nursing strike.. feeling like a bad mama - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 05-14-2010, 03:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my DD just started a nursing strike about a day and a half ago... she's teething pretty badly but i'm pretty sure the strike is my fault, for involuntarily screaming 2-3 times when she bit me hard in the last few days, which generally upset her. i'm feeling terrible about it and, of course, super scared that she won't start nursing again.

she is 10 months old but still uninterested in solids, so her only source of food is breastmilk, making it even more stressful. pumping as often as she nurses seems like it will be so much work but i'm terrified i'll start having less!

just need a vote of confidence that she WILL nurse again, especially since that is her only source of food... i've read some other threads on strikes but most of them are with babies that eat already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 05-14-2010, 04:23 AM

, what a bummer, although nursing strikes do finish, however you need to stimulate the breast - you'll have to pump, its most important.

The other thing is FORGIVE yourself.

To coax her back to the breast you could try having a bath with her, warm, nice and deep bath, low lighting this induces memories of the birth which could let her forget your scream which has obviously frightened her - but you need to forgive yourself as well, it's a natural reaction to pain and she needs to understand that she can't bite you, if teething is particularly hard for her you can give her a special toy that she CAN bite when the pain is rough - you can explain all this to her and she will understand, try also biological nurturing - www.biologicalnurturing.com to see position - its a wonderful website, set up a nursing corner, low lights, soft cushions, no distractions such as the tv and the like, maybe a little soft music that she likes but nothing thats going to rouse her, if you co-sleep put her to bed with you and be topless so that whilst dropping off to sleep she can take the breast - it could take a few days to get her back on track but I'm sure you'll manage fine - hang in there - you're doing a great job and forgive yourself, theres no point in giving yourself a hard time.

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .
#3 of 4 Old 05-14-2010, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
2 out of my 3 kiddos have done nursing strikes, it sucks. Just keep offering, night time or when they are sleeping is sometimes when you can trick them into nursing. And hang in there.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

#4 of 4 Old 05-14-2010, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for your kind reply! she IS nursing while she's asleep... during naps and at night (while we cosleep). i am worried about her getting enough food/hydration.

we will be trying lots of skin to skin and warm baths today!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page