Need advice and/or commiseration - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 06-04-2007, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mods: I'm cross posting this here as well as in Life with a Babe because this has to do with comforting/consoling/coping was well as BFing.

My nearly 7-week-old DD has been having this fussy period that runs from late afternoon (4 or 5 pm) until 10 or so. She nurses constantly, but will start to cry, pull on my nipple, and pop off my breast. Then she will cry and act frustrated that she can't find my nipple again, even though I am either holding it in her mouth or tickling her lips with it so she knows it's there. She pops on and off until I am so sore and we are both frustrated.

She doesn't want to be in the sling or to be swaddled. She doesn't want to be held or put down. I try burping her.

She was in the NICU for the first month of her life and was on high calorie formula as well as my EBM. She has been gaining weight so well that we were able to give up the formula in the last couple days, so I wondered if she isn't getting enough BM from me. (She has been BFing for a week and I have been able to give up the pump. She still gets 15cc's of formula once a night because that's how we give her phenobarbital.) I tried giving her a bottle of formula to fill her up, but she wanted no part of it. (I was glad for that!) I tried nursing her again, and she finally fell asleep.

Could this time period just be her fussy time and theBFing has nothing to do with it? Or do you think we have a nursing problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 06-04-2007, 01:23 AM

I would get her weighed to make sure she's doing ok on BM alone but know that this is a classic fussy stage for babies: both the age and the time of day. I used to put my dd in a pouch and take a walk. The constant motion helped.

I was recently given this link about fussy stages: http://www.geocities.com/hedracita/Fussy_Stages.html

HTH!
#3 of 8 Old 06-04-2007, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for that link, Danna! It was very helpful.

We have a visiting nurse who comes once a week, and DD was weighed twice last week because we also saw the ped. She is gaining a little over an ounce a day. The nurse comes again tomorrow, so we will see how she is doing.

Thanks!

#4 of 8 Old 06-04-2007, 09:50 AM

It sounds like your baby is gaining very well.

It's pretty common for some babies to have a fussy period in the evening. My first baby was fussy every evening from 4 or 5 until 9 or so, from about 2 weeks until 2 months of age. I found the Dr. Sears book The Fussy Baby to be very helpful. He gives some good strategies for coping.
#5 of 8 Old 06-04-2007, 10:37 AM

As pp have said, it sounds like normal behaviour. The link below has some good info you might find reassuring:

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html

One way that I used to cope with this kind of behaviour with my dd, was to get in the bath with her. The warm water and skin to skin contact usually helped to calm her down. (Skin to skin contact also works well without being in the bath).
Something else that might help is doing breast compressions. Milk volume tends to be lower in the evening (it is also higher in fat content in the evening so even though baby is getting less volume, the milk is higher in fat to keep baby satisfied). Some babies will get frustrated that the milk isn't coming fast enough, and breast compressioons can help to keep the milk flowing. The link below has info on how to do breast compressions:

http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/T051200.asp

The above link is from the askdrsears website, and has some great info on coping with a fussy baby.

Keep doing what you're doing (nursing on demand) and hang in there!
#6 of 8 Old 06-04-2007, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My twins were fussy like that until I started putting them into be MUCH earlier. They had to be IN bed by 7 pm at the latest. If I missed the window, they would be HORRID for hours. If I made it, they slept great.

However, with my first, he was just fussy.

I have several friends who swore by long walks in the evening.

Just kep trying things, you will find something that helps (or babe will suddenly outgrow it).

Sorry to hear about the Nicu and pheno. I went through that with my oldest, it sucked BIG TIME!! Pm me if you want to chat.

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
#7 of 8 Old 06-04-2007, 10:49 PM

My daughter went through that phase as well...probably from about six weeks to 3mos or so.

We called 7pm "the witching hour". Our normally docile, gurgling little girl became a demon-baby like clockwork for the next 2 hours each night. Screams, howls, tears, and none of the usual (slinging, swinging, burping, feeding) seemed to calm her down. Exercise seemed to calm her down a little...she liked having her body moved around a lot at that time...little arm raises, knees to chest, pull ups (if your baby has head control), bicycling her legs, etc. She also LOVES the water, so, we'd take her in the bath as well.

I hope you find something that works for your baby. It can be hard when they go through this.
#8 of 8 Old 06-05-2007, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so much for your great replies. We just got done with another session of this, but only for 1-1/2 hours tonight. I remember DS going through this (nearly 8 years ago), but he was a constant screamer. It was just more intense at the Witching Hour.

I'll keep trying all of your suggestions.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page