anyone have an eczema CURE story? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 14 Old 07-21-2008, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
cradle cap turned into dermatitis, now spreading down ds's face. the scalp seems to be clearing, the face getting worse.

i've been on some kind of diet for a YEAR. i had GD, then i went on colic diet (restricting many foods), i've been off dairy for three weeks (i was off it for his first six weeks), i've been on this Dr Sear's elimination diet for 5 days:

lamb
green/yellow squash
rice
pears
sweet potato
salt

today i switched to alkaline foods in an attempt to stop the burning he has.

i am a lactating woman, so now i'm deficient in almost everything and feeling emotionally low because of it. this can't go on. i'm sick of diets, esp cos now i weigh less than 50 kilos and am becoming snappy and weepy.

help me. can someone help me? i'm seeing a chiro on wed, a homeopath this week, a paediatrician (he has LOTS of mucous and strings of white stuff in the green of his diarrhea filled nappies ).

i can't deny myself much longer without falling apart. has anyone actually cured eczema; do they grow out of dermatitis?

PS, we are both on probiotics. I also upped my vit B intake as biotin deficiency is linked to dermatitis.

Hunger is political.  Wherever there is widespread hunger, it is because people with guns are preventing other people from bringing in food.  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 07-21-2008, 01:55 PM

I don't know if I can help but to you! We've dealt with minor eczema with 2 of my boys, one has cradle cap behind his ears and bit of eczema behind one of his knees, the other has some eczema on his back. We use unrefined shea butter that I get from: www.naturessheabutter.com , and it cleared up the eczema on my son's back. The cradle cap is still there but much better.

Good luck!!

Proud mama to three bouncing unschooled boys:, Ian5/02, Connor9/04, and Andrew1/08!:::: Milk Donors!familybed2.gifwaterbirth.jpghomeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdizzy.gif

#3 of 14 Old 07-21-2008, 01:59 PM

I don't have any great advice but I am going to pray for your little one. I know how hard eczema is. I just inherited a dermalight80...I have not used it yet but it is suppose to help.

#4 of 14 Old 07-21-2008, 02:06 PM

My 3yo gets bad eczema if exposed to ANY dairy. I know you said you are off dairy but is that including casein, whey and calcium lactate? These things all make my son react. His eczema completely goes away when he is off all dairy for a couple weeks. Do your probiotics have dairy (most do)?

Another thing that helped me was to use a calendula preparation on the eczema. I used gel but it has alcohol in it and that can sting. I use it on my kiddos and just blow on it when I apply it to evaporate the alcohol and it doesn't bother them. I had eczema on both eyelids for several months and calendula was the only thing that ever worked on it. It took it away completely and never returned. It took 2 + weeks to go away with 3/ day applications. It started getting better right way.

I hope you find some sort of answers and that you can start eating much more variety soon. I am so sorry you are going through this ordeal.

Wendi
#5 of 14 Old 07-21-2008, 02:17 PM

My babe is not dealing with eczema but I have been. The thing that worked for me was acupuncture. It took many a session but it worked.

Eczema is so tricky like that - it's so very hard to pin point what exactly is causing the eczema.
#6 of 14 Old 07-21-2008, 02:39 PM

I ditto the dairy. Both kids had severe eczema for the first 2-3 yrs of life until I removed dairy (especially milk) from their diet. It cleared up in a matter of days and has never reoccured over the past 3 yrs. Now that I have #3 and am bf, I have virtually emliminated if from my diet as well.
#7 of 14 Old 07-21-2008, 03:24 PM

Acupuncture!

After 31 years of miserable eczema (did improve as I got older - but still yucky) allergies, etc. I had gone to countless doctors, homeopaths, allergists, eliminated foods, etc. and acupuncture has made the biggest difference with the least side effects (none that I can think of - except increased energy and no more itchiness

I don't know what the minimum age for acupuncture is but I know my 5 year old niece (who has very severe allergies & eczema)has started going and is experiencing tremendous relief.
#8 of 14 Old 07-21-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaraboosMama View Post
Acupuncture!

After 31 years of miserable eczema (did improve as I got older - but still yucky) allergies, etc. I had gone to countless doctors, homeopaths, allergists, eliminated foods, etc. and acupuncture has made the biggest difference with the least side effects (none that I can think of - except increased energy and no more itchiness

I don't know what the minimum age for acupuncture is but I know my 5 year old niece (who has very severe allergies & eczema)has started going and is experiencing tremendous relief.
: Acupuncture Rocks.

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
#9 of 14 Old 07-21-2008, 03:37 PM

OOps forgot to mention I continued to eat everything in moderation. I did not have that much of a bearing. Plus I feel if mommy is not happy then everyone is not happy so I continued to eat it all. I took a Fish/flaxb/orage ( your basic Trader Joes) supplement and that did the trick. I also take a 1/2 teaspon of avocado oil (or eat one) one day and extra virgin olive oil the next. My skin has never looked better and ds's is great! I still eat everything and will the next time too. Elimination diets are ridiculous all they prove is you can't eat this or that they do not solve the acutual problem and most of the time a mama is so stressed about what she CANNOT eat that her milk supply goes down if not fron that but from lack of caloric intake.

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
#10 of 14 Old 07-21-2008, 03:43 PM

Elimination diets do work if you eliminate the offending food. Someteimes there isn't a food cause so then elimination diets wouldn't work. Once I eliminated dairy from my diet my dairy allergic son's eczema went completely away. Taking supplements did nothing to solve his dairy allergy.
Wendi
#11 of 14 Old 07-21-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaraboosMama View Post
I don't think there's necessarily a minimum age but my acupuncturist was saying that it's a matter of being able to lay still and allow for the little needles to stay in place for the recommended amount of time.

I didn't have any side effects with acupuncture - I did it while pregnant too. It was very very relaxing.

Yeah, I didn't notice any difference in eliminating different things from my diet - I did dairy and wheat. Also, the acupuncturist was able to tell that I had too much heat in my body so she recommended staying away from "hot" food - which doesn't mean just spicey, and upping the cooling foods into my diet.

Also, I noticed that when I drank lots of water it really helped with itching and all the not-so-fun stuff that comes along with it.
#12 of 14 Old 07-21-2008, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

to those who cleared it - how long did it take to clear once you'd eliminated the problem food?

Hunger is political.  Wherever there is widespread hunger, it is because people with guns are preventing other people from bringing in food.  
#13 of 14 Old 07-21-2008, 07:17 PM

For my dairy allergic son it takes about 3 hours for the eczema to show up and about 2 weeks for it to be completely gone. It starts healing within about 3-5 days without any dairy but takes up to 2 weeks to look like just skin.
Wendi
#14 of 14 Old 07-21-2008, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

ds's skin is getting worse on his face, better on his scalp (although he still scratches it like mad). the blisters are merging into raised, red patches.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page