How long does your dairy keep? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 12 Old 10-02-2009, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know that raw dairy doesn't spoil the same way that pasteurized dairy does, but what's your comfort limit?

We get raw milk every other week, and have had no problems with it keeping the full 2 weeks. However, we just got heavy cream exactly one week ago and today it's starting to take on a "tangy" smell and separate a little on the bottom to a "slimy" texture.

We got butter 3 weeks ago...and now it definitely has a strong tangy smell.

I'm wondering if I should take what I'm going to use for the week then freeze the rest...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 10-02-2009, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For me, I start noticeing my raw milk going sour around day 9 or 10. I get new stuff every week, and can't quite imagine going 2 weeks between pickups. The only butter I've ever had from raw milk I kept in the freezer till I needed a pound and then it was eaten before it started to 'turn' as it were.. I've never had just straight cream so IDK about that. HTH!!
#3 of 12 Old 10-02-2009, 10:24 PM

we also get milk every other week, and it's usually fine, though occasionally goes bad early... makes me wonder if it'd been sitting a day or two at the farm on those occasions. i keep it on the bottom shelf all the way in the back, which keeps it good and cold, that helps.

cream definitely goes back before milk, IME. as does butter. i've had home made butter turn in just a few days. so yes, i would freeze, butter freezes really well. i buy it by the roll at a mennonite market and buy a few rolls at a time and freeze and it thaws out perfectly.

#4 of 12 Old 10-03-2009, 07:36 PM

milk, 10-11 days before getting a bit tangy, butter usually 3 weeks and yogurt, like forever! especially if I make it from scratch.

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#5 of 12 Old 10-03-2009, 09:16 PM

we don't like our milk after a week, so we freeze the second weeks' milk (also get it every other week).
#6 of 12 Old 10-03-2009, 09:23 PM

How long does your butter last in the freezer? My raw cream source will only be milking until Thanksgiving so I would like to make enough butter to last me until the spring but I wasn't sure if it would keep that long in the freezer. Also what do you wrap it in or store it in both in the fridge and the freezer? Thanks so much
#7 of 12 Old 10-04-2009, 12:17 AM

Our farmer said to get a refrigerator thermometer and make sure the temp is no higher than 38 degrees. Our milk usually lasts four weeks at that temp. I had to move the thermometer around to see which part of the fridge stayed the coldest first....
#8 of 12 Old 10-06-2009, 02:44 PM

I have friends who keep their milk under ice and it keeps for over a month. I keep mine in the fridge as close to 33 as possible and it lasts over 2 weeks, but is usually gone by then. Cream should last a bit longer especially if you make it into butter and remove the whey. The separation at the bottom is the whey and it is what allows the cream to go bad faster. Try culturing it with preferred bacteria so other don't grow.

Butter is easy to freeze. Milk freezes ok, but changes texture sometimes and the cream does not quite mix back in. Cream we freeze into cubes for my hubbys coffee. Keeps them from going bad before he uses it all and cools the coffe to drinking temperature quickly.
#9 of 12 Old 10-06-2009, 02:46 PM

It should last as long as or longer than breastmilk, so 6 months is a good estimate.

Wrap it in parchment, freezer paper then foil tightly. Or parchment and food saver vac it. The food saver will remove all air and keep it longer than other wraps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglebug14 View Post
How long does your butter last in the freezer? My raw cream source will only be milking until Thanksgiving so I would like to make enough butter to last me until the spring but I wasn't sure if it would keep that long in the freezer. Also what do you wrap it in or store it in both in the fridge and the freezer? Thanks so much
#10 of 12 Old 10-06-2009, 02:51 PM

Culturing your cream and butter makes it more nutritions and extends it's life greatly. Culturing it introduces good bacteria and prevents bad ones from forming. bodyecology.com has culture starters.

Butter should last far longer than a few weeks to a few days. Is this all raw butter? Are you all rinsing the whey out of your butter? It is staying in the fridge?

Even in a covered dish at room temp it should last about a month.
#11 of 12 Old 10-06-2009, 04:05 PM

Butter will keep longer if it's salted.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#12 of 12 Old 10-10-2009, 08:45 PM

mine lasted 14 days and counting this time! I am amazed. It doesn't even smell like it's fermenting or anything yet. Must have been fresh from the cow!

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page