back to sleep. It was a huge shocker for me this pregnancy to have insomnia.

Lastly, trust your body to tell you what is okay for you and the baby. If your still comfortable sleeping on your back or tummy, go for it. When it becomes uncomfortable then find something else that works.
#14 of 23 Old 09-11-2006, 04:20 PM

I have always been a side sleeper, so this hasn't been an issue for me so far. What I have noticed, is when I do roll over on my back, my arms & legs fall asleep! OUCH: I normally wake up then & flip over to my side.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#15 of 23 Old 09-11-2006, 04:56 PM

I hate sleeping on my side but its really the only thing that works for pregnancy.... I'm a stomach sleeper normally.

Homeschooling SAHM to 3 children under 5 + one on the way.
#16 of 23 Old 09-11-2006, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

--
#17 of 23 Old 09-12-2006, 08:04 PM

Oh, speaking of arms falling asleep, last pregnancy, at about 7 mos, I woke up and totally freaked out because I COULD NOT FEEL MY ARM or move it. It was seriously so dead that all my nerves had ceased to function. It took about five min. for me to massage and shake it back to life. Weird, eh?

I also find that for some reason my ears get sore while side sleeping when I'm pregnant. Haven't figured that one out yet.

#18 of 23 Old 09-12-2006, 09:44 PM

How come Nadia's posts are gone?
#19 of 23 Old 09-12-2006, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh_mom
How come Nadia's posts are gone?
i looked and she deleted almost all of her posts. (or someone signed in as her did)

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#20 of 23 Old 09-12-2006, 10:55 PM

I am comfy on my back but I do reposition alot during the night (When not preg. I sleep on my back arms crossed like a corpse and never move. Dh jokes I never have 'morning hair' LOL)
What is weird is it is unbelievably uncomfortable for me to lie on my left side. Even for just a minute.
#21 of 23 Old 09-12-2006, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybeedreams
i looked and she deleted almost all of her posts. (or someone signed in as her did)
My posts?~?~?
#22 of 23 Old 09-13-2006, 12:04 AM

Yes what happened to your posts? change your password?

Homeschooling SAHM to 3 children under 5 + one on the way.
#23 of 23 Old 09-13-2006, 12:39 AM

Nadia - they are all showing up as blanks here! Weird!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page