Recipes please! Grass fed swiss steak/cube steak - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 05-11-2010, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have some nice organic grass fed swiss steak and cube steak in the freezer, but I don't know what to do with it. They seem to be about the same thing: not-quite-ground beef. Any good recipes?

Thanks!

Retired Ohio midwife. Mama to my boy E, born 7/05
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 05-11-2010, 04:31 PM

I like to braise it. I cook some onions and garlic in some fat. Then I add the meat, and brown it a bit, then pour on some hot stock, just enough so that the meat is sitting in some liquid, but not drowned in it. Then I cover it and simmer about three hours. About an hour into the cooking, I cut up some sweet red peppers and add them to the sauce along with a big spoonful of tomato paste. About ten or fifteen minutes before we eat it, I add a splash of red wine vinegar and a bit of molasses, and simmer it uncovered for a bit.

Right before we eat it, I lift the meat out, and then stir a few lightly beaten egg yolks into the sauce, to thicken it. If you use wheat flour, you can also use that to thicken. Or you can serve it thin, if you prefer.

We like it served with potatoes roasted in olive oil, and some green veggies. This time of year, we like it with asparagus. It's also good with roasted summer veggies, like zucchinis or tomatoes or more peppers or eggplant.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#3 of 6 Old 05-11-2010, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love the way my mom used to make cube steak when I was a kid. She would fry them up in butter with green onions. Then pour red wine over them, put a cover on the pan, and cook until they didn't bleed. Serve it up with mashed potatoes and it was the most amazing meal! Great, now I'm craving cube steak!

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#4 of 6 Old 05-19-2010, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!
I'll be trying these. If anyone has any more, please post em!

Retired Ohio midwife. Mama to my boy E, born 7/05
#5 of 6 Old 05-20-2010, 05:28 PM

I've used this recipe with Cube steaks:

Quote:
FLANK STEAK WITH MUSTARD CAPER SAUCE

4 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. salad oil
1 flank steak (about 1 1/2 lbs.)
3 tbsp. dry vermouth or dry white wine
1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tbsp. capers, drained well
Watercress, optional

Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter with the oil in a wide frying pan over medium high heat. Place meat in pan and cook, uncovered, until meat is browned on both sides but still pink in center when slashed (5 to 6 minutes total).

Transfer meat to a carving board and cover loosely to keep warm. Over low heat, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons butter in pan drippings. Mix in vermouth, mustard, Worcestershire, and capers; stir briskly to blend. Cut meat across the grain into thin slanting slices. Spoon sauce over meat. Garnish with watercress, if desired.

Makes 4 servings.
I saute some onion and mushroom in the butter before adding sauce ingredients, and then add extra capers and mustard, but we like strong flavors!

Married to an Ogre, Mother of Danora Rose 12/31/2008 and missing Evan Michael 12/31/2008 Expecting someone new 7/11/2011

#6 of 6 Old 05-21-2010, 02:22 PM

We don't have cube steaks very often, but when we do I use this recipe:
http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Cub...om-Gravy-76478
Something about that nice long 1.5 hour simmer makes them so tender. Delicious!

Life with a toddler: it's not so much the volume, it's the pitch!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page