nutritional value of stock--as good as supplementing? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 10 Old 05-26-2009, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've decided to do the Cure Tooth Decay thing. One of the foods in his protocol is 2 cups beef/chicken stock daily.

I've searched online for info about the nutrient value of stock but everything I've found is vague. As is, unfortunately, the info in Nourishing Traditions.

I know stock provides SOME calcium and magnesium, for example. But enough to meet my body's daily requirement (and I'm nursing a toddler, so I need extra)?

And what about the other trace minerals?

Does anyone know anything specific about the nutritional value of stock? If so, where did you get your info?

Or, what opinions do you have about this? Does your own family stick to raw milk/stock/cod liver oil and believe you're getting all the nutrients you need?

Emily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 05-26-2009, 03:26 PM

We can't do dairy, so bone broth is our main source of calcium. I actually went out and bought an aquarium calcium test kit to try and guess, and I posted here. My best guess right now is somewhere on the order of 1500mg/L Ca.

But I don't think it can be a reliable source of magnesium. Bones store a significant portion of your body's Mg, but if you look at it in terms of percentage of the bone, it's really, really low. Add that to the fact that calcium and magnesium compete for absorption, and that calcium tends to win, I just use it for calcium and get my magnesium elsewhere.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#3 of 10 Old 05-26-2009, 08:36 PM

#4 of 10 Old 05-26-2009, 10:06 PM

I also do Susun Weed's herbal infusions.
I try to do them daily. Her book Healing Wise is a good basic book.
All of them are. Her website www.susunweed.com is also helpful for information.
They are my main supplement, along with broth, fermented foods, saturated fats, CLO etc...but weeds steeped overnight give us lots of minerals and trace minerals
#5 of 10 Old 05-28-2009, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 501 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
I really need to get into the herbs - we already eat a lot of broths, raw milk, nuts, etc but I recently started taking a multi-mineral supp & it's made a big difference in how I feel. I feel much calmer, yet have more energy. I also added ACE, so that might account for the energy, but I definitely noticed the calming effect when I added the minerals. On top of that, I take a *ton* of magnesium citrate with no change in bowels - I must need A LOT of mag.

Mama
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to Girl 2/00, Girl 1/03, Boy 3/06, Boy 11/10, and Girl! 7/15!
#6 of 10 Old 05-29-2009, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone, for the great info and for taking the time to respond.

I'm taking everything into consideration...

Emily
#7 of 10 Old 05-29-2009, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewater View Post
I also do Susun Weed's herbal infusions.
I try to do them daily. Her book Healing Wise is a good basic book.
All of them are. Her website www.susunweed.com is also helpful for information.
They are my main supplement, along with broth, fermented foods, saturated fats, CLO etc...but weeds steeped overnight give us lots of minerals and trace minerals
You all inspired me to post an Herbal infusion study group thread. Would love input on this new (for me) topic.

Thanks, Pat

I have a blog.
#8 of 10 Old 05-31-2009, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
I really need to get into the herbs - we already eat a lot of broths, raw milk, nuts, etc but I recently started taking a multi-mineral supp & it's made a big difference in how I feel. I feel much calmer, yet have more energy. I also added ACE, so that might account for the energy, but I definitely noticed the calming effect when I added the minerals. On top of that, I take a *ton* of magnesium citrate with no change in bowels - I must need A LOT of mag.
Metasequoia, my internet twin...

May I ask what multi-mineral supplement you are taking? And what is ACE? Did you decide to give it to your kiddos? I'm under quite a bit of stress right now (moving back to the USA) and I think I may need to take a supplement for a while, even though I hate taking them. Would you mind sharing what you are taking?
#9 of 10 Old 12-12-2010, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

bump!

#10 of 10 Old 12-12-2010, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

One way that I saw that bone broth was actually making an impact, nutritionally, was a while back when I was using pH strips to test my morning urine.  Based on the rec of my HCP, I'd tweaked the amount of a multi-mineral supp (mostly cal and mag, a variety of other stuff that I think was good/helpful but not affecting this in particular) and I saw that the day after I ate a lot of soup, the pH of my urine would change in the same way as if I took an extra cal/mag pill.  I played around with it a few times, it was repeatable.  And I agree with Theloose, I don't count on bone broth for magnesium, and often I find that stresses on my body deplete mag faster than cal anyway, so a stand-alone there is helpful for me, I just vary the amount. 

I haven't tested this, but I think cell salts help enough with absorption that they would noticeably help--I've seen symptomatic change when I take (or skip) bioplasma that are what I used to see when I'd increase my supps.  It's the only supp I've taken that has actually saved us money by decreasing the amount of other things we need to supplement. 

eta: I didn't realize this was so old.  But I came back to say, I think overall amounts of supps aren't just dependent on current needs (though the needs of pregnancy or nursing are quite real) but needs can be longer-term too, more if you're working on long-term health issues, less if you're feeling ok/good and just trying to do better.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page