Kombucha and nursing? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 05-01-2009, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but have any of you been told not to drink Kombucha while nursing? I read somewhere that it is a no no due to the detoxifying effects it can have and that the toxins can end up in the BM. DS will be 2 in July if that matters.

Angel, teaches Psych, married to Martin, chiropractor since 06/25/05 , Mama to DS, Quinn 7/11/07 and DD, Eliza 8/2/10 :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 05-02-2009, 12:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes, exactly that.
#3 of 8 Old 05-02-2009, 09:42 AM

i have been drinking kombucha for years and have been drinking it my babys whole life, she is 6 months.

#4 of 8 Old 05-02-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by organicmidwestmama View Post
i have been drinking kombucha for years and have been drinking it my babys whole life, she is 6 months.
I think there's a difference between continuing to drink it vs starting. I assumed from the OP's post (and wow, I've been really missing on my assumptions lately ) that the OP was contemplating starting.
#5 of 8 Old 05-02-2009, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I've never been hard core into kombucha, but I had my first when DS was about 1.5 and casually since then. He's 3.5 now and still breastfeeding. I have finally gotten into the swing of making it, so I'll likely increase my intake quite substantially.

If it's worth anything he drinks it too....maybe that will then bring the toxins out of him?: It's my (un-reasearched opinion) that it's not worth putting off for years and that in moderation or a gradual build up that there are worse things you could be putting into your body.

Laurie, wife to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DH (Aug/04), mom to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DS1 (Nov/05),
DS2 (June/12),
DD (May/15). 
#6 of 8 Old 05-03-2009, 12:28 AM

I started drinking kombucha and am nursing a 6 mo old. I have the same question. I'm assuming in small quantities it would not be harmful in breastmilk. I'm drinking it for the probiotic benefits.
#7 of 8 Old 05-03-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maizy View Post
I started drinking kombucha and am nursing a 6 mo old. I have the same question. I'm assuming in small quantities it would not be harmful in breastmilk. I'm drinking it for the probiotic benefits.
There are other probiotic foods and drinks that would be quite beneficial without mobilizing toxins. The problem isn't the kombucha itself transferring into your breastmilk, it's the potential for the toxins that kombucha mobilizes.

Water kefir, milk kefir, and fermented veggies are all good sources of probiotics that do not have the same ability to mobilize toxins.
#8 of 8 Old 05-03-2009, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
There are other probiotic foods and drinks that would be quite beneficial without mobilizing toxins. The problem isn't the kombucha itself transferring into your breastmilk, it's the potential for the toxins that kombucha mobilizes.

Water kefir, milk kefir, and fermented veggies are all good sources of probiotics that do not have the same ability to mobilize toxins.
Thanks! This is what I figured. I have been drinking it occasionally for a long time, but not regularly. So, I think I'll just steer clear for the most part until DS weans. Thanks!

Angel, teaches Psych, married to Martin, chiropractor since 06/25/05 , Mama to DS, Quinn 7/11/07 and DD, Eliza 8/2/10 :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page