Suggestion on superfoods? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 21 Old 07-15-2015, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Suggestion on superfoods?

Hi all,
I’m new to this discussion and need some advice on superfoods. Recently I have heard that adding superfoods to our diet can boost up health and they have the ability to fight diseases. So I’m planning to add some superfoods to my diet. I’m trying it for the first time. My diet doesn’t include any superfoods before, so I’m little worried if there might be any side effects. So if someone having superfoods in their diet plans, please share your ideas. Thanks.

Last edited by ian'smommaya; 11-29-2016 at 07:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 07-15-2015, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Hi there, we have been eating superfoods and a high nutrient diet for about 10 years now and we are very healthy. Are you pregnant? If so, double check the info in my post before adopting any new dietary changes.

With a superfood you get two things: 1) more complete nutritional profile in a single food and 2) more concentrated nutrients per volume.

We actually practice paleoCRON so we eat very very small quantity of food but it's very very nutrient-dense.

My guideline for superfoods isn't to follow the "superfood" commentaries found online, though some of them are pretty accurate; instead I spent lots of time looking at "foods highest in" "nutrient x" and sifting through the results. Then I got a sense of how much of, say, parsley is needed to meet the nutrient needs of daily magnesium, for example. I use a free weight loss macronutrient tracking site online and kept running the diet through the calculator until I met or exceeded US RDA requirements for minerals and vitamins. So I figured out that for iron, for example, liver is a superfood (and for B12 vitamin) so I calculated how much liver we should eat per week.

One thing about what are considered "superfoods" is that they aren't all "created equal." I've seen lists with strawberries as a superfood but berries can be extremely high in contaminants like pesticides and they are unecological unless grown locally in season. They're also usually expensive and thus a poor value over all. So to me a truly "super"food is as whole and natural and fresh as possible. I'm not just going to start buying strawberries all year long just because they're on a list. I look for an alternative instead.

Do your research about how much you need. It's not good for the kidneys to have too many electrolytes or minerals, for example. So understand that a superfood is not just nourishing but saving wear and tear on the body by needing only a small quantity of food to process.

Some superfoods we use:

algae powder
dandelion
herbs of all kinds
peas
eggs
liver
butter
red wine
#3 of 21 Old 07-22-2015, 09:33 PM

Hi sprfoo21,
I would suggest buy as much organic products as possible. Especially berries, apples, lettuce and broccoli..All are superfoods-pumabearclan is right. Unless they are organic , they are full with pesticides. Here is a link to a website that gives you a list of most superfoods http://organicsfs.com/superfoods-list/. There are so many superfoods. Start with the yummy one. Chose one or two of each group. And the less processed of course the better.
I take wheatgrass tablets and spirulina. I know the best way to take it to juice the wheatgrass or use powder in your smoothy, but I don't like the taste. If you want you can make your morning smoothy power house of superfoods and antioxidants.

Last edited by Maggie stoy; 07-22-2015 at 10:01 PM.

#4 of 21 Old 10-12-2015, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hiya!

Great question.. being an herb enthusiast, I too try to take as many of these wonderful gifts nature has left us.

Here's my list of the best natural herbs to take in order:

1. Black Seed Oil
2. Turmeric
3. Argan Oil
4. Fish Oil
5. Castor Oil

And the last one that's not technically and herb, but does WONDERS to the body, is honey.

Natural Health Enthusiastic
Full Time Mother
California Girl at Heart

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#5 of 21 Old 10-31-2015, 01:19 PM

Have you ever hear about Peruvian Sacha Inchi Oil? . Sacha Inchi is a nut from Peru, it has the highest level of omega 3,6,9 in the world. You could buy the nut or the oil, both are heathy.
#6 of 21 Old 11-12-2015, 09:39 PM

Great Question, here are some superfoods offering super health protection.

Beans
Blueberries
Broccoli
Oats
Oranges
Pumpkin
Salmon
Soy
Spinach
Tea (green or black)
Tomatoes
Turkey
Walnuts
Yogurt
#7 of 21 Old 11-13-2015, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Some foods are higher in some minerals or vitamins but this does not make them healthier. One of such foods is spinach that is high in iron and folate. This does not make it a superfood but it can be a convenient source for vegetarians (spinach is a good vegetable source of iron).
http://www.ehealthstar.com/is-spinac...ad-for-you.php

You need to consume only as much minerals and vitamins as your body needs; any thing in excess of that would be likely just excreted with the urine.
#8 of 21 Old 12-06-2015, 01:18 AM

The OP looks like a spammer to me, but I'm curious if anyone has experience - I've recently bought some sacha inchi powder to try. Is it best used in a smoothie? Does it go thick or gloopy or anything? It was kind of expensive, so I don't want to make too many experimental dishes with it!
#9 of 21 Old 02-24-2016, 02:54 AM

Super food which I am using are :
Leafy greens
Broccoli
Avocado
Blueberries
Beans
Walnuts
Wild samon
Chocolate
Chia seeds
#10 of 21 Old 03-03-2016, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Here are my personal favorites:

Quinoa: Magnesium rich, protein rich. Magnesium deficiency is relatively often deficiency.
Chia: Lots of benefits, but I especially love its iron content.
Potatoes: Yea potatoes, they have all of the needed nutrients for survival. There was a study, where one guy was eating only potatoes for 60 days to prove he is right. I'll link to this in the end of the post.
Broccoli: High in Vitamin C and folate.
Turmeric: My new favorite spice, there are many benefits in eating it, I suggest you Google it. Btw, it tastes like curry (actually it's one of the ingredients in curry)
Brazil nuts: Great for hair and nails, high in protein and magnesium.

The potato eating man: http://www.livescience.com/10163-man...-2-months.html
#11 of 21 Old 03-21-2016, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for all these recommendations!!!
#12 of 21 Old 03-21-2016, 10:37 PM

You're welcome

Full Time Mother
California Girl at Heart

#13 of 21 Old 03-21-2016, 10:45 PM

And by the way.. has anyone heard anything about garcinia cambogia? There aren't too many in depth garcinia cambogia reviews out there...

Full Time Mother
California Girl at Heart

#14 of 21 Old 04-06-2016, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I really like Joel Fuhrman's list of superfoods in "Super Immunity" all of which are common foods. All I remember off the top of my head are alliums (onions and garlic), berries, nuts, spices, leafy greens...

I also follow Sarah Ballantyne's food guidance for AIP, where the superfoods are organ meats/offal, shellfish, (high omega 3 fish of course) and "rainbow of vegetables." Or to get more specific info on vegetables, Terry Wahls has a similar diet but divides veggies I think into green, colored, and sulphuric...

#15 of 21 Old 08-26-2016, 06:48 AM

Some super foods are:
Oats, Leafy greens, Avocado, Broccoli, Chia seeds, Almonds, Eggs, Quinoa, Yogurt.
#16 of 21 Old 11-28-2016, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Cottage cheese, salmon, yogurt, moringa.
#17 of 21 Old 01-12-2017, 09:54 AM

superfoods

hi if youve ever bought or still buy superfoods could you please help me out with my school project by answering this really quick survey thank you!

please copy this link -https://goo.gl/forms/8CqSuPh1s0N44BXC3
#18 of 21 Old 02-02-2017, 12:06 PM

"Superfoods" is just a fancy word used to refer to many nutrient-rich foods. Everyone has their own list of superfoods, which usually contain green vegetables, citrus fruits, whole grains, healthy nuts and/or white meats.
#19 of 21 Old 03-04-2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia Fortea View Post
"Superfoods" is just a fancy word used to refer to many nutrient-rich foods. Everyone has their own list of superfoods, which usually contain green vegetables, citrus fruits, whole grains, healthy nuts and/or white meats.
Yes agree. Now there's even brand name with "Superfood"
#20 of 21 Old 08-08-2017, 08:04 AM

Turmeric is a superfood. Check this out https://goo.gl/8LKvcc
#21 of 21 Old 04-15-2020, 10:00 PM

Hello

As we know, Superfoods helps your diet a healthy boost, while reducing your risk of heart disease, memory loss, and other health problems.

It's a healthy one! But firstly you can discuss with someone, who helps you and give you the right advice on the superfood.

Shop for the best and durable superfoods online from Medicinal Food. we have a unique
collection of superfoods and you can easily get the perfect one for you and your health. To know more and to buy, please visit: medicinal-foods.com

Tags
diet , superfoods

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page