Homemade Formula? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 08-02-2007, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm trying to get my supply up with a pump, but am still primarily using formula. I've been searching for fresh formula recipes and have found many, all with conflicting information. One says raw goat's milk is best, another says raw cow's milk. One says to add meat and another says not too. One says juices are essential, another says juice is terrible. I don't know what to think.

I just made my first batch of formula usinf raw goat's milk, carrot and celery juice and water. Dd loved it, but I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing! Grr... I can't wait until my supply increases and I can ebf exclusively. Until then what should I do?

Kristi

Kristi wife to Mal , mom to Ziva (4/07) (3/08) Aliyah (1/09) and somebody new (edd 11/10). I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 08-02-2007, 01:30 AM

I use fresh unpasturized goat milk from a very good rancher (that is very important). goat milk is missing folic acid, but otherwise much closer to bm than formula. My dd has done very well on goat milk/ folic acid/ cod liver oil/ multi vit. You just have to make sure that babe is not getting too much folic acid it can be harmful. The fresh juiced carrot (less than 1hour old, if it is pasturized it will not work) will also work for the folic acid, but I find the liquid easier to use. Hope all that came out right!
#3 of 6 Old 08-02-2007, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggijessie View Post
I use fresh unpasturized goat milk from a very good rancher (that is very important). goat milk is missing folic acid, but otherwise much closer to bm than formula. My dd has done very well on goat milk/ folic acid/ cod liver oil/ multi vit. You just have to make sure that babe is not getting too much folic acid it can be harmful. The fresh juiced carrot (less than 1hour old, if it is pasturized it will not work) will also work for the folic acid, but I find the liquid easier to use. Hope all that came out right!
That helps so much! Thank you! I've been hoping someone would say, "My kid drank this and is healthy and happy." That will really easy my mind.

So, tell me, what do you think are essentials? If I used goat milk, carrot and celery juice and water do you thin that's good, or should I be adding multi-vits too? Do you dilute the goat milk with water or not? My dd is 3 months old and I read somewhere that I should dilute it until the 6th month. WOuld you mind sharing your recipe? How long have you been using it?

Thanks SO much.

Kristi

Kristi wife to Mal , mom to Ziva (4/07) (3/08) Aliyah (1/09) and somebody new (edd 11/10). I

#4 of 6 Old 08-02-2007, 09:11 AM

As much as I hated using formula, I did use the store bought formula. One danger in using homemade formula is cow's or goat's milk anemia. Since non-human milk is irritating to a babe's digestive system, their intestines bleed. Even small amounts that you can't see can cause anemia.

Are you open to donor human milk? Check out the stick on low milk supply at the top of this forum for hints on how to increase your own supply, and sources for donor milk other than a milk bank.

through this, it is hard!

Twin boys 04/2005 : Support breastfeeding rights at FirstRight.Org : warrior
Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat
#5 of 6 Old 08-02-2007, 09:48 AM

I second the milk donor suggestion. I would use store-bought formula if I couldn't bf. Goat's milk may be closer to bm, but I would think it is still a renal strain for infant kidneys. Even if formula companies are awful to support, at least their batches are uniform and tested.
Do you at least scald the raw milk before giving it to your baby? I'd be really nervous to give raw milk to a baby... please excuse my ignorance if I am not enlightened on something here.
#6 of 6 Old 08-02-2007, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Breastmilk is raw and unpasteurized... I assume that if it's from a sanitary ranch, there's nothing to worry about.

Kristi

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page